KS95's Budget Car!

KS95

RACER Moderator
KS95's Reasonably Priced Car!

This is my attempt lol. I can't promise it'll look good, I can try!

Mine will be a hatchback. I'm following Audi's new principle of having forced induction to substitute displacement. There's loads left to do but here's two screenies to show you what it looks like so far, sorry for the bad quality (stupid Gimp!!)

Thanks. Me too lol, but I deleted it and re-did the arse, and finished it. Well, sort of. It feels a bit blank, but oh well. Now I'm just doing the front's shape.

Will add pictures shortly!

Da da-da-da! Here are these pictures. The front is a huge WIP, I'm not too sure on the rear lights, but tough and it's missing lots of stuff like chrome bits etcetera..

car4.gif

car3v.gif

Not that there's been much attention to this, however I'm just letting you guys know that I doubt I'll be continuing this. I have a lot on my mind, I just need to deal with it before I do anything else.

• Tiberius

Not that there's been much attention to this, however I'm just letting you guys know that I doubt I'll be continuing this. I have a lot on my mind, I just need to deal with it before I do anything else.

If it means anything, I'm trying to stay well out of this concept thing (it's your design after all, what's the point of me saying what I like or dislike? :smile:), probably other people will stay away for the same reasons.

But..for what it's worth, that looks much better than my first attempt, one day I'll dig out my first attempt at modelling and show everyone, it wasn't pretty. Neither was my second, third or fourth attempt, but in the end you get the hang of it and eventually it actually becomes quite easy.

It's not as easy as it looks at first, eh? :smile: If you want some advice, if you do decide to carry on, you really need to get some ideas down on paper. Even if you're crap at drawing it really helps just to get some basic shapes sketched out on a sheet. Nothing too detailed, just the basic lines of the car, the wheels etc. Then you could scan them into your computer (or just use them as reference if you can't scan them), make a really basic model just using those lines. Then you can change your design around before you put too many polies into it, the more polies you put in the harder it becomes to change, so you really want to keep it simple in the early stages.

But..for what it's worth, that looks much better than my first attempt, one day I'll dig out my first attempt at modelling and show everyone, it wasn't pretty. Neither was my second, third or fourth attempt, but in the end you get the hang of it and eventually it actually becomes quite easy.

It's not as easy as it looks at first, eh? :smile: If you want some advice, if you do decide to carry on, you really need to get some ideas down on paper. Even if you're crap at drawing it really helps just to get some basic shapes sketched out on a sheet. Nothing too detailed, just the basic lines of the car, the wheels etc. Then you could scan them into your computer (or just use them as reference if you can't scan them), make a really basic model just using those lines. Then you can change your design around before you put too many polies into it, the more polies you put in the harder it becomes to change, so you really want to keep it simple in the early stages.
It looks better than my first attempt at modeling lol (enter the first model of my Town and Country here, which really the released version didn't look much better anyways). Though before that I tried to make a car with splines, thinking I could somehow fill the splines in Zmod lmao.

I'd have to agree 100% with what Tiberius has said on his 2nd paragraph, 1st model isn't the easiest to look at, but in this case, put something on paper that will give you an idea of the shape your going for. Really the 1st idea I had for a concept was completely down on paper already (down to just about the littlest details) only reason I didn't go with it is because i felt it would of broke the 16k$ price limit (if you want an idea of what it looks like, think of the front end of an Auburn Cord, but updated looking, and a PT Cruiser blended together).

Anyways I do suggest you carry on with the model, if not for the competition for you, so you can learn modeling that little bit better. and like Tiberius said, the more polies the harder it is for you (and just for an idea my 1987 Caravan, barely broke 10k polies, and oddly enough even my Omni, in its current stage of development hasn't broken 10k polies yet. Just saying though :)

@Tiberius: I'd quite like feedback, no matter in what form it is. After all, I'm a complete modelling noob, and I don't know much about designing cars either. And thanks, although I have to be honest, I've attempted modelling before but never exactly succeeded, this is my best attempt so far.

Yes I agree, I realised just how necessary it is to have some sort of plan while modelling. When I started it I didn't even know what it was going to be, it just sort of morphed into a hatchback. I'll have to get a power cable* for my new printer as this old one has gave up on life. Question: Is there some way of dividing larger polies?

* Does anyone know where to get an Epson power cable? :/

@Harey: Thanks Harey. I'm not sure whether I'll continue with this model or just start again on a new design. Either way, I think I'll do what 2o6 did and work on it/complete after the deadline.

As I've said, I'm going through some crap at the moment, so I doubt I'll be doing any modelling until it's sorted. Thanks guys!

Baboom.

I started modeling an interior today, not quite sure why, but it seems to have came out quite nicely. Not sure what it's for yet, or where else to put it so here shall do lol

dash1a.jpg

Nice, although it's hard to to tell what it.. oh wait, its one side of the dash?;) Tib told me to model with quads not triangle to have a smoother mesh, thats what I should do anyway:)
Keep it up!

Haha, yeah, it's basically just the bottom surface. I'll mirror it then add the A/C vents, radio, steering column etc.. xD Thanks Mingus :)

Here's a bit more progress.
dash1a.jpg

I had started the steering column...area... but Zmod crashed. Ah well ;)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 276 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 138 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 244 13.5%