Kind of lost with all the products (Wheel base and pedals)

Hello !

Even tough I'm trying to learn by myself as much as possible, I'm getting kind of lost with all the products available when stepping away from Logitech, Thrustmaster and Fanatec. I'm getting the difference in technologies (belt driven, direct drive for base, load cell or not for pedals) but I'm lost at all the different brands selling these products. Every time I open a new post, I feel like a find a new brand selling either a new base, wheel or pedals.

Is there somewhere a guide to the major and rising brands (outside of the 3 mentioned above) to explain their product and placement ?

The long story short is that I'm looking to upgrade from a G29 to something more realistic without ruining by wallet, so the Podium series from Fanatec is out of my league, but I could consider the pricing of the CSW2.5.

Thanks in advance ! :)

Most guides that I have found were outdated;
slog thru Sim Racing Garage reviews.
IMO, G29 pedals can be upgraded, and load cell or equivalent
(force-based braking signal) is more important than brand.
If you used and liked G29 buttons and paddle shifters,
then you probably want them on its replacement.
If you mostly used only its paddle shifters,
then consider a sequential shifter and bare wheel:
  • probably cheaper, but more reliable.
Based on your residence, cost-effectiveness of alternatives vary.
A new CSW2.5 costs about US$550, plus about $200 for a Fanatec wheel.
Instead, a VRS Direct Force Pro costs $800; add $25 for eBay steering rim and $50 for a MiGE clamp.
Quick release is optional until/unless you decide to collect wheels...

IN Asia or Oz, Simagic may be a better choice; in U.K., Sim-plicity

Upvote 0
Thanks for that !
Indeed I'm thinking of moving from the G29 to get something less noisy and with a better sensations, so I don't think I'll upgrade that wheel.

You've actually put the exact links that started putting confusion in my mind. Simagic and Simplicity.
Yesterday I saw that Sim-plicity with some relatively cheap DD base and I got confused. The SW8C+ seemed to match my price range, but in order to use it I would need to buy a MiGE Clamp and whatever steering wheel compatible and it would work ? That seem to be easy enough even if not as user friendly (or easy to use) as Fanatec or other packaged brand, but more cost efficient.

And going with some load cell pedals such as the CSL Elite LC would make that a decent setup that won't need to be upgraded until long.

Am I getting it correctly ?

Upvote 0
I don't think I'll upgrade that wheel
G29 pedals can be had on eBay for ~ US$50 and DIY load cell for < $US50

going with some load cell pedals
Most agree load cell brake makes more difference than direct drive.
Search here, there or online for DIY G29 load cell or TrueBrake.
I would need to buy a MiGE Clamp and whatever steering wheel compatible
NOT for SW8C+, which includes Motor Shaft to Steering Wheel Adapter
Yes, and most aftermarket steering wheels (including that eBay 320mm) have 6 holes on 70mm circle.
Small MiGE clamps used to be more often sold separately, but still:
That seem to be easy enough even if not as user friendly (or easy to use) as Fanatec
Consider how user-friendly is a Fanatec wheel connector bent pin..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree on the brakes are more important than the wheel (at least, based on readings, since I never really tested it). This is why I didn't get that much into details on pedals since I think I already know where I want to go.

Thanks for your feedbacks and advices. Maybe a last question on these type of DD bases, do you know if they fit with a GT Apex stand ? I've seen people using Playseat Challenge with them and heard that this was less stable than the Apex stand, so I'm guessing that should work.

Upvote 0
do you know if they fit with a GT Apex stand
Nope, I have not seen one live.
Bolt patterns are all over the place for direct drive wheel bases;
you would need information about e.g. SIM-PLICITY's 80/20 compatible motor mount with Universal base plate
My specific concern about the GT Apex stand, by observation, is that
its wheelbase plate seems excessively cantilevered, from a rigidity perspective, IMO.
On the other hand, direct drive has been done:

Upvote 0
I agree on the brakes are more important than the wheel (at least, based on readings, since I never really tested it). This is why I didn't get that much into details on pedals since I think I already know where I want to go.

Thanks for your feedbacks and advices. Maybe a last question on these type of DD bases, do you know if they fit with a GT Apex stand ? I've seen people using Playseat Challenge with them and heard that this was less stable than the Apex stand, so I'm guessing that should work.

If you're looking for a wheelstand, It will fit the Next Level Racing Wheelstand Pro DD (strength wise) (https://nextlevelracing.com/product...eel-stand-dd-for-direct-drive-wheels/?lang=de).
But its a little bit more expensive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The games/sim that you spend time in will play a major factor in what base would be best for you. If you only play iracing? Then yeah the VRS base is a good choice. Do you play a myriad of other things? I would recommend against that as a direct drive option.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 235 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years