Kimi Raikkonen Fastest in Abu Dhabi Pirelli Test

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Formula One Post Race Abu Dhabi Test.jpg

Kimi Räikkönen and Ferrari top the times in the opening day of Pirelli tyre testing at the Yas Marina Grand Prix circuit earlier today.

Twelve drivers across 10 teams would be present for the opening day of a two day end of season test in Abu Dhabi, primarily intended to give Pirelli much needed data on their new for 2018 tyre range. The test would also be notable for several new faces looking to make a mark ahead of the new season, not least of which would be firm fan favourite and returning star Robert Kubica in the Williams Mercedes.

It wouldn't be plain sailing for all the teams in Abu Dhabi however, with McLaren suffering another difficult day of stoppages in what would be the second last time running Honda power, however it wouldn't be PU related issues that caused the stop this time, it would be a rare mistake from Alonso that led to his orange McLaren spearing off the circuit and causing considerable damage to the car, necessitating a 20 minute delay to the session and leaving the Spaniard to miss several hours running whilst the team repaired the little loved MCL 32 for another shout.

Pirelli would be trying out a new compound in the test, the new for 2018 Ultrasoft, a tyre that has received near unanimous praise from the drivers present today, with new World Champion Lewis Hamilton claiming "On early impression, the new hypersoft is the best tyre that Pirelli have produced since returning to F1".

Also of note would be the Williams debut of Robert Kubica in a 2017 specification car, taking to the track for 100 laps as he set the ninth fastest time of the day, some 1.7 seconds shy of the other Williams but thought to be running alternative strategies and tyres when setting their respective quickest laps.

Testing continues into a final day tomorrow.

Pirelli Tyre Test - Day One Results
  1. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 1:37.768 99
  2. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull 1:38.066 109
  3. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:38.551 123
  4. Romain Grosjean Haas 1:39.270 137
  5. Lance Stroll Williams 1:39.580 29
  6. Fernando Alonso McLaren 1:39.762 115
  7. Nico Hulkenberg Renault 1:39.803 85
  8. Nikita Mazepin Force India 1:39.959 90
  9. Robert Kubica Williams 1:41.296 100
  10. Sean Gelael Toro Rosso 1:41.428 117
  11. Marcus Ericsson Sauber 1:41.681 97
  12. Oliver Turvey McLaren 1:41.914 105

Check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news from the premier open wheel series in the world.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Any particular stand out performances from the first test in your opinion? Should Kubica get the Williams drive? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Yeah, not surprising...
he's the fastest when it's least important. Way to go Kim! :thumbsup:
Wish he follow Massa's path now and finally leave one (great) place for so many fast and talented drivers out there.

I'm glad I don't believe that F1 is any indication of driver skill. He's fastest when the cars are even. Just like races should be, except in F1 world. See: Alonso (same age abouts).

Really ? Same cars ? So you suggesting that Sebastian Vettel have much better car than him ?

He's also not much like Alonso, another bad comparison, Alonso although having shitty car for so many years he keept his fighting spirit, Kimi simply lost it.
As Ricciardo said few days before, asked how he feels about losing his third place in championship - considering car he had, Kimi should outscoring him so much more, so much earlier. Only driver in top three teams that don't have any win.

Last win ? Australia, first race of 2013 ! In Lotus. Not one since he rejoins Ferrari, for full four years ! Before that he had at least one win every single year !
I think that says a lot.
Although... this perhaps isn't the best place to talk about Kimi. And his much needed retirement. :)

Yeah, not surprising...
Wish he follow Massa's path now and finally leave one (great) place for so many fast and talented drivers out there.
Why don't you try to drive an F1 car, its not about going well when he wants, is when the engine is new and tyres are good

Really ? Same cars ? So you suggesting that Sebastian Vettel have much better car than him ?

He's also not much like Alonso, another bad comparison, Alonso although having shitty car for so many years he keept his fighting spirit, Kimi simply lost it.
As Ricciardo said few days before, asked how he feels about losing his third place in championship - considering car he had, Kimi should outscoring him so much more, so much earlier. Only driver in top three teams that don't have any win.

Last win ? Australia, first race of 2013 ! In Lotus. Not one since he rejoins Ferrari, for full four years ! Before that he had at least one win every single year !
I think that says a lot.
Although... this perhaps isn't the best place to talk about Kimi. And his much needed retirement. :)
as i said in the message before, when he has equal car he proves he's fast, Vettel receives all of the upgrades before and his car always has something better, or if not, strategy, such as in monaco this year... where he (kimi) proved you wrong as he had more pace than vettel and got pole position

The Kimster had 2 race wins taken away by Ferrari so Vettel would stop crying. And i'm a Vettel fan. What I am surprised about is that Kimi has allowed Ferrari to just slap him around. I guess having 2 kids now will do that eventually. But given the right car he still is the fastest on track.

Oh! Wish he follow Massa's path now and finally leave one place for so many fast and talented drivers out there. gmail login
Sally oh Sally... :giggle: so you've quoted me or ...what ? Why "G-mail login" at the end, you wanna emphasize that there shouldn't be any secrets in our, new born ...relationship ? Or, once again, what ? :D
So this is your first (and only) post here awww... I'm flattered and blushing right here. :)
For reference sake:
Yeah, not surprising...
:cautious:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back