Keyframe cameras vs old style cameras

Has anyone used the new keyframe cameras much?

Right now I'm trying to use KF cameras, but am struggling to get them to track the car nicely.

Just a straight forward track camera on a straight road, car drives past, camera pans to follow. I've set a point at the start, one at 2/5th, one a half way, one at 3/5th, and one at the far end, and the car is still out of view for most of the pan.
It's also time consuming to make so many keyframes. Use just two keyframes and you just never really see the car at all :D

Does any one know how to make a KF camera follow the car, or is it simply not possible to do that with KF cameras?

Without nice car tracking, it'd be nice to use the old cameras, which are ultimately a bit more flexible which is great for certain situations, or essential for tracks with large scope (say a large runway area like Dunsfold).

However, I'm struggling to mix KF cameras with the old style cameras.

So far, I'm struggling to see the benefit of the KF cameras. They are tied to splines, which won't always be able to be everywhere, they seem to remove the ability to use the old style cameras.
The only nice feature they offer is a fixed camera position... something the docs suggest the old ones should have been able to do anyway!

Ruud, are we meant to be using KF cameras for V0.9 content? Should/could we mix old and new cameras?
I feel like the current KF cameras are unfinished and unusable as they stand, so should not be used for V0.9 content... especially if it means losing the old cameras if we use even one KF camera!?
Racer.nl docs suggests the new KF cameras are more flexible than the old rigid track cameras, but it feels almost totally the other way around.

Hmmmm

Any help if I'm missing something obvious, would be much appreciated :D

Dave

Personally, I don't really like the KF cameras either. As soon as the car drives off the road, the KF camera stops following the car, so it is quite useless.

I'm going to stick with the old style cameras.

Personally, I don't really like the KF cameras either. As soon as the car drives off the road, the KF camera stops following the car, so it is quite useless.

I'm going to stick with the old style cameras.

Well, I haven't sacrificed my first born yet, but I'm of the same position :D

If the old style cameras could use the edge/close/far cubes as guides for the dollying movement range maybe, it could be cool.
Or perhaps a seperate radius defined for the dollying movement.

I'm sure I saw on Racer docs a few nights ago the flag settings, 1, 2, 4 and 8 or something, so you use a sum of all four depending what you want, and one of them is a fixed direction camera (ie, won't follow the car)... I thought that was pretty promising if it was made to work properly :D

Either way, the old, not fully functional cameras are still better than the new not fully functional cameras :D

Dave

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back