Kerbs

N

noikeee

• noikeee

I'd like to know what method do you more experienced people use for doing kerbs... do you use a string of objects, or add them as part of the surface, or even do them as some sort of wall?

Last time I tried to do them there was all sorts of issues, with the kerbs as strings of objects not following long corners properly; and also with the kerbs not being very drivable in corners with heavy elevation changes. To be fair that was a long time ago with an older BTB demo version, I could experiment a bit with some try-and-error again, but it's easier to just follow the lead of someone who knows what they're talking about. :tongue: What is the proper way to do kerbs?

There are many ways and not really 1 best way, it all depends on how you look at it. You can use the track, walls, SObjects or make a solid model in blender of sketchup. I highly advise not to use terrain, as it is fiddly and the texture is not mapable.

With the track you add panels to the surface and extend them outwards, but it can become a pain if you have roads entering across the main track or different elevations, I tried this with one of my tracks and it was too much hassle with all the elevation changes and tributaries, in the end I went without a curb.
Then after I had learned more about how things work, on another track that was dead flat and only had one road entering and exiting (the pit). What I did was once I had shaped the track I created another track exactly on top of it by snapping the track nodes to the existing track, then I dragged the sides out and removed the material from the centre leaving an extension on the sides of the track that was separate. With that I shaped curbs.

Walls and SObjects are self explanatory, just make many nodes by drawing the wall and using 'Align to track', this way it will follow the curve. Also with walls, reduce the panel length so its smoother (preferable make it the same length as the track panels). Make sure to make your SObject pieces short and not too long otherwise you will have square corners.

A solid object made in a 3d program, export the track (only the track not the terrain) as .x or extract it as a gmt and import it into your 3d modelling software, then make the curb around it, export the curb and import it into btb, but make small sections, you don't want 1 big section. If all objects have the same centre you can put them all together as a complex object and add the whole lot in as one object, otherwise it will be hard to align.

The one time where using terrain could prove beneficial is if you have a flat (or nearly flat) and wide berm that needs minimal shaping AND you have a hi-res aerial photo that provides the texture as "blend from background".

stripped berms.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back