KartKraft | New Tyre Model Available

Black Delta have dropped a new and long awaited update for their KartKraft racing simulation, adding a new model and a fresh tyre model amongst other things.
  • Update available on Steam now.
  • IAME KA100 kart added.
  • New tyre model.
KartKraft Middle.jpg

Following up from the latest November update, Australian development studio Black Delta have released another major new build for their kart racing simulation - adding a much needed new kart model, and a fresh pass of the universal tyre model within the simulation - which should make a positive impact on the way the force feedback behaves for the end user.

Update Notes:
  • The IAME KA100 class has been added to KartKraft. With 22HP and a maximum RPM of 15,000, the new class uses the medium grip MG Red tyre and requires very precise and smooth inputs to achieve good lap times. We look forward to your feedback on the new class.
Tyre Model
  • The tyre model has been updated to include a 3D thermodynamic model that simulates the heat transfer between the asphalt, contact patch, tread, pressurized air, and rim. No longer static, the entire carcass and tread around the circumference of the tyre is affected by contact pressure and sliding friction which results in localized hotspots and the new ability to overheat the tyre if driving and sliding too hard. Future updates will include different rim materials that allow for better dissipation of heat and more stable changes in pressure.
  • A visualization of the 3D tread has been added to the HUD. Note: Existing setups will need to be updated to extract the maximum performance from the new model.
FFB
  • The calculation of forces being applied to the steering column has been improved resulting in a much more refined signal and smoother driving experience.
GKCV Reverse
  • The reverse layout of GKCV has been added which presents a different challenge with the blind uphill entry to turn 1.
Fixes/Improvements
  • Setup parameters now show their respective units. i.e PSI, Degrees etc
  • HUD elements are now zoomable and moveable using mouse wheel
  • Fixed crash when changing gear ratios on the KZ2 class of karts
  • Kerb response has been improved with a reduced likelihood of flipping

Original Source; Kartkraft Discord.

KartKraft is available now on PC.

Want to know how to get the best of the simulation? Then fire up a new thread in the Other Racing Games sub forum now!

KartKraft Footer.jpg

Last edited:
RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief, occasional YouTuber, commentator and broadcaster, with a passion for motorsport on both the real and virtual racetrack.

Nick Hill

1000RPM
Premium
Oct 26, 2013
It's an interesting sim, I've yet to try it though. It's got some interesting features like being able to swap individual parts on your cart. I've always dreamt of a sim that's a cross between a traditional sim and something like Wrench.

Cote Dazur

SIM Addict
May 21, 2013
I have had that game for 2 years now and I have very little time in it, less than 10 hours, which for me is nothing.
It is ambitious, but, to me, does not deliver fun.
It is on special right now for very little money, I cannot really explain why I have so little interest in driving it, so I would still recommend to try it, for that little investment, it might be the Kart game you have been waiting for.

Reactions: LMP Basher

BigMike8

SimRacing 604
Premium
Feb 18, 2017
to me, does not deliver fun
I'm having the same problem. Every feature of this title seems like it would be perfect for me, but I can't find the enjoyment in it the way I do with something like AC or ACC.

NR The-Boss

10RPM
Jun 4, 2018
This sim is, like many have said, odd to me. The AI seem too slow for my pace, and the fact that there's no qualifying really makes it feel significantly less like an actual race weekend since you have to start from the back every time.

I considered doing one of my Kart series on my channel, but the sim was just not ready for that.

Pepper606

250RPM
Mar 22, 2017
The game seems to me to be in permanent beta testing. That's the impression I have, so I'm waiting, not playing.
Very few tracks and is it 3 or 4 karts now? Minimal content is a fair assessment?

Ulfhedinn

100RPM
Premium
Nov 26, 2019
Get it !!!! This game is fantastic !!! Development is uber slow but it's the best kart sim out !!!! Forget the karts in every other sims they feel terrible

I don't know if the game looks like those screenshots? But the lightning in those is really well done!
Yes it's in game

Reactions: poir.qc

tlsmikey

500RPM
Feb 24, 2016
Fired this up again. Happy to report triple screens are working and the new FFB is much better than what it was previously. I did notice that the calibration in my SC2 for some reason needed to be set to 1800 degrees instead of 900, so something is doubled there for some odd reason. Otherwise, it's a ton of fun and driving much better now.

Tr0nic

50RPM
Premium
Nov 25, 2018
New kart and new tyre model, sounds great! I have to play it later...
The tyre model has been updated to include a 3D thermodynamic model that simulates the heat transfer between the asphalt, contact patch, tread, pressurized air, and rim. No longer static, the entire carcass and tread around the circumference of the tyre is affected by contact pressure and sliding friction which results in localized hotspots and the new ability to overheat the tyre if driving and sliding too hard. Future updates will include different rim materials that allow for better dissipation of heat and more stable changes in pressure.
^ Crazy to me! Seems they are very ambitious with what they want to achieve... :thumbsup:

Aug 2, 2020
Wow. The game previously was pretty good, but with this update it really came alive. I think it's the best karting sim out there in terms of physics and FFB. Every kart is a blast, and the FFB is absolutely spot on (at least on a humble G920), it really feels like a karting steering column. Only downside is the lack of a complete online mode, where KRP still shines.

LogiForce

25RPM
Premium
May 27, 2019
Sounds like the heating model from Project CARS its STM tyre model. Which added a great dynamic to tyre management.
Andrew "AJ" Weber didn't join them or did he? Cause he left after Project CARS 2 had its last update.

Same with FFB. I almost feel like someone has been listening to what I was saying in regards to it when I discussed my pC2 FFB file and came to the same epiphany as I did.

I can't wait to try this out again.

Marc Collins

1000RPM
Aug 25, 2011
Update is a wonderful improvement. Despite many rough edges, this is well worth the half-price sale price if you want to experience racing karts in a well-modelled manner.

The FFB is generally excellent at letting you know what is happening at the rear of the kart--essential. It's less good at kerbs and major dips in the track surface. Has too much micro-surface feedback. FFB filtering seems to have very little (or far less than expected) impact across the full range from 0% to 100%.

The early-access feel of this means I haven't even tried anything with the AI yet. Just having fun practising at the reasonably modest selection of tracks (which are all great).

The game play idea of starting with a budget that you can use to buy non-generic karts and outfit them is OK.

Bottom-line, if you love karting and can put up with slow development, this is already a must-have title to own just for the visceral experience of what it is like to drive a real kart. It competes with AMS 2 for the best overall experience of that, but neither of these is 10/10...yet. I will enjoy the continuing development of each of them!

leobaruk1313

50RPM
Nov 11, 2014
If it was open to modding I think it could be more interesting FOR ME AT LEAST. I'd love to build some of my coutry kart tracks or another tracks around the world. This few avaliable tracks don't make me want to race more times on the sim.

Jugulador

250RPM
Jun 6, 2015
The game strongly need, at least, some power-ups. It's very daunting to play a game that have "Kart" in it's name and see it trying to be realistic lol

bondyboy

75RPM
Feb 1, 2014
How is the FFB now they've said there's improvements?

On my Acuforce it felt and sounded like a tiny hammer going all the time, can't be good for the wheel