KartKraft | New Track Headlines Latest Update

Black Delta have deployed a new update to their karting title, KartKraft.

The new build released for the kart racing simulation just before Christmas 2019, and with the usual list of minor and major fixes and tweaks comes something we've not seen much of lately - new content!

Ok, the new track (North Texas Karters circuit FYI), isn't one developed first party by Black Delta, but rather a community created project commissioned and led by community member ‘Hooves’. Utilising drone photogrammetry, the track looks to be a nice and flowing venue - adding some much needed variety to the improving simulation.

Alongside the new content release, Black Delta have also deployed a new build of the sim, upgrading the game to build version 0.1.0.2034. You can check out the details of whats changed below:

• Added community developed North Texas Karters circuit developed by 'Hooves'
  • Increased accuracy of sector times in Time Trial leaderboards. Now using same rounding method in HUD and Leaderboard displays
  • Fixed the issue where upshift would sometimes fail depending on setup or chosen event

KartKraft is available on Steam now.

For the latest and greatest regarding this excellent sim, check out the RaceDepartment KartKraft sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Last edited:
RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief, occasional YouTuber, commentator and broadcaster, with a passion for motorsport on both the real and virtual racetrack.

Dave Thayer

100RPM
Premium
Mar 31, 2018
This game is nice and I have the game, but the "number"(quantity) of tracks they provide is terrible and seems to be dragging their feet to get new content out. To be a dedicated Kart racing game and only have 4 to 5 tracks to race on is ridiculous. I hardly do this game cause I have more fun and have many karting tracks in Assetto Corsa and Rfactor 2 and they are not even karting games. Plus I am modifying several Drifting type tracks in Assetto Corsa to also do Karting on them.

Reactions: atomed

Dobermann92

250RPM
May 16, 2018
This game is nice and I have the game, but the "number"(quantity) of tracks they provide is terrible and seems to be dragging their feet to get new content out. To be a dedicated Kart racing game and only have 4 to 5 tracks to race on is ridiculous. I hardly do this game cause I have more fun and have many karting tracks in Assetto Corsa and Rfactor 2 and they are not even karting games. Plus I am modifying several Drifting type tracks in Assetto Corsa to also do Karting on them.
I love Automobilista karting, that has a lot of great track by default.

Dave Thayer

100RPM
Premium
Mar 31, 2018
I forgot about that game having Karting Dobermann92. Yes, I do have that game also and is a great game. We will have to see what the new AMS2 game provides us in Karting when it releases in 2020. take care.

Reactions: ohyeah2389

hotak

100RPM
Sep 17, 2008
May I ask on wich CPU you have VR problems?
Not using KartKraft since KZ2 karts came out, but it used to run fine on my 980Ti in VR using a ryzen 2600X

schlitty

100RPM
Mar 2, 2016
Same here, on an RTX 2080ti. I've been burnt twice with the Unreal Engine on games supposedly supporting VR. Never again will I buy a game based on the UE that says it supports VR.
Yeah. ACC man... I bought that as my "flagship" game to leap into VR with. Seemed as if never once through all of development did game engine optimization happen. I get that Unreal Engine is so developed and pretty "out of the gate" and that's why it gets chosen. But it's a shame when the thread on here breaking down all the config file lines to edit is the only semblance of optimization, attention, or care for the VR implementation. Granted it certainly is playable, don't get me wrong there. But it should run a lot better. A LOT. Once I read KartKraft was the same story I didn't even bother trying it with the headset and just toyed around flat. But if I'm racing flat I may as well play my favorite; AMS. Which as @Dobermann92 mentioned; has great karts and plenty of tracks.

ApexVGear

75RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Awesome to hear that they're considering community created tracks. Time for me to 3D model the really nice karting facility near me, set it up in Unreal Studio, and send it to them for consideration. I think it would be an excellent candidate for their sim. The last time I tried KartKraft, it ran great on my Oculus Rift with my i7 and 1080ti system. It could be optimized a little more, but overall, it ran quite well. ACC runs well in VR on my system, with the graphics at or near maximum.

Last edited:

ApexVGear

75RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Correct me if I'm wrong, any game that supports VR and uses Unreal Engine has this problem (?)
If you're obsessed with maintaining 90FPS in VR, that really requires you to compromise and lower graphics settings, and/or use a very recent CPU and graphics card with all the bells and whistles. If you're using a newer, higher res VR headset, that demands more of your PC, so it will likely drop below 90FPS. I really do like all my sims to run at 90FPS at all times, but often, some sims, or particular cars and tracks (like in AC) may cause a drop. Now I know when it drops to 30FPS, and that can be nauseating, but at 45FPS where it alternates from left eye to right, and uses it's "Spacewarp" or "Brainwarp" (or whatever it's called on your headset) interpolation, the experience is acceptable. You do notice some "stuttering" in the peripheral view (like seeing a fence go by in the corner of your eye), but in general, I find it's still a good experience. Of course 90 FPS is much better, but 45 FPS, with the interpolation, is fine if you want to set the graphics at a higher quality level for a demanding, system-taxing simulator.

I work with Unreal Engine, they update it often, and it's improving all the time. I have used VR to "walk through" a house and other 3D modeling projects I've worked on that were imported into Unreal. Overall, it's impressive, and even early-developed, un-optimized projects run smoothly, but it could still use some improvement. Collision detection--that's another story, as it can be flaky sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stig_F1 and atomed

tlsmikey

500RPM
Feb 24, 2016
I love this game and now that ACC has triple support working, i'm hopeful KartKraft will at some point in the future as well. Right now, the pace of development just seems slow. I'm ready for a 0.8 release or something thereabouts to get this thing close to final release.

InsaneOzzie

2000RPM
Premium
Feb 2, 2010
I have both KartKraft & ACC. I run a i7-6700k, 1080ti on a Gigabyte Z170 board with Rift and other than a slightly blurred affect from not being able to wear my glasses under the headset, Ive had zero problems.

Admittingly I haven't turned a wheel in KK for a while, but it's an awesome Kart sim. As far as the lack of tracks is concerned I seem to remember AC didn't release with many tracks, and even now the Kunos tracks are limited.

Opening the sim up to community made tracks, is a major step in establishing an active long term following IMO, it will be interesting to watch this sims direction in the future, as there's a very limited range of karts to license or mod, if kart mods are permitted in the future.

Reactions: dreamer al

VFX Pro

50RPM
Apr 8, 2017
I look forward for this game to support shared memory telemetry so motion rigs can work with it... The graphics and sounds are top notch... but I run a RTX 2080 Ti.

Reactions: InsaneOzzie