KartKraft | Motorsport Games Acquire Black Delta And KartKraft Sim

Slapped

250RPM
Premium
Oct 2, 2019
LOL, how bloody ironic - just a day or so ago I was having quick chat with @Bram Hengeveld about indie titles, and the thing that kicked it all off was the recent news/thread on KartKraft, which now all of sudden is technically no longer an indie title.

At least we can hope that the acquisition enables the developers of KartKraft to move forward while still keeping the passion they've obviously poured into the project.

blot

100RPM
Premium
Mar 21, 2013
I've got KartKraft, I've only put a few hours into it a long time ago! Interested to see how this latest news pans out.

JohannesK

100RPM
Premium
May 17, 2019
Both yes and, naaah.
Motosport Games holds a majority share in 704Games after buying more than 50% of the shares in the company in 2018. They also put the former Motorsport Network CEO in as president for 704Games.
So, I mean. They could've changed the direction of the series, but they haven't.
Yeah but a NASCAR game will earn a lot more money if it is an arcade game. Kart racing is is propably better off as a sim considering its mostly enthusiasts who are into karting.

VirtuaIceMan

250RPM
Feb 4, 2017
I have a feeling Motorsport Games is angling to become the next Codemasters. Especially with ex-Codies Stephan Hood at the helm. They've started by doing deals with other devs to get going (e.g. rFactor 2) but now sound like they're into acquisitions.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with BTCC, subcontract or create a new dev team.

One to watch, now that Codemasters/Slightly Mad are now all part of EA.

Demichkd

25RPM
Jun 25, 2019
Tried it 6mo ago, didn’t connect with it, refunded, and thought I might come back to it down the road. With Motorsports Games now involved doubt I will. Too high a focus on esports and DLC transactions for me. AMS2 karts are fine when I feel like it.

Last edited:

Cheesenium

500RPM
Jul 15, 2011
I have a feeling Motorsport Games is angling to become the next Codemasters. Especially with ex-Codies Stephan Hood at the helm. They've started by doing deals with other devs to get going (e.g. rFactor 2) but now sound like they're into acquisitions.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with BTCC, subcontract or create a new dev team.

One to watch, now that Codemasters/Slightly Mad are now all part of EA.
It would be good if they can be the next Codemasters but if they keep putting out crappy games like NASCAR. What is the point then?

Now they have BTCC and Le Mans license, which is even more disappointing for me. Especially if they also have the F1 or WRC style of licensing which mean that iRacing or rF2 could not get these cars anymore.

I hate all these acquisitions because these large corporations only think about profits and esports. Not actually making great games.

And also, this also means that an unlicensed racing game like Dirt Rally, AC or Pcars will be even rare now as everyone in locked into a series with a handful of cars and tracks.

As much as I want to drive BTCC in a game but I think having an official BTCC game with 7 or so tracks would be pretty boring.

VirtuaIceMan

250RPM
Feb 4, 2017
It would be good if they can be the next Codemasters but if they keep putting out crappy games like NASCAR. What is the point then?

Now they have BTCC and Le Mans license, which is even more disappointing for me. Especially if they also have the F1 or WRC style of licensing which mean that iRacing or rF2 could not get these cars anymore.

I hate all these acquisitions because these large corporations only think about profits and esports. Not actually making great games.

And also, this also means that an unlicensed racing game like Dirt Rally, AC or Pcars will be even rare now as everyone in locked into a series with a handful of cars and tracks.

As much as I want to drive BTCC in a game but I think having an official BTCC game with 7 or so tracks would be pretty boring.
I suspect V-Rally might continue, when Kylotonn lose WRC

ivanalesi

50RPM
Feb 15, 2013
Considering that both pure karting titles are more or less solo teams, that's some great news! I'm more of a Kart Racing Pro fan, but I guess if they put funds into KartKraft, the physics engine will improve a lot.

roadyroad

250RPM
Dec 7, 2013
From what it written, the most important piece of news is the acquisition of the team and its expertise, in the unreal engine and physics, not kartkraft, which makes a lot of sense, as a kart game IP isn't worth a buy for a company.

So it seems that motorsport games wants to move towards the simulation genre, which could lead to really good future games. I'm ok with smaller games focusing on one competition. I think it is the right way. F1 Challenge, GP4, GTR2 were the examples which have shown that. Rfactor, rfactor 2, AC, pcars2, raceroom can't reach the quality and/or the features of these games. ACC just shows again how a sim can be complete when focusing on one competition. AMS2 is in development and far from perfect.
The story of sim racing just has shown that a complete game with a smaller scope is better than a neverending beta game with tons of categories.

Reactions: Michele Esposito

Jason Chamberlain

Mobile Chicane
Premium
Apr 26, 2020
And the decline of racing begins when these small passionate developers are being acquired by large greedy corporations. Soon, these greedy corporations will make iRacing look cheap in comparison.
Actually, games improve when there is capital behind the effort. When an acquiring company is wise, it just funds the brand it bought and then enjoys some of the profits. I don't know what evidence you have that the prices will go up. The prices will go up if the market can bear it. iRacing is established as a brand and, like it or not, people pay for it. If people didn't see the value in it then they wouldn't pay for it.

I'm happy for the Black Delta guys. Most small businesses dream of the day when they can be acquired. It's probably safe to assume that they bought Kartkraft because they like the IP and they think it will be a viable project.

roadyroad

250RPM
Dec 7, 2013
Actually, games improve when there is capital behind the effort. When an acquiring company is wise, it just funds the brand it bought and then enjoys some of the profits. I don't know what evidence you have that the prices will go up. The prices will go up if the market can bear it. iRacing is established as a brand and, like it or not, people pay for it. If people didn't see the value in it then they wouldn't pay for it.

I'm happy for the Black Delta guys. Most small businesses dream of the day when they can be acquired. It's probably safe to assume that they bought Kartkraft because they like the IP and they think it will be a viable project.
I think they bought the team, not kartkraft. I assume they will expect a fast development for kartkraft, to end the project once for all, to put the team on more profitable games. Well, if faster development means putting more money in the project, it's food. If it means going faster with a few ressources more, it's bad for kartkraft. It is still far from being a complete project. AI and proper mods support have still a long way to go.