Do you prefer the original or new FFB

• Total voters

KartKraft | Improved Force Feedback And Other Fixes

Black Delta have released a new update for their KartKraft simulation - promising a substantially revised and improved ffb experience within the game.

Yes, already well regarded in sim racing karting circles, the force feedback within KartKraft has been improved yet further - adding what the studio expect to be a considerably different driving experience within the simulation. The question is, do you like it more that the original (let us know in the poll within this article!).

Other changes for the new build include multiple updates and fixes within the simulation, including a potential resolution to the frustrating stutter issues some users have been experiencing.

You can check out the full update notes below.

Update Notes

Force Feedback Update:

• The FFB algorithm now uses a force-based calculation, rather than impulse-based. This significantly increases detail and feedback through the steering system. FFB settings may need to be adjusted and can be increased relative to their previous settings. Without overhyping it, this completely changes the feel of the game. We look forward to hearing your feedback.
Fixes:
  • Increased longitudinal tyre skid volume
  • DirectInput no longer reacquires FFB devices when a system device change flag is set. Possible fix for periodic stutters when driving
  • Increased front tyre grip on MG Yellow
  • Fixed bug where the driver would be standing in the vehicle for a frame upon being connected to the kart
  • Fixed bug where vehicle radar would detect opponents above or below you. e.g. PFI bridge.
  • Fixed incorrect map loading in NTK KZ2 Minimal Time Trial
  • Network stats can now be made visible on the HUD via Settings->Game->Hud->Show Network Stats
  • Fixed bug where sessions wouldn’t refresh properly if screen remained open for hours
  • Added a “wrong way, turn around” notification when the driver is driving backward around track
  • Added pit indicator to HUD placings
  • Ping now draws on the left side of placings in HUD
  • Fixed crash when restarting race
  • HUD adjusted to avoid overlapping elements with large numbers of racers
  • Disconnected players draw ping as “–” instead of “0”
  • Enabled onboard cameras in spectator mode
  • Fixed driver being detached from kart sometimes upon spawning into map
  • Fixed unresponsive register button in the scheduled session list
  • Added delta to live placings HUD widget in Online Practice

KartKraft is available now exclusively on PC via the Steam Store

Want to learn the tips and tricks to getting the most from this simulation? FIre your questions to the community in the KartKraft sub forum here at RaceDepartment!

KartKraft Update.jpg

Last edited:
RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief, occasional YouTuber, commentator and broadcaster, with a passion for motorsport on both the real and virtual racetrack.

GuitarTech

500RPM
Premium
Sep 25, 2011
I'd love to try it out and see what has changed.....if I could get it to start on steam :(
Non of the games that run on UE seem to work for me. Back to good old rF2, that works every time :)

Reactions: Dady Cairo

Shovas

1000RPM
Premium
Apr 18, 2014
What is "pulsed-based" ffb? Honestly interested. Didn't know there were other ways to do it other than translating steering forces.

Also, will definitely load this up again. The FFB was decent enough before, can't wait to see what they've done.

Reactions: Bob Gnarley

Bob Gnarley

100RPM
Feb 4, 2017
I don't know enough about FFB to comment other than feels good, perhaps a little less noisy but comes with a performance hit.

MarkR

500RPM
Premium
Feb 8, 2017
I like the FFB update, I find it much easier to repeat consistent laps. Previously I struggled to hold high-speed slides on the edge of grip, something I find easy and intuitive in the real kart, now the wheel feels more natural during slides and I can tell what is going on. Similarly, the hard braking / low-speed spins that were difficult to catch are now much more like the real thing - these half spins still cost a ton of time but at least it's now possible to catch them. I was immediately able to shave off a good bit of time from my lap times with the extra braking consistency and mid-corner wheel feedback and this was on the flat screen as my eyes are too tired for anymore VR today so I suspect I might be able to find a few more 10ths in VR.

A note for DD2 users - when I first loaded up the latest game the in-game FFB setting had reverted to 100% and even with 35% set on the wheel it was dangerously heavy so it's worth turning the in-game FFB setting down and working up to the right weight.

I agree with @Bob Gnarley, there is too much noise in terms of vibration and track feedback through the wheel - I can still feel the vibration in my hands now.

Brice.S.

250RPM
Sep 12, 2014
I'd love to try it out and see what has changed.....if I could get it to start on steam :(
Non of the games that run on UE seem to work for me. Back to good old rF2, that works every time :)
I had the same (when it was still on closed beta), did you tried to checkered the "run in with your windows compatibility" ? this happened to me cause I was under win7 maybe it's your case too... let us know ;)
@++

Makis Stam

1RPM
Sep 15, 2019
FFB in this game was one of the best on sim market. New force feedback is less strong [ 100 in previous and 150 now] for same resistance but for me is more realistic and informative now. Good update from KartKraft

Reactions: Matiracer

GuitarTech

500RPM
Premium
Sep 25, 2011
I had the same (when it was still on closed beta), did you tried to checkered the "run in with your windows compatibility" ? this happened to me cause I was under win7 maybe it's your case too... let us know ;)
@++
I‘m running Win 10 64bit, and everything else I have on Steam is running fine. The problems only started after the latest update. I've de-installed it, and am re-installing it at the moment to see whether a vanilla install makes any difference. Hardware is an GTX 1080 with an i7 9700K and 32Gb ram, all on a Gigabyte MB. Tomorrow I'll know more

goffred

100RPM
Premium
Oct 1, 2015
New FFB, I can feel the rubber more.

Turn 1 on PFI classic track is some good fun.

Reactions: MarkR

wrococa

100RPM
Jun 19, 2009
one of the most immersive games. so simple but feels great and as close to karting as I get

sonicviz

100RPM
Jun 21, 2019
I bought this just now as I've been thinking of it for a while, but it's the first game I've ever had in Steam (181 games) that shows Fatal Error on launch, and I have plenty of UE games including ACC etc. Must be some third party code they've included which is a bit flaky.

Immediate Refund. I guess I'll just use the AMS2 karts!

Norick46

75RPM
Dec 22, 2010
Hello everyone my question is as follows, on the KZ2 model has a gearbox when we change the ratios and as in reality it is necessary to relieve at the level of the accelerator because otherwise the gear change is not done. before the last update there was the possibility to put this function in automatic. Be careful not to confuse this with automatic shifting. Anyone have an answer !. Thank you very much the pilots.

Terry Rock

2000RPM
Oct 24, 2009
Almost every karting title I have ever tried, felt like the front kingpins did not have an inclination angle.
The steering would always feel like there was no weight or center reference.
Turn the wheel a little and the rear-end swung violently one way, then the other.
Does this title have a tendency to do that as well?

Matiracer

25RPM
Nov 10, 2015
Almost every karting title I have ever tried, felt like the front kingpins did not have an inclination angle.
The steering would always feel like there was no weight or center reference.
Turn the wheel a little and the rear-end swung violently one way, then the other.
Does this title have a tendency to do that as well?
For me, it's one of the few sims that makes it possible to drive the kart like the real thing (haven't tried KRP). I mean, you can use life-like inputs to drive and it won't do strange things. FFB feels fantastic, heavy but responsive. Only letdown is the fact that you can actually turn and brake waaay faster than RL, like if the kart had super grippy tyres and excesively effective brakes. But the feeling and the ffb is already there.
PD: Maybe that "excesively fast" feeling comes from racing in RL with hard rubber, never tried the bridgestone or yellow MG on a real grippy track lol

Terry Rock

2000RPM
Oct 24, 2009
Good to hear it is at least authentic in some facets.
I started with 125 cc shifters but every game I have tried to date seems to disappoint.

erniedaoage

10RPM
Nov 18, 2011

Try to navigate to x:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\Kartkraft(or however the folder is called i don't own the game)\Engine\Extras\Redist\en-us\ and install UE4PrereqSetup_x64 manually. Steam sometimes does not install all required files from the redist directory. This fixed it at least for me for UE based games. Hope it helps.

Edit: Should be a similiar directory for other UE based games on steam. And you need to install it once, after that you should be fine for all other UE games.

Reactions: Brice.S.

Papifix

50RPM
Premium
Nov 4, 2016
The steering is much more realistic now. That was a big improvement for me.
Now I can drive more consistent lap times.

Reactions: MarkR

Jack Vos

100RPM
Premium
Oct 23, 2009
I‘m running Win 10 64bit, and everything else I have on Steam is running fine. The problems only started after the latest update. I've de-installed it, and am re-installing it at the moment to see whether a vanilla install makes any difference. Hardware is an GTX 1080 with an i7 9700K and 32Gb ram, all on a Gigabyte MB. Tomorrow I'll know more
Can you also check and delete what is asked on the KK discord channel when having troubles starting KK
otherwise come on the discord channel for help)

pressing win key + r and enter %localappdata% - find the projectk folder and delete it

mrswadge

1RPM
May 2, 2020
FFB in this game was one of the best on sim market. New force feedback is less strong [ 100 in previous and 150 now] for same resistance but for me is more realistic and informative now. Good update from KartKraft
I'm new to the game and turned up to 150 also. I found the default quite weak on my G920.