Just tried AC in VR

And OH MY GOD!

You will use VR. Better start saving now. What it brings to sim racing will change it forever. I used it for 3 hours last night with an XBox controller, and I will never go back to 2D. Never. I understand the complaints about resolution, but I found it an acceptable trade off for everything else you get with VR. Moreover, after all the complaints about the resolution, I expected so much worse! It actually exceeded my expectations after all the negativity regarding resolution! I haven't even tweaked anything yet, no super-sampling! I'll use this Rift CV1 until the next version comes along. I'm all in.

VR is real, folks. This is not a gimmick. This is the future. Better start saving now, because you're going to be at a huge disadvantage racing against those who use it. But that's not the best part. THE IMMERSION! I can't describe it. Nobody can. You have to see it. VR was meant for sim racing! Oh, the beautiful cars! I love looking at those cockpits! It's so fantastic to see the old cockpits of the historic cars and compare them to the new ones. It's not like looking at a picture. You won't understand until you try it.

I decided on a whim to schedule an Oculus demo at Best Buy. I went. I saw. I believe! I bought it as soon as I could! I'm freaking giddy! I've already removed a monitor from my clunky triple screen setup. It's gone for good. I haven't been simming for about 3 years, as all of my expensive equipment kept breaking, but now I've ordered some new Fanatec equipment, and I'm back!

You owe it to yourself to try the Rift demo at Best Buy. Good luck.

Wait... Best Buy does Rift demos?

And here I've been hoping like hell that when I can finally afford to pick one up I won't be disappointed/naseous. I will be checking that out, hopefully it's not just some locations/US only.

Wait... Best Buy does Rift demos?

And here I've been hoping like hell that when I can finally afford to pick one up I won't be disappointed/naseous. I will be checking that out, hopefully it's not just some locations/US only.
Unfortunately, it seems they only do it at certain locations. Go to oculus.com and use their tool to search your zip code.

Buying a Rift (CV1) certainly is a game changer, in the first few months of use I could happily switch between Head Set & Flat Screen but recently that became harder to the point I simply don't enjoy Flat Screen any more.
The immersion you get from a head set at times is simply breathtaking, even with todays low res & pixelated eye displays. It's hard to describe but the feeling of going through Eau Rouge flat out in an HMD with the G-Forces at play is simply fantastic, something I have never ever experienced on a single flat screen.

AC is also extremely good in VR, the picture is very decent and the frame rate is exceptional on my mid range PC. R3E is also very good, RF2 adding support very soon and iRacing gives us a good choice of current Sims to enjoy in VR.

It's a good time to be a Sim Junky!

Just tried Laguna Seca and Bathurst in iRacing last night. Whoa! Those elevation changes are amazing! I see so much more in VR. At Laguna Seca, it never occurred to me that the pit lane was on the precipice of a cliff! Very cool looking. And Bathurst! Hugging those walls is so intense! And the beautiful, towering trees!

Hello.
What about any hardware switchboards, dashboards and wheels? I want to try them now, don't like any keyboard things. But VR comes to life. How one can feel and switch them if he's "blind" for real life outside helmet?

I love my AC with the Rift. however, I can't show any menus, only the actual race or practice without going to the flat screen. In other sims I can change track, cars, etc with the headset on. Not in AC.. Is it me? Am I doing something wrong?

No, you are not doing something wrong, it is simply not implemented yet in AC. That's why 'early support' is shown when you select the Rift as display device in AC.
You could use Virtual Desktop as a workaround, or BigScreen. I prefer Virtual Desktop because it doesn't hog the CPU while racing.
Tip: do not minimize Virtual Desktop or you may get a black screen when returning to the menu of AC. If you do get a black screen, just press the Oculus (O) button on the Rift's remote twice.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%