Just got rFactor - what a letdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um what it says really, ive bought a legit copy, but even so its just so unstable, it crashes a lot (im running xp 32bit and ive updated all my drivers, and rolled back to no avail) and it suffers from one major problem, after (i think) a certain amount of time all the textures just reduce in quality and i have to quit and restart the game to get them normal again, until they suddenly reduce again. Here's a copy of the reduced quality textures, the proper ones should look much better. Any ideas on how to fix this? the shader setting is set to DX9.

Attachments

• GRAB_000.jpg
    GRAB_000.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 370
  • Matt Crouch

just a guess -could be to do with the feature that automatically adjusts your graphics based on your framerate (I believe rfactor has that option) - getting confused by something maybe?

sounds like you have it fixed anyway...

The 6600GT is your weakest link in that system. Earlier this year, I had given my better half my Xmas 2005 system (Opteron dual core 165; 7800GT; 2GB DDR), so I was using my summer 2003 system (Barton 2800+; 6600GT; 1GB DDR) while sorting out my new quad core setup...

To run Rfactor at a decent framerate, I was having to run a medium/high mix of settings, with a tendency towards lower settings on the player/opponent detail. I also had to reduce the number of visible opponents to less than 10. Some mods were unplayable, such as the rich car detail of the PCC2007 and GTO 288 mods, even when reducing settings to minimum. Due to my aim of keeping the framerate above 50, I ended up running in DX7 mode.

A graphics card upgrade would revive your system for rfactor 1, a replacement for £100+ (8800GT or newer in Nvidia range; 3850 (?) or newer in ATI offerings) would almost certainly allow maximum graphics detail at good framerates. This is presuming that your motherboard uses a PCI-E graphics slot, the sucessor to AGP. If correct, you could always transplant this new PCI-E grahics card to a newer unit, when you felt the need to upgrade.

I can run on medium / high on DX8 on my 2nd back up rig with a 6200 256mb AGP, Athlon 64 3200+. It's not that demending really, lower cards can run the game fine with low-medium ish settings with reasonable grids.

6600GT is fine really, but a new GPU would help allot or though even a 8800GT is overkill for the game as I get over 100fps all the time with any amount of cars everthing maxed out on track with my old 8800GTS 320mb(usually 150-300fps) :) 8800GT or something of the sort is a very nice card though and a very worthy upgrade for other games but you are running AGP so your limited to maxium a 3850 AGP :)

even so, for overall quality throughout the game yes, but i still dont think that could cause the game to randomly reduce the texture quality INGAME, over time. AutoFPS is switched off. and it still does it, even with the nvidia settings set to per-application or forced.

its now started CTD-ing on me whenever i click race as soon as ive loaded the track, and i havnt changed anything. AAARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!! im giving up. i'll re-sell it on ebay. every installation ive tried (CD, Download Demo, lite) always goes wrong. i'll wait for rFactor 2.

I used to run rFactor fine on my old rig, which was an AMD 3200+ (not 64) and a 7600GT. Of course the settings would be medium-ish, but the game looked and played fine - 30fps and up.

The biggest problem with any game in my experience is the "auto-sensing detail" feature. Every game I've had that has had the option has screwed up gameplay. I've always turned it off. Some games were slower with the auto-sensing just because they were swapping textures around in memory in an effort to increase framerates.. :silly:

It's much better to play with the settings and get them the lowest you can bare IMO. After the framerates are good, gradually up things one at a time and take some time testing it, to see what it looks like and how it plays.

Also be aware that lower-end cards might be OK with a daytime race, but switch it to night with all those lights and the framerates plummet.

its now started CTD-ing on me whenever i click race as soon as ive loaded the track, and i havnt changed anything. AAARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!! im giving up. i'll re-sell it on ebay. every installation ive tried (CD, Download Demo, lite) always goes wrong. i'll wait for rFactor 2.

If you're still thinking about giving it a last go, perhaps knock all the settings down to their lowest and see what happens..

Yeap, sorry, they go by a lot of different names. "Auto Detail FPS" in rFactor should be set to Off.

Knock everything down to as low as you can bare. When on the track, use Control+F to show your FPS. Try it practice and race conditions, the difference in framerates will be quite significant.

Gradually bring everything up - shadows settings play a big part in games sometimes, so that might be one you'll want to leave until after you've got the textures and models looking OK.

Although you have a 6600GT (and it might be something you could consider upgrading) rFactor should run OK, as long as you watch the graphics settings. In fact, I've found rFactor to run better than GTL & GTR (1).

That's odd that the textures are reducing in quality after turning the option off - it could possibly be driver related I guess. :thinking:

If it was still happening to me, I would probably back up my profile, uninstall the game completely (including removing any bits left behind, like folders or whatever), download the latest gfx drivers, uninstall the old ones and reboot the machine. When it was back up, I would reinstall the gfx drivers, reboot again, then reinstall rFactor.

If that didn't work, after adjusting the gfx settings, I'm not sure what else would work.. :thinking: Unless it is just down to the texture memory on the card..

it has always been OFF and direct X is set to DX9 and the resolution and colour depth are correct for my monitor. No other game does this, only rFactor.

I think i had a similar problem with my old PC - it would lag out, then the graphics quality would go down, then it you could continue playing it.

Give my .PLR a try and see if it still does it then.

Attachments

• Fusi0n.rar
    9.9 KB · Views: 157
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back