Just curious...

Seems to me like Racer is probably the most developed racing game in the open source world. I know it's technically a Simulation, but are there any plans (even third party) to make it more of a game? Something along the lines of at least a Grand Prix, some built in music, maybe go as far as taking some cop model cars and make the next Need for Speed? Just curious, really :p

Honestly?

Nope.

Online multiplayer gets updated every now and then, mostly to make it more user friendly (or at least less of a **** to set-up) but the vast majority of updates are for the rendering, with physics following in a close second. Gameplay itself is barely even a consideration.

"Seems to me like Racer is probably the most developed racing game in the open source world"

Well, Racer IS NOT OPEN SOURCE, it never was, and seems it never will be.
Racer is not a collaborative project, and is not really open.
The only one available source code (for windows) is not full, and is not compilable with modern developer environment.
And plus, is only for the 0.5.0 version (maybe ten years ago?).

So, I think consider Racer as an Open Source Project seems to me (sorry) quite optimistic.

Regards!

"Something along the lines of at least a Grand Prix, some built in music, maybe go as far as taking some cop model cars and make the next Need for Speed? Just curious, really :p"

If Racer someday follows the commercial unrealistic game route, I'm out of here... there are enough of that games already, no need for another one.

Ah, I suppose I skimmed over that section of the license. Really quite a shame that it's not open sourced, but I suppose he probably uses it in his simulation machines and therefore can't anymore. Thanks for your replies!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 86 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 69 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 42 6.2%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 93 13.7%