Just curious, what do you guys think about President Obama?

In some ways, he is better than Bush.

In many ways, he is worse than Bush because of the NDAA, Anti-Protest Trespass Bill, extension of Patriot Act with more instrusive provisions.

As a person, I think he is very likable and laid back.

As a President, he does not have any gonads to stand up to Republicans and the corporate-military-Evangelical industrial complex.

Presidents were never given too much power because when the country was being founded they didn't want another King or Dictator to arise. That's the reason for the stupid amendment dealing with states rights and the right to bear arms.

By the way while Bush did some questionable things I don't think he made a decision worse than Andrew Jackson who invited everyone in the U.S.A, yes everyone, for a big party. As you can imagine that didn't work out too well.

[...] you have to check behind the curtain.

lol, once again you're making something up to be a mystery when all you have to do is take a book and read about the political system (polity, politics and policy) of the United States. Start with the term presidentialism; what it means and what kind of presidential system can be found in the US. From there read something more profound about the political culture and continue to read in depth about politics of the US.

If you wish, I can send a bibliography your way.
For starters: Vile, Maurice: Politics in the USA, London, 2007. - Publisher description

On the topic Obama. Do the US citizens have a appropriate alternative? From a point of view of a European... well... :rolleyes:

You're just ignorant. You didn't even read the short description of the book. On what basis do you wish to discuss if you're not willing to get to know the basics.

It has nothing to do with believing. Believe is for the God-fearing people. Or for those who are scared because more or less erratic events shake their phil. conception of the world or episteme, daily routines included.

some troll, if you say so, others write garbage:)

Edited on behalf of the thread,

I assume you have read the reply but if you havent then send me a PM or ill just repeat myself here.
At least you know where i stand when it comes to you, straight up honest.

Now let the other people share their opinions on what they think of Obama.
It went well until you popped in saying you had read a book saying it is so.

Guys, I can understand that this is a heated topic. However, please try to be friendly - I've thought a lot about those reports and want to make sure you understand that everyone is entitled to have his / her opinion and that's no reason to mock somebody.

[...] At least you know where i stand when it comes to you, straight up honest. [...]

I'm not angry or sad about it. I'll get over it.

[...]
It went well until you popped in saying you had read a book saying it is so.

I did not say it is one way or another. It is not a about belief or creating a personal opinion! It is only one book I mentioned among many, which explains the political system of the US and is written following the academic standards of political science. Basically speaking it is supposed to be impartial. And it makes sense to build your first opinion upon such writings, which provide you the basics (terms, definitions, descriptions, analysis etc.). To create or have an opinion on a topic a priori is much easier, but much harder to undergird and defend with hard facts; there'll always be somebody questioning your opinion when it is gathered from personal experience and lose material. When you choose to work this way, you have to live with the critique and must always be ready and try hard to undermine the opposing argument in a objective way; hard facts. Emotions and spurious arguments won't get you anywhere. Generalization is a very easy example many fall for; may it be on the macro or micro level. For instance, somebody reads a single line written by person and takes it to describe the whole personality.

That's all.

As I said, I can send you more references on this topic your way.

My opinion about Obama? One of the better presidents the United States had during history. But my view may be biased because of the previous president and the huge difference that lies between both. However, I wouldn't put him into the same boat as Abraham Lincoln, Washington, Franklin Roosevelt or Dwight Eisenhower yet.:)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back