Just built an aluminium rig

Just built myself an aluminium rig.
Sourced all the gear local to me (Middlesbrough UK).
No real design as such, just copied off a few I had seen online.
Thought it would take a couple of hours, but how wrong was I, it took me all day to build.
Total cost £300.

cfe9ab50-3011-4b47-88cf-df9a4263f0eb-jpeg.1132088

0117f5db-a8ba-4dbb-b086-1a02c3455708-jpeg.1132089

Ran out of fixings, so still a few more things to do (are we ever finished?).
Hopefully it should be ok, for when I dabble into SFX-100 full motion.

Last edited:
I will do.
I left my receipt at the shop (saying shop, it was a warehouse/manufacturer), so when I get that I will send it via PM.

Just noticed you are from Norway.
It may be better looking for someone local to you.
I just searched Aluminium extrusion and found a local place.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I sold my Playseat for £150, so only cost me another £150.
Can’t believe how much better it feels and well worth the upgrade.
Takes a little dialling in and its not easy due to the weight, but when done it’s really good.
Now looking for what else I can do to it.

Upvote 0
Just built myself an aluminium rig.
Sourced all the gear local to me (Middlesbrough UK).
No real design as such, just copied off a few I had seen online.
Thought it would take a couple of hours, but how wrong was I, it took me all day to build.
Total cost £300.

cfe9ab50-3011-4b47-88cf-df9a4263f0eb-jpeg.1132088

0117f5db-a8ba-4dbb-b086-1a02c3455708-jpeg.1132089

Ran out of fixings, so still a few more things to do (are we ever finished?).
Hopefully it should be ok, for when I dabble into SFX-100 full motion.

Nicely done, a few things, first I assume that price is without the seat correct? Second I notice you are using a couple of angle joints to angle the wheel up, I have one of those for the keyboard tray on my rig and no matter how much you tighten the two bolts it’s still quite easy to rotate so I’m thinking even with two you may get some drift over time with the forces, maybe.

Third, where and who exactly did you source the profile from as I haven’t found any in the UK myself and would rather get bits from here than from Motedis in Germany if I can help it.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Nicely done, a few things, first I assume that price is without the seat correct? Second I notice you are using a couple of angle joints to angle the wheel up, I have one of those for the keyboard tray on my rig and no matter how much you tighten the two bolts it’s still quite easy to rotate so I’m thinking even with two you may get some drift over time with the forces, maybe.

Third, where and who exactly did you source the profile from as I haven’t found any in the UK myself and would rather get bits from here than from Motedis in Germany if I can help it.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

The price was without the seat (£90 unused 2nd hand off ebay).

Yeah I was worried about these joints as my wheel housing still moves up/down a little. I have now bought extra angle brackets (£3m each) with adjustable slots to fasten it the top of the frame which should make it rock solid. I haven't put them on yet as I ran out of frame inserts to screw them down with.
I will get it finished on Tuesday when I am on nights so will have chance to buy the bits I need (only about £10 more or so). I need a couple of end caps too.

I bought it from here http://www.valuframe.co.uk/
They are in the North East of the UK between Stockton and Durham.

Upvote 0

Thanks.

I used Motedis for all of my stuff with no issues. The delivery charges are a bit strong but as long as you get everything sorted in one order it's not too bad.

If you'd prefer to stay with a UK supplier, I can recommend KJN although for me personally they wouldn't have worked out any cheaper:
http://www.aluminium-profile.co.uk

Upvote 0
I used Motedis for all of my stuff with no issues. The delivery charges are a bit strong but as long as you get everything sorted in one order it's not too bad.

If you'd prefer to stay with a UK supplier, I can recommend KJN although for me personally they wouldn't have worked out any cheaper:
http://www.aluminium-profile.co.uk

Yeah, well the postage charge is a flat rate so if you are getting just a few small items £16.37 is nasty, plus the last delivery took 5 weeks.

Upvote 0
If you get flex on the wheel deck uprights you can look at adding what Simlab call 'sandwich' plates. They are mega strong and go on the outside of the upright holding it to the main frame. You will find in time which parts still need a bit of reinforcing. I have them on mine and they haven't ever felt like moving at all.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

The price was without the seat (£90 unused 2nd hand off ebay).

Yeah I was worried about these joints as my wheel housing still moves up/down a little. I have now bought extra angle brackets (£3m each) with adjustable slots to fasten it the top of the frame which should make it rock solid. I haven't put them on yet as I ran out of frame inserts to screw them down with.
I will get it finished on Tuesday when I am on nights so will have chance to buy the bits I need (only about £10 more or so). I need a couple of end caps too.

I bought it from here http://www.valuframe.co.uk/
They are in the North East of the UK between Stockton and Durham.

Thanks though how do you actually buy from that site, there’s no shop?

As for your wheel support, I think if you rotate that 40x80 cross support piece so its horizontal but angled up as you want the wheel and hold that to the two up rights with corner brackets and then place two short 40x40 pieces on top to support and allow the wheel base to be adjusted forward and back, that would be far more solid and give you a little more knee room, but you may already know that.

Upvote 0
Thanks though how do you actually buy from that site, there’s no shop?

As for your wheel support, I think if you rotate that 40x80 cross support piece so its horizontal but angled up as you want the wheel and hold that to the two up rights with corner brackets and then place two short 40x40 pieces on top to support and allow the wheel base to be adjusted forward and back, that would be far more solid and give you a little more knee room, but you may already know that.
I'm sure you can just buy online, or even just give them a ring or email your requests over.
If you want the same as me (mine is 40x40 and 40x80 profile) then just mention to them about me as I only bought it a couple of days ago and they knew what it was for, so will easily be able to get the same stuff together.

I originally looked at their price list and thought that they were going to be more expensive than a ready to assemble one, but I was wrong.

I did consider mounting the wheel as you said, and may do at some point, but have managed to secure it quite well this way now. There is still plenty of leg room as its below your knee (i'm 6` tall).
The issue I may have is that the cross piece is the same width as the supports, so if I put it an angle I may have to put one bracket on the top and one on the bottom, which could look unsightly. I have not tried it yet, so may be wrong though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 319 27.9%