Just built an aluminium rig

Just built myself an aluminium rig.
Sourced all the gear local to me (Middlesbrough UK).
No real design as such, just copied off a few I had seen online.
Thought it would take a couple of hours, but how wrong was I, it took me all day to build.
Total cost £300.

cfe9ab50-3011-4b47-88cf-df9a4263f0eb-jpeg.1132088

0117f5db-a8ba-4dbb-b086-1a02c3455708-jpeg.1132089

Ran out of fixings, so still a few more things to do (are we ever finished?).
Hopefully it should be ok, for when I dabble into SFX-100 full motion.

Last edited:
Most likely the chassis. Mine creaks too sometimes, it's annoying af but I've tightened every bolt to the point of nearly breaking my hands. There's just some joints that you cannot avoid noise in. It's more when there is rapid shift in weight / direction.

Upvote 0
Most likely the chassis. Mine creaks too sometimes, it's annoying af but I've tightened every bolt to the point of nearly breaking my hands. There's just some joints that you cannot avoid noise in. It's more when there is rapid shift in weight / direction.

Agreed that over-tightening won't help anything. The key is to find the point of noise and add a separate strip of some kind like 1/16" rubber or something better. However if noise is coming from the friction point inside of the T-Nut against the profile material from the inside then the solution is to reinforce or distribute the load over a wider area. This could be a long process....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
FYI, use of 90-degree plates at key corners + triangulation with square 40mm profile can really help if you've got a bit of squeaking or movement. My home-build 8020 rig is solid, no squeaks at all, and the wheel deck is 100% rock solid here as well. Here's a few pics of what I'm talking about. It's an option if squeaking is an issue.

Upvote 0
I can hear creaking in the videos any idea where that's coming from?

Just remembered.
I am also using a butt kicker, so that will be making a sound.
Also the seat has springs in it which also make noise just sitting in it.
Not only that but the seat is mounted on rubber anti vibration mounts to make the butt kicker not affect the frame itself (only the seat).

Upvote 0
Oh my first next level seat had springs that were noisy and they drove me mad every time I jumped in.

The noises only happen for me when big jolts or twists happen. Solution: use ear buds.

Upvote 0
I only race using the Oculus Rift so I play with headphones in any case so don’t actually notice the noise at all.
The wife on the other hand does (and she is down stairs).

Upvote 0
Nice work. I am on the SFX100 build at the moment. I have a Fanatec CSL seat and Accuforce V1 and clubsport V2 pedals . I’d like to build an 8020 or 8040 frame, but mount my existing rig in it , until budgets allow addition of full seat and wheel and pedal mounts. Can you share your shopping list, so I can see if I can pare it back to initial essentials. Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
Just managed to save myself around £300 by getting some 40/40. Unfortunately they are smaller lengths, say 700mm so will need to find a good way of connecting these together and eliminate the creaking which I know will be coming as I will be butting lengths together, will make a good length of 80/40 by the end though. Anyone got any suggestions how to stop the inevitable noise?

Upvote 0
@SteveCac I just made an aluminium rig for my sons from cheap 4040. Only 1000mm lengths and they got cut down to shorter lengths.

I did use 2 lengths at 1000mm but the rest were 450, 370 and 640. So depending what you are trying to do I think you could get away with something built using sections only 700mm long.

Here is a pic of the one I did for them. If I had only 700mm lengths I would make a front section for the pedals as I have done. This can slide inside the outer profile to
IMG_1810.jpg

From the back of the profile under the seat to front most profile that stands for the wheel support is about 700mm So I could just get away with what I had done if those pieces were 700, not 1000 but it would restrict how far back the seat could go and might make getting in and out a little more awkward.

The other option I would probably do is make a different square to mount the seat on. Similar to the pedal section but just for the seat. The seat box and the pedal box would just be joined as in my picture by the two side lengths. Wont work for motion but should be find on the ground.

Upvote 0
@SteveCac So like this, one section in black is a square to mount the seat on to. The section in black on the left is to mount the pedals on to. They are joined by your 700mm lengths. I just join them using standard brackets mounted on the side as well as on the end of the 4040.

The wheel stand sits on top of the 700mm joiner section. Other picture shows how you can use standard angle brackets to join the outer section to the inner ones. you need to tap the end of the profile for this.

Screenshot_20191022_213443.png
IMG_1811.JPG

Upvote 0
Nice work. I am on the SFX100 build at the moment. I have a Fanatec CSL seat and Accuforce V1 and clubsport V2 pedals . I’d like to build an 8020 or 8040 frame, but mount my existing rig in it , until budgets allow addition of full seat and wheel and pedal mounts. Can you share your shopping list, so I can see if I can pare it back to initial essentials. Thanks in advance
Thanks.
I didn't really have a shopping list as such, I just looked at other rigs and measurements and ordered bits up I thought looked about right.
The frame was fairly cheap, it was the cost of the fittings that lifted the price up some what.

Upvote 0
Well, I decided to get an ultrawide so I can play games on my rig that don't support VR like Wreckfest etc.
Of coursed I had to make a stand, using my usual technique of guesswork (cost me £105).View attachment 330589

72856731_10156645925091524_3329087352231428096_n.jpg
Which Ultrawide did you go for?
I'm on a massive debate with myself, and the Mrs., as to whether or not to go for triple 27s or a 34 inch Ultrawide.
Just wish there was a definitive answer on this subject as I'm tearing what little hair I have left, out!

Upvote 0
@SteveCac So like this, one section in black is a square to mount the seat on to. The section in black on the left is to mount the pedals on to. They are joined by your 700mm lengths. I just join them using standard brackets mounted on the side as well as on the end of the 4040.

The wheel stand sits on top of the 700mm joiner section. Other picture shows how you can use standard angle brackets to join the outer section to the inner ones. you need to tap the end of the profile for this.

Good idea, hadn't thought of doing it like this. I was going to double layer it, staggered joints and make it 80/40.

Upvote 0
Which Ultrawide did you go for?
I'm on a massive debate with myself, and the Mrs., as to whether or not to go for triple 27s or a 34 inch Ultrawide.
Just wish there was a definitive answer on this subject as I'm tearing what little hair I have left, out!

I got the Samsung 43".
If your PC is a dedicated Sim Racing Rig then go triples.
If, like me, you use it for other things, where you need a monitor or 2 (I use them for photoshop plus other games) then go for the ultra wide.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back