Jury Issues $500 Million Verdict in Facebook VR Lawsuit

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Oculus Rift.jpg

A jury in Texas has ruled that Oculus Rift CEO Palmer Luckey failed to comply with a non-disclosure agreement with games company ZeniMax. Facebook Inc., its virtual reality unit Oculus and other defendants have been ordered to pay a combined $500 million to ZeniMax Media Inc.

The result of yesterday's verdict deemed Oculus CEO Palmer Luckey, failed to comply with a non-disclosure agreement with ZeniMax, and ordered the group to pay a mammoth half a billion dollars in compensation. Although a mouth watering amount of money in it's own right, Facebook have announced a 51% jump in its fourth-quarter revenue, leaving the group in an exceptionally healthy financial position as revenues have risen to $8.81bn and Facebook’s quarterly profit more than doubled to $3.57bn, from $1.56bn a year earlier. The ruling is not though to offer any substantial threat to the continual growth of both Oculus or any of the groups concerned with the legal action.

The case was tried in a district court in Texas and lasted for a total of three weeks. Of the $500m, Luckey will have to pay $50m in the lawsuit, while the former Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe has been ordered to pay $150m – both for false designation. The company must also pay $200m for non-disclosure agreement (NDA) violation, $50m for copyright infringement and $50m for false designation. The jury decided that Oculus didn’t steal trade secrets, as alleged by ZeniMax.

“The heart of this case was about whether Oculus stole ZeniMax’s trade secrets, and the jury found decisively in our favour,” an Oculus spokeswoman said in a statement.

“We’re obviously disappointed by a few other aspects of today’s verdict, but we are undeterred. Oculus products are built with Oculus technology. Our commitment to the long-term success of VR remains the same, and the entire team will continue the work they’ve done since day one – developing VR technology that will transform the way people interact and communicate. We look forward to filing our appeal and eventually putting this litigation behind us.”
The original lawsuit was issued in May 2014 when it was alleged that Oculus had made use of code from ZeniMax in order to create it's Oculus Rift Virtual Reality headset. Oculus plans to appeal the decision and said that the company was committed to the “long-term success of VR”.

As a lucky portion of sim racers are finding out, Virtual Reality is fast becoming an interesting piece of hardware for some users to bring the racing experience closer in immersion to it's real life counterpart. With support of various levels now implemented in racing games such as Assetto Corsa, Project CARS, DiRT Rally, RaceRoom Racing Experience and currently under development for both rFactor 2 and very shortly for Reiza Studio's Automobilista title, VR looks like it is very much here to stay in sim racing.

Last edited:
I don't really see the point why it made it to RD.

Read the last paragraph. Oculus is a major VR player and this could affect VR in the future which in turn impacts sim racing users. Since using VR I could never go back to a screen. I have had the DK1, DK2 and now have the CV1, it's a fantastic piece of technology that will only get better with time. I hope this issue Oculus is having with ZeniMax doesn't slow down or halt development of VR.

Upvote 0
You have now changed your post for the third or fourth time. This could affect your credibility. But what the hell, you're allways right.
End of the discussion of my side.

Wow, seriously? Are you for real?

I'm concerned that I might say something to you I regret after a comment like that, so I'll refrain and be the bigger man.

I suggest you cool off fella, totally unnecessary and also you are way wide of the mark on your comments.

Upvote 0
Indeed. No VR, no sim racing for me. Every bit as integral as a wheel and pedals. I draw the line at gloves though.

Interesting this. I bought Touch and have had lots of issues with it. This has tarnished my opinion of Oculus far more than any lawsuit.

But the flip side of this is the fantastic early implementation of VR in RaceRoom which has blown my mind a bit.

Upvote 0
Sad as this sounds I use gloves, and the weird thing is when I don't have them on it doesn't feel right! You'd be surprised how much of a different it makes.. plus it keeps the wheel in good condition and protects it from sweating etc...

Nope, just nope. That's sad Paul. You will be wearing a helmet next, maybe a Mansell rep. :(:thumbsdown::roflmao:

Upvote 0
I had Martin Brundle come and interview me before a race a few times just to increase the feeling of presence.

But then I signed an exclusivity deal with German TV and started refusing interviews. Eventually he got the message but I think he's still a bit bitter.

Upvote 0
Sad as this sounds I use gloves, and the weird thing is when I don't have them on it doesn't feel right! You'd be surprised how much of a different it makes.. plus it keeps the wheel in good condition and protects it from sweating etc...

I thought I would draw the line at gloves as well.....I would laugh at videos of people wearing gloves:roflmao:.

Then, when I started sim racing in earnest.... the blisters?!!! And that black rubber wearing off on your hands.

You would be surprised how heavy armored, leather motorcycle gloves (its all I had) can get after afew straight days of sim racing from the sweat.

Once I got used to them, I can't drive without them. :roflmao:

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back