July Development Roadmap Released for rFactor 2!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 July Dev Update 2.jpg

Studio 397 have revealed their latest 'development roadmap' detailing the future of the rFactor 2 simulation, as planned during the month of July.

With development pushing ahead at full steam, Studio397 have revealed what the future looks like for rFactor2 in the coming weeks and months..

Competition
As we previously announced, McLaren’s World’s Fastest Gamer starts soon, and we are really excited that rFactor 2 was chosen as the flagship qualifying platform. This competition aligns with the overall competition structure that we are currently building, allowing tournament style events that extend all the way to a license progression system. Our competition platform will be unique in many ways: we will have our own structured competition and, in addition, support the community. We actively believe in the strength of our community to run outstanding events, both online and onsite. Specifically, APIs will be made available to allow sanctioned leagues/competitions to integrate with our overall structure, providing visibility and consistency. We are also developing our license structure based on an overall percentage rating and a system that penalizes drivers for off-track or bad driving by giving time penalties instead of relying on an independent safety rating.

Content
We have some even more exciting news: it’s no secret that we are releasing a McLaren GT car. And now, we are pleased to announce that it will be….drum roll please… the awesome McLaren 650s GT3!

This McLaren will be used in the World’s Fastest Gamer competition and will be available for you all as a paid item in our upcoming item store at the start of August. We’re really excited to launch with this car, which was developed in close cooperation with McLaren. But that’s not all! This car will also be part of a soon-to-be-released wider pack, reaffirming our ambition to align our content! What a tease!

Many of you saw our rendition of Zandvoort at the Max Verstappen days. Since then, we have optimised and further enhanced the track. Like the McLaren above, Zandvoort will be used in the World’s Fastest Gamer competition and will be released as a free addition. Check out some screens below!

rFactor 2 July Dev Update.jpg

rFactor 2 July Dev Update 2.jpg
rFactor 2 July Dev Update 3.jpg
rFactor 2 July Dev Update 4.jpg

Additionally, we are working on some new significant track projects and will share more in the next couple of months.
DX11

Ever since the beginning of the year, we’ve showed you the evolution of our DX11 graphics engine. Right now, we’re close to the point where we are happy enough with the visuals and performance of this engine to soon switch it to become the default. We will keep the DX9 engine around as an option for a little while longer, at least until we’ve rolled out the new overlays (see below). This also does not mean we are done developing the engine. We still have many bigger and smaller improvements to make it look better, and we will keep pushing those out in the upcoming months. At this point, we would also like to thank everybody who actively participated in our open beta. Your input was very helpful and allowed us to improve the whole engine, and VR mode, a lot quicker and better.

UI
Not only are we putting the final touches on our in-game user interface, as you have read above, we are also about to roll out the first parts of the new competition infrastructure, which will fit right in with the new UI. To show you some of the last details we are currently working on, we’ve captured two details of the UI, starting with the calibration screen for your wheel and pedals. As you know, you could always calibrate axes visually, but when specifying the ranges of motion and the deadzones, you had to physically move your wheel or pedal in the right position to set such a limit. Now we’ve included not only the exact numbers, but you can also directly edit them to fine tune them exactly the way you want without having to mess around with text files.

rF2 UI Clutch.png

A second detail we’d like to show is what we’ve done with the garage setup screens. There was already a way to compare, and we made that a bit smarter, but we also added a quick way for you to see what changes you made to the current setup compared with the one you saved last. In the shot, you see two gear ratios that have an orange font. Those are ratios you’ve changed. That way you can quickly get an overview. It’s little things like this we are still tweaking. We know it’s taking a bit longer than you, and we, anticipated, but the wait is almost over!

rf2 Gears UI.png

Physics
One of the things we have been working on over the last few months is our tyre model. You may have noticed some changes in the latest version of the Radical, and you will also see them in the upcoming McLaren. These updates reflect our work on improving accurate tyre fidelity. We have a number of tyre updates underway, making one of the best tyre models in consumer racing simulation even better.

Overlays
We have been working hard to create a solution for overlays. As you know, we aren’t great fans of rendering over rFactor 2 screens as this can cause issues that become hard for us to resolve. We have built a solution using HTML. Shortly, we will be allowing 3rd parties to develop their own overlays, not just for broadcast, but for in-game HUDS through an API.

Misc
For those of you who don’t know, this year’s Sim Expo will be held on the 16/17th September at Nurburgring – another great chance for all of sim racing to come together. We will be there, of course, showcasing some cool future features and content, so make sure you pop by!

rFactor 2 can be purchased from the Steam platform right now and is available exclusively for PC.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

Happy with the new roadmap update? Looking forward to seeing the changes filter through to the sim? Let us know in the comments section below!

I5 4440,Asus GTX 660,8G ram DDR3,MSI B85 board,around 100fps whit all in max,DX11,1920x1200 single screen,around 70 whit 40 AI cars..............
For me is great,no need a 2.000€ pc to run rFactor2 or any other sim.............View attachment 202956
Nice stolen, ripped content from a competing developer, flaunting it around on here.
No wonder Studio 397 doesn't have to announce new content for rFactor 2, because it is littered with stolen content from other titles, I've even seen that car and some kunos tracks plastered all over their website, and they have done nothing to stop it from happening, it just shows they have nothing but pure disrespect for competing developers, like slightly mad studios, kunos and even Reiza.

I mighe be wrong, but that gtx 960 looks a bit wrong in that config...It's the most important part to gain fps and yet it's the one where apparently you decided to save money. I'd never buy 3 screens with a 960 for the simple reason that a game not well optimized or simply new is going to give you so much trouble.

actually i bought my pc to use with one monitor (and the 960 sufices).. an than i bought the other two because i knew it would hold
more ...
i knew that new graphics were on the way,... and oh boy was i right, a 1060gtx equals a 980gtx now.. (not the ti version, of course)

i'll know i'm right about this .. and the proof will come sooner or latter, when the dx11 version is ready... with the same pc i'll get a boost in fps...
a 960gtx holds triples pretty well in other games.. and it will hold in rf2 dx11 too when it's ready

No doubt about the fact that a well optimized game will give you more fps. Still a 960 with a triple screen is kinda wrong, in fact there are not many people complaining about this.
EDIT: You will also find out soon that almost no game is actually optimized.

AC on my Laptop is optimized.And Dx11 title too.
So i can't understand where the problem is... In developing?
Wrong configuration?wrong Windows Version,wrong driver?
Don't get me wrong i love this game but not at the moment.... Too much confusion.
And it's not always the user and the PC and the hardware that is cheap excuse.

AC on my Laptop is optimized.And Dx11 title too.
So i can't understand where the problem is... In developing?
Wrong configuration?wrong Windows Version,wrong driver?
Don't get me wrong i love this game but not at the moment.... Too much confusion.
And it's not always the user and the PC and the hardware that is cheap excuse.
It's a work in progress and it's normal to encounter some problems. They are working on it and they will try to optimize it. I wouldn't expect it to be perfect because, as someone already said, it's an update, not a new game. Expecting to run a game on triple screen with a 960 is risky.
People should always keep in mind that rFactor 2 is a job for the developers, not a hobby. They won't make decisions based on what 1% of their players want. They will act based on what's best for their business.
You will tell me: "i bought the game in dx9" and i can tell you: "fine, don't update it and you will keep using it without any problem".

It's a work in progress and it's normal to encounter some problems. They are working on it and they will try to optimize it. I wouldn't expect it to be perfect because, as someone already said, it's an update, not a new game. Expecting to run a game on triple screen with a 960 is risky.
People should always keep in mind that rFactor 2 is a job for the developers, not a hobby. They won't make decisions based on what 1% of their players want. They will act based on what's best for their business.
You will tell me: "i bought the game in dx9" and i can tell you: "fine, don't update it and you will keep using it without any problem".

what 1% of their players??? where did you got that info?
960 on triples risky???

https://www.google.pt/search?q=auto...AUICigB&biw=1618&bih=811#imgrc=xUdZIQYlgSEaYM:

ask them... as i did before i bought the other two monitors
of course, if one wants more eye candy one needs more graphic power, but the 960 holds very well

and the starting point of this discussion was by me telling there's a lot of work to be done...

Nice stolen, ripped content from a competing developer, flaunting it around on here.
No wonder Studio 397 doesn't have to announce new content for rFactor 2, because it is littered with stolen content from other titles, I've even seen that car and some kunos tracks plastered all over their website, and they have done nothing to stop it from happening, it just shows they have nothing but pure disrespect for competing developers, like slightly mad studios, kunos and even Reiza.
Stolen content here sir?I have permissions from the autors of the skins,the FXXK model is from GameModels,also is a PRIVATE MOD,or i can not use models from all over the internet to PRIVATE projects,also i have asked PERMISSIONS to Kunos to use some of the models,no awnser so far,and S397 is nothing to do whit convertions......get your facts right boy.....

what 1% of their players??? where did you got that info?
960 on triples risky???

https://www.google.pt/search?q=auto...AUICigB&biw=1618&bih=811#imgrc=xUdZIQYlgSEaYM:

ask them... as i did before i bought the other two monitors
of course, if one wants more eye candy one needs more graphic power, but the 960 holds very well

and the starting point of this discussion was by me telling there's a lot of work to be done...
If you are having so much trouble, then you can't say "960 holds very well". My 1% comes from the fact that i see only you complaining about it and there aren't many people with VR or triple screens, specially with a 960 to handle them. They indeed have to keep working on that and i don't think they said they finished yet.

Stolen content here sir?I have permissions from the autors of the skins,the FXXK model is from GameModels,also is a PRIVATE MOD,or i can not use models from all over the internet to PRIVATE projects,also i have asked PERMISSIONS to Kunos to use some of the models,no awnser so far,and S397 is nothing to do whit convertions......get your facts right boy.....
Are you absolutely sure that the model doesn't come from AC? Did you ask to "GameModels" where they took that? Let's not lie here, i found AC's spa on rfactor 2 forum, we all know those mods exists and they are illegal. You are the only one that has to inform a little better about this stuff.

Are you absolutely sure that the model doesn't come from AC? Did you ask to "GameModels" where they took that? Let's not lie here, i found AC's spa on rfactor 2 forum, we all know those mods exists and they are illegal. You are the only one that has to inform a little better about this stuff.
The model is from AC but not stolen\riped by me,and like i say is a PRIVATE project,i only have shared the pictures,if i go release any FXXK mod is the model from TurboSquid whit almost 600.000 polys,and whit 1 skin,i have some mods here posted here i have used others ppl stufs whit full permissions and credits.....

It's stolen from Assetto corsa, Christopher Elliott, studio 397 administrator, warned them not to post content from other developer on their site again.
So I'm wondering what was his point in posting a picture of it on Race Department, it had nothing to do with his comment or this news, he was just flaunting it, he got caught out and didn't like it.
And he says he asked Kunos if he could use their model, in a competing developers title and he is waiting for a reply, is he having a laugh, does he expect Kunos to say, Yes go ahead use our model in a competing title.

Last edited:
It's stolen from Assetto corsa, Christopher Elliot warned him not to post content from other developer on their site again.
So I'm wondering what was his point in posting a picture of it on Race Department, it had nothing to do with his comment, he was just flaunting it, he got caught out and didn't like it.
I have talk whit Chris,and by mean of post content is release a mod,not pictures or videos,and again is a PRIVATE MOD,or i can not have projects?
Is this s stolen model too?
rFactor2 Mod Mode 2017-05-08 01-49-11-99.jpg
rFactor2 Mod Mode 2017-04-30 21-18-37-37.jpg
rFactor2 Mod Mode 2017-05-08 01-49-11-99.jpg

So, we're finally coming across paid DLCs... What about those of us who bought the lifetime access to online license? Will this benefit us in any way?
I have nothing against paid DLC, after all, i buy it in the game for as long as it is interesting, however this point you touched the signing of lifetime access is something to think about, like many I also acquired a lifetime version. However it should not change anything because the signature was still present in the hands of ISI, as soon as Studio 397 took the development to itself it canceled this aspect, therefore I believe that we will not have any benefit on this subject

If you are having so much trouble, then you can't say "960 holds very well". My 1% comes from the fact that i see only you complaining about it and there aren't many people with VR or triple screens, specially with a 960 to handle them. They indeed have to keep working on that and i don't think they said they finished yet.

in that case you should be right...
like all the other guys that mocked galileu (for example)... when he said what he said
and vr is another issue... there's no comparison

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 351 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing