Jules Bianchi family reveal extent of injuries

ForzaJules.png

After the FIA head of communications Matteo Bonciani announced last night that Jules Bianchi is in a "critical but stable" condition, the Bianchi family have this afternoon revealed the extent of the injuries for Jules.

In a statement they released a few hours ago they stated Jules had suffered a diffuse axonal injury. This type of head injury is caused by the forces associated with either rapid deceleration or acceleration and affects the nerves of the brain.The severity of these injuries can be wide ranging, which means very little can be predicted at this present moment.

The Bianchi family also thanked the general public for their messages in support of Jules. They stated " This is a very difficult time for our family, but the messages of support and affection for Jules from all over the world have been a source of great comfort to us, We would like to express our sincere appreciation. The hospital will continue to monitor and treat Jules and further medical updates will be provided when appropriate."

The family also spoke of their gratitude to the doctors involved in his treatment, including FIA Media Commission president Professor Gerard Saillant and Professor Alessandro Frati, neurosurgeon of the University of Rome La Sapienza, who traveled to Japan at the request of Ferrari.

From here like I said earlier I'm sure everyone in motorsport will be wishing Jules Bianchi a very speedy recovery and I hope to see him amongst the F1 community again as soon as possible. #ForzaJules

This GP shouldn't have happened, it was to risky :/ but anyway I hope Jules will be back soon with no permanent injury. #ForzaJules

According to the likes of Hamilton, the track was definitely safe enough to race. I'm just wondering how one crashes at such speeds under double yellow flag conditions. Keep in mind that double yellows means you need not only slow down, but be able to stop at any moment. Unfortunately Jules wasn't able to stop :(

According to the likes of Hamilton, the track was definitely safe enough to race. I'm just wondering how one crashes at such speeds under double yellow flag conditions. Keep in mind that double yellows means you need not only slow down, but be able to stop at any moment. Unfortunately Jules wasn't able to stop :(
It must have been fine, if it was too bad everyone would have been on full wets not just on inters ;)

Firstly I just want to say it was a sad and unfortunate accident that has left Jules Bianchi in the condition he is in.

It does however, irk me, that people are saying that the race should never have happened. How many wet races have we seen over the last few years, where there has been no major injury. Then as soon as we have one, calls for the race never happening start to surface.

Like Bramalo states, many of the drivers had no problems with the conditions and in the post race interviews they were all commenting that they had no issues with the state of the track at race start. The time the race got under way is a talking point, but that's for another day.

Even Hamilton was telling his team to speed up the safety car at the start and then saying it was almost time for Intermediate tyres. That to me does not say the running of the race was too risky.

The main issue is all based around what happened after Sutil crashed out, as the rain had started to fall heavier, but still the majority of the cars were able to stay on track. Some have said there should have been a safety car. Maybe. But then where do you draw the line. Do we bring out a SC every time someone crashes out and the car needs to be recovered?

Something the FIA need to look at - the machinery that removes the cars from the trackside. They are not designed to be out there. They are more suited to lumping hay bales about.

I do not have the miracle cure for how to make recovery vehicles 100% safe so that a Bianchi incident never happens again, but surely some design boffins can come up with something safer than the juggernaut that was trying to move Sutils car.

Worst F1 accident I have seen , they never showed it on skysports it was that bad ,
They should have red flagged it straight after Sutil,s crash as it was getting a lot of rain ontrack and only getting worse with the inters on ,
But watching this video the speed he was travelling was insane under double yellows , he must have aquaplaned across the track with zero control at all ,
The impact was well above 150g to rock the crane like that ,
Really hope he pulls through this bad incident :(

Incident ..........
http://gfycat.com/HiddenSleepyIceblueredtopzebra#

I wish a speedy recovery to Jules, and hope he will be back in the seat as soon as humanly possible.

As far as the race is concerned, you can't cancel an F1 race at the last minute, there's to much involved in doing that, just the legal ramifications would be mind boggling.
I will say though, that I agreed with the opinions that the race should of been run earlier, this was discussed, but decided that it would be ok to start at the standard time, even though the officials knew the monsoon was coming in fast, bad decision FIA. And this is no storm, it's a monsoons which can dump 1mtr of rain in a matter of hours, and surely you would seek the advice of the local people who know the weather conditions better than the F1 officials do.
I think the real question everyone should be asking is why the FIA didn't start the event earlier, knowing what type of weather was headed their way, and also knowing they wouldn't/couldn't cancel the event at the 11th hour.

Just my view,
Cheers

Reactions: CC
I know I am repeating what the masses say, but they should not have resumed the race until the tractor was out of the way. I don't care if it is a slow turn, all safety vehicles must be removed before the race is resumed- in my honest opinion. But saying this changes nothing that has already happened, quite obviously.

To a certain extent, I can somewhat relate to Adrian Sutil's position in this. A few weeks ago, the place where I regularly race go karts held its final event, and in one of the qualifying races, a fellow racer flipped in front of me. Luckily, nothing was broken, he was only sore, but seeing that happen in front of me and unable to do anything about it seems much like Sutil's position. My thoughts are with Jules, his family as well as Adrian. I have a strong feeling he can pull through this, and I hope I am right about this.

Another thing I would like to touch on is that some people in this world feel as if racing has become "too safe." It is times like these that these opinions truly sicken me. Like any racer, I accept that there is indeed a risk in racing, but wanting to scale back on safety measures is downright appalling. These people that say this also feel that today's racers aren't "heroes" like they used to be "in the good old days." If he does survive this and comes back to race, then Jules Bianchi will indeed be among the greats in my honest opinion. I barely had the courage to get back in my kart a few weeks ago when the fellow racer flipped, I can't even comprehend what it would be like for someone in Jule's position after his accident to get back in a car. That courage required to do so will make me respect him as one of the greats.

Why the hell was the marshal in station 12 waving a green flag? The removal vehicle wasn't behind the barriers at that stage. I can't imagine that race control had authorized the green flag at that time. I know camera angles can be deceptive, but at the very least station 12 was AT the crash site, not after it. Can you even imagine the force that would be needed to move a JCB like that?

Why the hell was the marshal in station 12 waving a green flag? The removal vehicle wasn't behind the barriers at that stage. I can't imagine that race control had authorized the green flag at that time. I know camera angles can be deceptive, but at the very least station 12 was AT the crash site, not after it. Can you even imagine the force that would be needed to move a JCB like that?
And again: The tractor was not in Post 12's sector anymore so he was right to wave green.

They weigh on average between 8-10 tons , with the crane arm about 10 tons , so to move it 1.5 meters up and 2 meters to the right, would take at least 5000lbs of force around 2-3000 kilos ,
So the impact was well above 150g of force nothing can withstand that amount of g-force , like standing within 10 meters of a C4 blast ,
Even if he pulls through which we all hope for , he will never drive a racing car again , or he could end up back in a coma , the brain never fully recovers from those type of injury,s :(

At least 20 meters or so. But even if it were 1 meter, there's no problem with a green flag there. The track was safe after Station 12.

And besides, with the bad visibility from the rain and the darkness, I doubt the drivers could see the flags that well. They probably rely more on their wheel lights.

Re: the green flag. See here, Sky F1 report that clears it up. Also remember a green flag comes into effect only when the driver is alongside it, not before.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 207 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 150 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 265 13.6%