Joux Plane available for AC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike raises a good point. And this entire thing was MY BAD, I thought I was banned cause I didn't realize the other thread was locked. MY BAD.

For example, in the iRacing TOS, as well as Trading Paints (the program used to display custom car skins), it explicitly states you cannot use logos or artwork on your design that you don't own the rights to or have not been allowed to use, punishable by suspension or outright ban.

This makes 95% of all car skins you see on iRacing, against their own T.O.S. If iR were to enforce this rule, the sim would be a ghost town aside from the few people who haven't installed Trading Paints yet.

On the flip side, over at NoGripRacing.com, there are several mods for NFS Shift that feature car models and sounds ripped straight from Forza 3. However, the creators included a disc check during the install process that requires you to have a copy of Forza 3 in order for the installation to proceed. As far as I know they have not run into any legal troubles doing so.

If you wanna ensure the right people are credited for their work, include a disc checker in the installer. Problem solved. There just aren't enough mod teams to go around, so using a combination of conversions, ripped content, and original content, is the best way to let the catalog of tracks & cars grow. Those concerned about AC consisting of only ripped content need not be worried, as many scratch-built mods can be seen in development over in the mods section of the AC forum here.

As far as I see it.... the mods on here tend to be created to be used within the same game/sim it came from, anything that comes from another title if spotted tends to go bye bye's.

That's where the issue lays with the AC track converstion......doth commeth from another title, not scratch built.

I'm just confused.....this is a fictional track so the "owners" of the track are the company that made it...these are the guys that are getting stolen from when somebody rips it.....but if somebody takes their track and makes a scratch made version without their permission how is that allowed? It is no more legal than ripping it; you still stole their work and inserted it into another game.

If there was an actual RBR disk check in the ripped one does it suddenly become okay?

Supporting an illegal mod is still more morally right than supporting EA.

We will shortly begin another argument about unlicensed conversions and intellectual property theft. But as someone who never pirates games or movies or anything else, and who has led a decent and moral and rather boring life for 50 years, I have to say... if driving this unexpected gem of a track is a crime, then someone phone the police, because I'm going to jail.

Not all AC's cars have the suspension to deal with this course, but those which do are an absolute delight to fling round these bends. I haven't had this much fun in years. :) We may never have got the RBR2 many of us wanted, but we have this. And it is absolutely bl**dy wonderful!

This guy, man...

Well, the last thread got closed so I might as well put my 2 cents in.

Kegetys did include with his track an EULA. It's only 1 line stating that people need to own RBR to use the track. If people violate this, that's on their own accord of violating the implicit agreement by downloading and extracting it. To try to censor it because others will willingly violate said agreement is preposterous and quite ridiculous.

It's a bit of a double standard, when Kunos (or other developers) introduce EULA's and expect them to be followed, but a modder implements a licence agreement, and it's instantly a "theft" mod. Ridiculous. Maybe we should start ignoring every EULA. Pirate every copy of every game ever made if this is the standard Kunos wants to set by effectively "banning" ports from other sims.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back