Josef Newgarden drives to first INDYCAR victory in Alabama

04CJ8325.jpg
A capacity crowd of over 80,000 spectators witnessed a special moment at Barber Motorsports Park on Sunday, as American rising star Josef Newgarden won his very first IndyCar Series race in his 52nd start at the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama.

Newgarden made a dynamite start on lap 1, swooping past second row starters Simon Pagenaud and Scott Dixon at the first corner. By the time he'd passed Will Power at turn 16 he'd already moved from 5th to 2nd right behind polesitter Helio Castroneves, who led the fourth consecutive front-row lockout this season by Team Penske. Newgarden continued to put the pressure on the three-time Indianapolis 500 winner throughout the entire opening stanza, and when the leaders pitted on lap 19 during the first full course caution caused by an awkward collision involving Power and Takuma Sato, Newgarden emerged with the lead, which he'd hold for 46 of the 90 laps run.

04CJ7829.jpg

Power was slapped with a drive-thru penalty as race stewards deemed he had caused an avoidable accident by pulling out of pit lane in the path of an at-speed Sato as they approached turn 2. The defending IndyCar Series champion was not happy with that outcome, but he did recover very well to eventually finish 4th.

The second full-course yellow came out on lap 34 as a passing attempt by Stefano Coletti on James Jakes went awry - Coletti dove down to the inside of Jakes at Turn 5, they made contact and both drivers spun at the apex of the corner. Jakes stalled his car momentarily, requiring assistance from the Holmatro Safety Team to get going again and losing a lap in the process. Interestingly enough, both Coletti and Jakes participated in the inaugural GP3 Series championship in 2010, where they ranked 8th and 9th, well ahead of the 18th-placed driver that year, a young American driving for Carlin named...Josef Newgarden.

That second full-course yellow prompted an alternate race strategy from one of the front runners, as Graham Rahal - who, ominously, was the only Honda driver to qualify inside the top ten on Saturday - stayed out as Newgarden and Castroneves pitted on lap 35. Rahal would stretch his second stint out to lap 48, and assuming the rest of the race ran without interruptions, Rahal would be able to push harder on his last stint than Newgarden, who would have to drive a longer final stint and thus have to conserve fuel and tyres to make it to the end.

16C_6557-1.jpg

And indeed the race did run without any other caution flags, and indeed, race strategy did become a factor at a track where passing comes at a premium. That doesn't mean, however, that overtaking was non-existent - as veteran drivers such as Scott Dixon and Juan Pablo Montoya made some very bold moves as the race entered the final stages.

But once Rahal got up to speed following his final pit stop on lap 70 - pitting five laps after Newgarden made his final stop - he began a charge that brought the thousands in attendance in Birmingham to their feet. From fifth, having already made quick work of Power, he passed two-time and defending race winner Ryan-Hunter Reay on the outside line of turn 5 with eleven laps remaining. He did it again with nine to go as he moved past Helio Castroneves and onto a podium place. With seven laps remaining, and having already used all of his push-to-pass tokens, he was chasing down second-placed Scott Dixon and the lead wasn't entirely out of reach, driving flat-out laps as those in front were conserving fuel.

04CJ7743.jpg

On the final lap, Rahal powered past Dixon at the exit of turn 9 for second, to the roar of the thousands in attendance. Perhaps carrying the number 15 was a good luck charm in the state of Alabama - where the University of Alabama football team recognizes having won that same number of national championships, a statistic that the locals will be very happy to remind you of.

Ultimately, Newgarden had enough to make it to the finish for his much-anticipated first victory in the IndyCar Series. Born in Hendersonville, Tennessee - just north of Nashville and a few hours away from Birmingham - the 24-year-old won what was effectively his home race, leading Rahal to a 1-2 finish for two young, popular American drivers. Dixon, carrying Coca-Cola sponsorship, rounded off the podium, with Power and Hunter-Reay completing the top five.

JGS_3040-1.jpg

Newgarden's victory was his first of course, the first for the newly-formed CFH Racing team. Sarah Fisher, the co-owner of Newgarden's #67 car, became a winning car owner for the first time since the 2011 race at Kentucky Speedway - won by Ed Carpenter, now a co-owner of CFH racing. Rahal took his first podium finish in nearly a year (Detroit 2014), and Dixon his sixth consecutive podium finish at Barber in as many races - to move within thirteen points of Montoya - who still holds the championship lead by three points over his Penske teammate Castroneves, after the polesitter ran out of fuel on the last lap - finishing 15th, one place behind Montoya.

No driver ever forgets the joy of their first victory, and those in attendance were more than happy in sharing that jubilation with young Josef Newgarden - especially those avid supporters of his who had anticipated this moment for the last three years.

16C_6750.jpg

In the championships of the Mazda Road to Indy, Spencer Pigot snapped Ed Jones' three-race win streak and moved into the championship lead by sweeping both races of the Legacy Indy Lights 100. Malaysian driver Weiron Tan and American championship leader Neil Alberico split the honors in the Pro Mazda Championship, and Cape Motorsports teammates Aaron Telitz and Nico Jamin each won a race in the USF2000 National Championship.

Festivities for the month of May begin in two weeks with the second running of the Grand Prix of Indianapolis, which will serve as the prelude to the 99th running of the Indianapolis 500 on 24 May.

Finally, a commentary, as this was a race I'd attended not just as a RaceDepartment correspondent, but as a fan who had attended his first race since the bizarre 2005 United States Grand Prix.

Barber Motorsports Park is a fantastic venue. It has a layout that is very challenging to drive, with lots of high-speed, flowing corners and extreme undulations - the exact reason why it sometimes lends itself to processional races. It's almost like an American rendition of Brands Hatch. There's almost no bad place to sit along the hillsides that line the backstretch.

The crowd was massive. And soon the grumbling over the hour-long gridlock as me and my father tried to exit the parking lot receded to being glad that there was gridlock, because that meant people came to the race by the masses. And they came to see a fantastic race.

Newgarden, finally a winner after years of chipping away, and what a likeable young man he is. Rahal, looking every bit the driver I felt he should have become when I first saw him in Champ Car as an 18-year-old rookie. Even though he finished 14th, Montoya looked better than any time I saw him drive the USGP at Indianapolis.

I will definitely be back next year. And hopefully it meets or exceeds what I saw yesterday.

Thanks for the race report. It was a very entertaining race to watch on television ; lots of action , some great passes and some bone-headed moves. Glad to see Newgarden get his first win.

My biggest bone-head move of the race: Forgetting that sunscreen is good to have on your face. Particularly around the nose area. As it stands my face is about the same hue as Dixon's Coca-Cola car.

My biggest bone-head move of the race: Forgetting that sunscreen is good to have on your face. Particularly around the nose area. As it stands my face is about the same hue as Dixon's Coca-Cola car.
I haven't spent much time in the Deep South , but I do remember that it can be very hot and humid when the sun is out. Sunscreen is a must.

Great race, i've been out of the loop for a while with Indycar mainly due to lack of coverage but this reminded me of some of the races from when I was watching back in the 90's. Very mature drive from Newgarden and such an exciting one from Rahal over those last 20 or so laps. Amazed that Power was able to come back from that dumb moment on his way out of the pits to claim 4th spot. Credit where it is due to him there.

Can't wait for the next one :thumbsup:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 286 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years