Jos Verstappen

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Jos Verstappen has reiterated his feelings that former Benetton team-mate Michael Schumacher used a selection of driving aids during the 1994 Formula 1 season, explaining that 'there is no way he could have been so fast' in a standard car.
The Dutchman, who claimed two podium finishes during his time in the sport, was left convinced when team boss Flavio Briatore refused to talk about the matter.

Source

Schumacher's got a LONG list of pissed off teammates he has left for dust. Complaining about this now, without even any new evidence whatsoever, is just so completely, utterly pointless -.-

And even IF it's true:
I think it's been proven time and time again that in F1, unless you get caught, you weren't really cheating :p

Didn't Williams have someone on the roof at Imola 1994 to check if Schumacher left tyres marks at the start?
I'm not sure about that, but when Senna retired in one of the races of the same season, he remained behind the wall of a corner listening to the Benetton as it went around, and was convinced it was using driving aids.

But this whole thing was dropped because Benetton wasn't proven beyond a reasonable doubt that they were using aids.

Everyone knows the Benetton used driving aids. I've always been at peace with the fact. It really doesnt get to me at all. It's the cheeky side of Formula 1, the 'what can we get away with' attitude. We see that same attitude to this very day, Newey has cheating down to an art, thats why he's the best.

And I'm sure the grand master of F1 himself, Bernie, had a few dodgy Brabham's in their time. I seem to remember reading about 2 Brabhams that ran underweight for most of a season, they topped the weight up by putting water in the brake drums. Ingenious

Everyone knows the Benetton used driving aids. I've always been at peace with the fact. It really doesnt get to me at all. It's the cheeky side of Formula 1, the 'what can we get away with' attitude. We see that same attitude to this very day, Newey has cheating down to an art, thats why he's the best.

And I'm sure the grand master of F1 himself, Bernie, had a few dodgy Brabham's in their time. I seem to remember reading about 2 Brabhams that ran underweight for most of a season, they topped the weight up by putting water in the brake drums. Ingenious
Couldn't agree more.

And Bernie's even admitted somewhere recently that the reason they were doing well at Brabham is that they were the best at not getting caught.

Yes, apparantly it used to be legal to replenish water/coolant into the car after races. What a loophole!

Thers a good German proverb:
Den Neid andere muss man sich hart verdienen
Tries to to translate:
The envy of the others there you must earn the hard way. ( My english is sooo bad)

Thers a good German proverb:
Den Neid andere muss man sich hart verdienen
Tries to to translate:
The envy of the others there you must earn the hard way. ( My english is sooo bad)

I'd say "You have to earn the envy of other people the hard way". Doesn't fit exactely though, you probably meant this?:

http://dict.leo.org/forum/viewUnsolvedquery.php?idThread=591173&idForum=1&lp=ende&lang=de

And boy Jos, what do you plan to achieve with this?

I know a certain Dutch guy that wasn't ashamed showing top-secret telemetry data of Tyrrell to the media, if he thought he had to prove his point of view about the car being too slow, etc...

schumacher also had on track assistance as well...

- we all know that Rubens had to yield to MS if called on
- i remember seeing Saubers always allowing ferraris to pass (must of been in the engine supply contract)
- and Ralf always seemed to get in the way of Montoya a lot (IMO Montoya was MS's biggest threat in the early 00's). In fact anything Williams had over Ferrari would have no doubt been passed to MS through his brother.

so if MS had 20% of the grid helping him too... it wouldnt of been hard to dominate. it's only my 10c but a lot of it wasnt hard to see.

I don't think Peter Sauber would do that... He's not the team principal to do that, whoever supplies the engines.

(Saubers were often slower than Ferraris anyway)

And Ralf? Ralf once had the chance to win the championship too, and so he had to beat guys like his teammate Montoya too.

They were cheating, yeah, but no doubt - Schumacher is great driver. Just watch Qualifying from Monaco 96'.

And in 94' there is option that they was scared about that Senna can dominate when nobody can use aids... so they allowed Schumacher to do it. FIA is always trying to make top drivers equal (tyre rules in 2005, blown diffusers on Silverstone this year...). Shame about FIA.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back