Jolyon Palmer given 2016 Lotus race seat

Palmer.png

2014 GP2 champion Jolyon Palmer will become a full time F1 driver next season after being awarded the second Lotus seat alongside Pastor Maldonado for the 2016 season.

When Palmer, who has already taken part in 10 official sessions as Lotus' third driver this year, takes to the grid next season, he will become the first GP2 champion since Romain Grosjean in 2011 to actually make it into Formula One. In addition, in a somewhat strange twist of destiny, it was the surprise decision of Grosjean to switch to the new Haas for 2016 which opened the door for Palmer at Lotus, however he had to fight off challenges from Kevin Magnussen, Stoffel Vandoorne and Esteban Ocon for the drive.

As the news of his promotion came to the fore, Palmer told press that he is "obviously delighted that [he'll] be racing in Formula 1 next year", whilst he also thanked the Lotus F1 team for the "tremendous opportunity this season."

Lotus Chairman and Team Principal, Gerard Lopez, meanwhile was quoted as saying, "we've seen Jolyon's hard work and talent this season in the way he's approached his third driver role has made him a really popular choice."

Do you think Palmer has what it takes to make it in the world of F1? Or is he destined to join the long list of F1 'one hit wonders'? Let us know below!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be suprised if he can keep up with Maldonado next year. Weakest driver duo on the grid in my opinion.

He's never made much of an impression on me in the lower formula but it's nice to see a newish face get an F1 race seat and the more Brits the better as far as I am concerned :)

• Deleted member 205301

...Great news for him, but probably not the best choice..Let him a chance to prouve that we are wrong...

I would be suprised if he can keep up with Maldonado next year. Weakest driver duo on the grid in my opinion.
Beating Maldonado as a teammate is easy though; just finish the race. :)
What about the whole Renault thing?
Yep, either the writer forgot, or then just referred Renault as Lotus for the time being.
(Much like at Formula1.com, Renault is referred as Lotus).

Last edited:
Beating Maldonado as a teammate is easy though; just finish the race. :)

Yep, either the writer forgot, or then just referred Renault as Lotus for the time being.
(Much like at Formula1.com, Renault is referred as Lotus).
Lol your probably right but still i think maldonado will be faster on the track. He just needs to keep it there, on the track :p

• Deleted member 205301

..and in the right direction ;)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 99 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.0%