WIP Jingkai Street Circuit, Beijing

Kyle Puttifer

@Simberia
A request from Raido, here are some screens of the street circuit used for A1GP in Beijing, China.
The track will include 4 layouts - A1GP new and old. The old version has the long dual carriageway and the hairpin right at the end of it. The new layout has the hairpin about halfway down, but it is a bit more of a challenge as you have to take the perfect line - as much speed as possible but don't hit the pit entry barrier! Both layouts will have chicane and no chicane variants, because I don't like the chicane as it limits the speed on the dual carriageway.
The texture used for astroturf is from the Road Mid XPack - it's the basic no groove texture, but I've duplicated it and changed the colour to turquoise. :)
Don't worry, both of the hairpins are stupidly tight, and require full lock of your wheel and speeds of about 10-15mph (with the A1GP 2008/09 mod).

Screens:
Turn 4, onto the dual carriageway:

Chicane:

The new hairpin, the pit entry barrier is protected by a piece of TecPro and a piece of polystyrene with the A1GP logo. :)

Old hairpin, the barrier opposite the braking zone is lined with TecPro:

Turn 1:

I'm having severe issues with the AIW. All of the barriers are in place. At the final corner, it is very tight and instead of turning right, the AI cars turn right slightly, then turn left and try to turn a full 360 before going onto the home "straight". It's too tight so they hit the wall. Also, there is another tight corner (turn 3) which is a left hander, where they will turn in a bit, then turn right so they are going straight again, and into the wall.
I've tried a BTB AIW and creating a fast path using the ISI editor, but both give the same results. Also, if an AI car goes anywhere near a curb, it will do everything it can to get away from it. It is one of the default curbs, Flat1, and it uses the rfactor material "rmbl".

If anyone thinks they can get this AIW sorted, send me a PM and I'll send you the track.

I'm not much of an AIW expert (only know how to adjust their speed if they're too slow/fast), but sure do appreciate you looking into my suggestion of making Beijing. Thankx mucho! :thanks: Much sorrow and gnashing of teeth was heard around the halls of simracing when it became known that this track was never to reach the users even though it was previewed. (I'm sure the rF racers in China will like it too - they sure dig local tracks, but it seems apart from talented exceptions like Raceking, they don't have many full-blown trackmakers around yet.)

One fun thing you could introduce in this track is SMOG (don't think I've seen it specifically done in a sim track before). I remember seeing this race and since it was in the pre-2008 Olympic era (when Beijing partly cleaned up its act) the smog was massive on this track. It looked like a gray-orangy fog at the time. Didn't hamper the racing itself, but it sure helped define the impressions of that race.

I'm still a bit sad that A1GP didn't continue btw - I liked the series and the fact that it used some new tracks (like Durban, Chengdu, Beijing etc) which we hadn't seen in F1 before. It's also one of the few series I attended myself (2006 in Zandvoort).

New screens.

New scenery - the J-shaped shopping centre on the right has a cubemap applied to the glass texture in-game, so it looks a bit better:

On the outside of turn 1, with some of RSoul's cars on the top. :)

Some changes to the straight between turns 3 and 4:

Big A1GP thing:

The straight between turns 1 and 2:

There are some buildings that are just placeholders for now - namely the buildings from the basic city xpack by dosgraphix and the industrial buildings from the Mauro pack.
The satellite imagery used to shape the buildings is from Google Earth.

That's really starting to look like a proper city track... :cool: Quick progress, too! :D

Smog seems effective, I'd make it a bit less "thick" since it was not quite as dense as real fog on a foggy day, but really noticeable anyway. Also I'd color it (or the sky) a bit more orangy, since at the time of the race the sun *was* shining, you just didn't notice it was actually sunny because of the smog layer in the city. So the place looked a bit pale smokey orange. You can still notice that on the Youtube videos of the race.

Can anyone get me a link to the Sky Sports TV coverage of the Sprint and Feature races? Even better, the whole 2006/07 season? If it's from a so-called "dodgy" source ie the file type starts with 'tor' and ends in 'rent', use PM.
There are 2 reasons for this:
a) I need some reference for grandstand placement.
b) I was hooked on A1GP, yet I only ever watched one race, and that was the first ever race in Brands!
(the 2008/09 season would be great as well)

At the moment it's quite smooth, but Turn 4 is bumpy due to the track merge. To create bumps, do I just add a small amount of randomness to the track's cross-section?

I think that would work. Be careful not to over do it and make an off road track lol. But Reliant Park is bumpy mainly because there's a lot of changes in the surface. But from what I've heard and seen Jingkai is very bumpy to begin with so just experiement and see what's right. If you or I can find an onboard we can carefully measure and look where are the bumpiest sections of the circuit

This track will be released:
a) On it's own and
b) Bundled with A1GP 2008/09.

I may release b) here on RD but I am STILL awaiting a reply from CTDP about permissions, despite having emailed them about 2 weeks ago.

Here's a novel idea for the track:
There were safety concerns about the high downforce of the cars, as they were ripping up manhole covers.
Just a little food for thought.

To make bumps, I usually use the Road Surface/Profile (shape) function and by hand, lay a few bumpy ones (close together) on the fast bits... That'll rattle your teeth allright (4 to 7 cm in height)

But I also read this one a while ago,

"Thanks Lee, I took the 1928 Merc around. Good fun. You might like to add maybe 0.03 of vertical randomness to the track profile on the three centre nodes, maybe the outside two if you're feeling adventurous as well, just to give it some more life, particularly on the straight bits. "

" Quote Originally Posted by woochoo View Post
yeah, depending on the length of your panels you might need to play around with the randomness value, but for Longford the panels are between 3 and 7 meters and i think the most randomness i used was 0.03 - give's the ol' g25 a little something to do along an... ... ... ..."

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 206 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 149 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 265 13.6%