PC1 Jim's view

I'm not disclosing my ffb settings just yet as it's all down to personal feel plus I'm at work and it's all written down at home but I'm about 75% getting it just right and the cornering ffb is fantastic, some of the best I've experienced (Waits for the disagree crowd to leave their mark lol). I've mainly been driving the GT3 Ginetto at Brno and I will get a base set up to use at all the tracks with just a tweak depending on the car. I've read a lot of disgruntled opinionated posts and all the while I'm having a great time testing. I spent a good few weeks just tweaking settings in RF2 to get it how I like it but I feel people are very impatient. I read people saying "I spent x amount of hours and it's still crap" well boo hoo, dry your eyes and keep testing because it is there. They've given you the tools to create your own personal ffb and all you have to do is find it. It won't happen overnight my good forum buddies :) but I've said it before and I'll say it again, "Patience" I've seen what I consider some of the fastest, most experienced sim racers playing this game and having fun because at the end of the day that's what it should all be about. Games now don't come ready made like they used to unfortunately, but hey ho that's the way of the modern gaming world so let's all calm down and stop getting excited over what is wrong with the game. People say "It's not like ac or gsce or rf2 blah blah" well guess what lol the clue is in the title. As I said I'm about 75% getting my ffb sorted and it'll probably be another week before I'm getting near 100% I'm about 80% with my graphics settings. After I finish my night shift tonight I'm off work for 3 day so If anyone want to get a server going with me I'll test with you and share what I'm doing but it's all down to how it feels to you not me.

I have a G27 as well and followed the link that lou posted. It was much better for me.
However I haven't had a chance to dive as deep as Jim is doing so cheers to you for that!
I don't have a gripe with the straight line ffb so much as while under heavy braking.

I'm having a hard time feeling when my wheels lock up under braking. Primarily under straight line braking before turning in. This is making it difficult for me to understand how hard I can/should be braking.
Tire noise is also very quite otherwise I'd use that as more of an indicator.
Any suggestions on how to improve that feedback?

@jimortality Hi Jim
I use a T500 and I think your settings might help me. Would love to try them out.

cheers
Andy
Well I'm just trying the xml file that is knocking about but main settings were ffb 100 tyre thingy 100 then in car setup

Master spindle 38
FX 64
FY 64
FZ 150
MZ 72
Steering lock is car dependent, I have it at 21 in game for GT3

Thrustmaster control panel I have 100, 100, 0,0

This is still work in progress but drive at least 20 laps and let me know what you think. Don't forget though, our arm strengths may differ so it will feel different for you but you get what I mean.

One thing I will say about the FFB is that it has no feeling in a straight line, it doesn't feel natural to me, move the wheel slightly and the FFB kicks in, but on a long straight there is no feeling at all, I've tried tweaking a few settings but to no avail yet. :cautious:

It could be the track. Some tracks have much more microbumps than others. Try the laser scanned tracks (4 of the British tracks are high quality laser scanned meshes), like Brands Hatch or Oulton Park. Then make sure you have your Car Setup FFB tab set to something like this:

Multiplier = 40
Fx = 110 (this is an abnormally high number but just to exaggerate it for you)
Fy = 50
Fz = 50
Mz = 100

You could also mess with the steering arm angle setting (also found in the same FFB tab but NOT when you are on track/in the track garage! You need to access it through the main menu.. very confusing indeed and very odd. I've reported this numerous times over the past half year on the WMD forums, to no avail). Set the steering arm angle to quite low numbers and you have really tight centered FFB which should produce quite a bit of "driving straight" rumble on tracks that are bumpy (obviously not on tracks that are silky smooth) but then you lose some feel while cornering and other oddities.

Basically it comes down to this: Laser scanned tracks are just far superior when it comes to micro detail. There are so many tiny bumps and seams in the track that you basically have constant feedback from the track. The "artificial" tracks that are hand made have a lot of this detail missing.. even though most of them had some mathematical microbump magic added to them, they still are a far cry from the laser scanned tracks of iRacing and AC. It is unfortunate but it is what it is.

A few bumpy tracks that aren't laser scanned are Watkins Glen and the Spanish track..

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back