Jimmy's not wrong, but he's not right either

Shovas

Premium
You may have noticed a flurry of positive videos about AMS2's latest release, Racin' USA. Well, Jimmy Broadbent noticed and put up a short video about it and his opinions on the latest Racin' USA improvements. Jimmy has such a large audience that his opinion will attract by far the most attention of sim racers, outside of a small subset who know what other channels to watch.

Now, he's not exactly wrong, but he's not exactly right, either. He's probably absolutely right about some of the behaviour of cars over kerbs, or a generally bouncy ride, or the feel of skipping over the road surface as opposed to rolling over it, and perhaps other things.

But when Jimmy contrasts the physics, ffb, handling, and driving experience to titles like iRacing and ACC, I have to question whether he's coming at this objectively and whether he's put in enough time with AMS2 (he admits he has put little time into AMS2).

iRacing's nickname, iceRacing, is well-earned, to this day, even though it's on a physical tyre model. How Jimmy talks about being "connected to the road" in iRacing blows my mind. ACC still exhibits awkward lumbering slides and tyres that feel on edge all the time with little threshold to play.

Yes, AMS2 can and must improve in some areas to really nail the experience, but I feel opinions on what's "realistic" in sims is missing the point, and we really should all know this by now...

Because all sims are pretty bad if you compare to real life driving. If we're honest, they're almost nothing alike, we're just interpreting one mode to another. In fact, when it comes down to "realistic" physics, ffb, and handling...

I suggest a term like "intuitive" is better than "accurate", "simulation", "simcade", or "arcade" to describe the way we interpret sim handling.

For me, rF2 with its rubber grip catching and releasing, is the most intuitive I've felt in any sim, followed by AMS2, no surprise because they're both using physical tyre models. ACC follows after which, for having an empirical tyre model, is actually really good, you can feel a bit more in ACC than other empirical tyre model sims. iRacing follows somewhere after and its hit or miss depending on the car.

What do you guys think? Do we even have an objective way of talking about sim handling? Has Jimmy put in enough time on AMS2 to be objective given he's put in hundreds or thousands of hours on iR/ACC?

Here's Jimmy's video and a response from Ermin Hamidovic:

Last edited:
Im on the east coast US and I'm in a Australian league. Never encountered any real netcoding issues or warping.

My wheel inputs turn the cars.

Anyone who says its not a sim or for casual driving has never tried to maintain 10% wheel slip angle with the rears around silverstone in an M1 Procar which I was doing just two minutes ago.

I come here and its like another planet.
I agree. I can't really understand the hate for AMS2. Maybe I'm just too stupid to understand what's 'realistic' and what's not. I've never driven a proper race car so I have no idea what that's actually like but I own a couple of relatively quick road cars and AMS2 feels pretty damn good to me.

I agree. I can't really understand the hate for AMS2. Maybe I'm just too stupid to understand what's 'realistic' and what's not. I've never driven a proper race car so I have no idea what that's actually like but I own a couple of relatively quick road cars and AMS2 feels pretty damn good to me.
Some of us have driven real race cars and try to compare sims based on how objectively well they replicate a real driving/racing experience rather than comparing based on popularity or our familiarity with certain titles. If the forums here at RD had some of those discussions and debates, I'd come here regularly as I used to for many years. Instead, I'll pop in once a month for some news and skip the exhausting, frustrating and mostly content-free "discussions"...especially when the topic is a mostly content-free video from a YT "influencer."

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 211 14.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.6%
  • < 5 years