Jeremy Clarkson dropped as Top Gear host, BBC confirms

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
Jeremy-Clarkson-014.jpg

On Twitter recent reports surface that Jeremy Clarkson is sacked by the BBC. However the Top Gear host himself denies these claims.

Clarkson responded to all the rumors on Twitter with: "Just to keep everyone up to date, I haven't heard a thing."

According to the Guardian Clarkson's contract will not be renewed, sourcing BBC's director general Tony Hall.

If the rumors are true this will most likely be the end of one of the world's most successful TV shows to date as Clarkson's co-hosts James May and Richard Hammond don't wish to continue without their partner, all three hosts have their contracts up for renewal this year.

To be continued...

Update 14:46 GMT: BBC confirms Clarkson's contract will not be renewed.

The BBC's director general has confirmed that Jeremy Clarkson will not be returning to the show after an "unprovoked physical attack" (PDF) on producer Oisin Tymon.

"During the physical attack Oisin Tymon was struck, resulting in swelling and bleeding to his lip. The verbal abuse was sustained over a longer period, both at the time of the physical attack and subsequently.

Ken MacQuarrie led the internal investigation into the 'fracas'. Oisin Tymon did not submit a formal complaint, and it is understood that Clarkson reported himself to BBC executives.

The verbal abuse "contained the strongest expletives and threats to sack" Mr Tymon, who believed he had lost his job, Mr MacQuarrie noted in his report.

Announcing his decision, BBC Director General Lord Hall said Clarkson's dismissal was unavoidable after "a member of staff - who is a completely innocent party - took himself to Accident and Emergency after a physical altercation accompanied by sustained and prolonged verbal abuse of an extreme nature.

"For me a line has been crossed. There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations."

"This decision should in no way detract from the extraordinary contribution that Jeremy Clarkson has made to the BBC. I have always personally been a great fan of his work and Top Gear."

Whether James May and Richard Hammond will continue on the show is yet to be confirmed. All three had their contracts up for renewal this year.

Even a man widely declared as 'evil', billionaire media magnate and supremo of News Corp and Fox Rupert Murdoch, tweeted "How stupid can BBC be in firing Jeremy Clarkson? Funny man with great expertise and huge following."

James May chimed in, hinting at the end of Top Gear as we know it to Sky News. He joked "if you'll excuse me, I very desperately have to write the eBay listing for my Ferrari."

"I'm sure Top Gear will continue in some form." When asked about whether he will continue with the programme, May said "I don't want to talk about that too much, I think it's very much the three of us as a package, it works for very complicated reasons and a lot of people don't fully understand. So, that'll require a lot of careful thought."

When asked about who the replacement could be, May simply said "As much as I think he's a knob, I quite like working with Jeremy."

The Daily Telegraph reported that the star would be dropped after an internal investigation concluded he had attacked a producer on the show.
Weird. Not like the tabloid news to report misinformation. :\
They're usually the trustworthy go-to outlets when I am looking for reliable and unbiased news coverage. Very strange to see this indeed.

Have the BBC actually said anything? All I can find is a load of 'we hear that' and 'it looks like' BS; not one single fact to be found.

A petition (which I signed) that reached 1 million signatures was delivered to the BBC head office about a week ago (by a man dressed as the Stig and riding a tank, no less); I seriously doubt that Clarkson will be dropped, else Top Gear will fall a lot in popularity. The trio of Clarkson, May and Hammond are just unbeatable. He'll probably get a slap on the wrist; and there are far worse celebrities on TV right now than Clarkson.

I feel bad for Jeremy and the viewers however the show is way less popular here in the states. It just says a lot of the Motorsport fan in Europe when we have quotes like one of the best TV shows ever. Shoot the Speed Channel didn't even survive here in the US.

The man is a prick regardless of his fan following and popularity. Not a BBC fan I am, but I do not understand why all the slating for BBC when I think sacking him is just the right thing to do. No one wants a 6 feet 5 inch bully with pugilistic tendencies as his or her colleague. And this episode is not his first; the man is much more than a Mike Tyson!

The man is a prick regardless of his fan following and popularity. Not a BBC fan I am, but I do not understand why all the slating for BBC when I think sacking him is just the right thing to do. No one wants a 6 feet 5 inch bully with pugilistic tendencies as his or her colleague. And this episode is not his first; the man is much more than a Mike Tyson!

Exactly. I gave up watching Top Gear years ago when it stopped being all about the cars and ended up becoming a show about 3 middle aged guys pissing around in some cars... Even the show's executive producer admitted it's a show aimed at people with the mental age of 9! What does that say about how much they care about the show?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...nter-by-bbc-10131695.html?cmpid=facebook-post

You'll need to scroll down to the bit where it says "15 things you never knew about Top Gear".

+100 That idiot goes to Vietnam thinking it is funny to paint a car to be a giant rolling stars and stripes flag, they go to the Argentina and start hitting on the Falklands War (*1) for laughs, he should have been fired years ago! Also, he gets expensive cars for free to play with only to pan them with the most brutal reviews, why? Because Clarkson cannot drive the car! Or he needs some bile to pump into 'Product Clarkson' so some company has to lose hundred of thousands of dollars just so he can go acting an ass on Sunday nights. Get out of here Clarkson your many years out of date!

*1 I know they deny this, this is one of those unusual occasions where it would be stupid to give them the benefit of the doubt, they themselves would well understand why I am sure.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/‘t...o-be-fired-by-bbc-report/ar-AA9XfHI?ocid=iehp

It’s a bad situation because the show isn't the same without him however he is a wild card and he's got himself in hot water more than once on the show for making racist or prejudice comments and has been warned repeatedly so I was shocked when he got into a scuffle with one of the show's producers last week. It seems Jeremy just can't seem to learn from his mistakes or he thought he was just too important to the show and they would never get rid of him. The show won't be the same without him but from a network standpoint, I can understand why they must do this now.

Shows like South Park are way more offensive than Clarkson.

Clarkson just uses prejudices very often and normally they dont harm anyone, cause anybody knows how it is meant.

Top Gear without Clarkson will have way less success - Even if Clarkson did some stupid stuff, to kick him is not clever from the BBC. The show wont be as popular as before

This may be a publicity stunt, but if it's not then I don't know what to do with my life. I'd usually wait for the next Top Gear season but if they really stop it, I might have to actually study :O_o:

Mission accomplished,He wanted to get out of his contract with the BBC,
He sold his 30% stake in Top Gear in august last year,Why would he do that? Oh yeah,cos he knew he was going to be leaving,
I think the 3 of them will be doing the same thing on a different channel,And guess who'll own the rights to the show,you got it Mr Clarkson,It's all about the Power & the Money!!!

I dunno, how many people would be able to punch a colleague and keep their job? I'll be really sad to see him go, but he hasn't exactly helped himself. Just think about you in your day jobs, if you were offensive to others and punched people over such trivial things like a steak, would you be likely to keep your job?

I dunno, how many people would be able to punch a colleague and keep their job? I'll be really sad to see him go, but he hasn't exactly helped himself. Just think about you in your day jobs, if you were offensive to others and punched people over such trivial things like a steak, would you be likely to keep your job?
In a normal job, i would be fired, of course.

Footballers, F1 drivers and other people have also punched people in the past, they still had their job. Other TV moderators and entertainers have had made some more or less offensive statements and still had their job.

Clarkson is an Entertainer and in my eyes he is also Top Gear. Many people dont want to see him go.

In a normal job, i would be fired, of course.

Footballers, F1 drivers and other people have also punched people in the past, they still had their job. Other TV moderators and entertainers have had made some more or less offensive statements and still had their job.

Clarkson is an Entertainer and in my eyes he is also Top Gear. Many people dont want to see him go.
*cough* Jimmy Saville *cough* Rolf Harris *cough*

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing