Jenson Button

McLaren-MP247-Sutton11_2711318.jpg

Jenson Button concedes McLaren need to get out of the box fast this season as main rivals Red Bull won't be resting on their laurels.

Although McLaren were the second best team on last year's F1 grid, the Woking outfit fell far short of the mark set down by reigning World Champions Red Bull and Sebastian Vettel.

Both Button and his team-mate Lewis Hamilton bagged three victories each, although it took Button until the Canadian GP, round seven of the campaign, to claim his first.

This season he reckons McLaren need a quick start if they hope to beat Red Bull - and that includes being quick in pre-season testing, something they failed to do last year resulting in an almost-complete overhaul of McLaren's 2011 car before the first race weekend.

"Testing is now very important. We've got to come out of the box and be strong," said the 2009 World Champion.
"Testing is what it says on the tin, it's about finding your feet, about gaining in confidence in the team you're working with and the car you're driving.
"We're excited, I'm sure every team is a bit apprehensive when it comes to testing so I can't wait to jump into the car."

Asked during Wednesday's launch of the MP4-27 what he expected from main rivals Red Bull Racing this season, Button conceded that they "will be strong.
"You don't suddenly build a bad car after wining the Championship for two years. We hope they do - but I would be surprised if they do.
"We don't know where we stand, so the important thing is stay focused on what we do, look at the next few weeks and see where we stand then."
As for his thoughts on McLaren's new car, which does not feature the rather ugly boxer nose that Caterham opted for, the 32-year-old said: "This is a beautiful car, which for me is important. Many you see will not be."

source

Yea, everything is the management's fault.

To be serious though: Button is extremely sensitive to incorrect balance of the car. If everything isn't 100% to his liking, he just can't drive it. So he's the exact opposite of Hamilton. The way the tyres are working this year, the changing characteristics of the track over the course of a weekend have a big impact on the car and that often changes the way it works from Friday to Saturday. I think that's the reason he always seems fast on Friday, but then mucks it up on Sunday.
Another explanation is that he doesn't like the new high nose and the lack of the snowplough and can't balance the car properly without them.
Either way, this is between Button and his engineer and has nothing to do with the management.

@Tony Holder, he won't be running for the title this season. He's with.. 45 points.. That's 8th in the driver's championship. That was it for him. Now he'll just have to try to score some points till the end of the season for the constructor's championship.. but nothing more.. he's not there this season. He probably has schumi-luck.

@Tony Holder, he won't be running for the title this season. He's with.. 45 points.. That's 8th in the driver's championship. That was it for him. Now he'll just have to try to score some points till the end of the season for the constructor's championship.. but nothing more.. he's not there this season. He probably has schumi-luck.
With 13 races left, you can't really rule anyone out yet. Yes will be difficult for Button to get up there - but as we have seen anyone can win a race.

Plus, nobody is having worse luck than Schumi.....gotta feel sorry for him!

With 13 races left, you can't really rule anyone out yet. Yes will be difficult for Button to get up there - but as we have seen anyone can win a race.

Plus, nobody is having worse luck than Schumi.....gotta feel sorry for him!

You're right. Everything is possible. Next race may rain, we may have Button winning and vettel/hamilton/alonso finishing out of the points and stuff like this. But he must win 4 more races so he can be with around the same points as them. 7 different winners in 7 races. I don't think he'll be able to make it. I'll be hoping, but I don't think it's gonna be possible.

And yea, Schumi has the worst luck for sure. He finished only 2 of 7 races. Probably he'll go out this year and that will be the last of Schumacher. Too bad.. :(

Jenson was a good Driver and uses his intelligence and Experience. His setup was not so good in these days which he was mostly suffering from. Front locking is most important thing JB never wants
But he was trying to Motivate himself and his team to make his car perfectly balanced then we can clearly see him in podiums
One thing about JB is he doesn't need Top 3 in Qualifying but he can go to Top 3 in race using his Skills easily

I think he is going with Hamilton's setup, and tweak it to suit him. Hamilton is more aggressive than JB. I do think alot of us want JB to switch on and start delivering good solid results!

I don't think it will be much better. Valencia just doesn't suit the McLaren and JB is one of those drivers who simply can't drive the car if it isn't absolutely perfectly set up.
It probably won't be a complete catastrophe like in Canada which resulted from him doing almost no running on Friday, but I still fear that he will end the race at the lower end of the points.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 326 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 459 39.3%