Jenson Button Steps Down from Race Seat - Vandoorne Confirmed at McLaren

I'm super happy. This is a year overdue in my honest opinion, but at least it's finally happened. Vandoorne absolutely dominated GP2 last season in ways no man has ever done before, winning by 160 points! Plus he's already out qualified JB, and he scored points right off the bat in the McLaren. I actually think Vandoorne is one of the best drivers in the world right now. Let's face it, McLaren would've been crazy not to pick him over JB, especially with Nyck De Vries being their only young driver really that's decent enough other than Vandoorne (who's far better)

I want to be sad that JB's gone, but I'm not at all and I hope he doesn't get a drive in 2018. The guy will be 38 when the 2018 season rolls around. Why sign a 38 year old when you could be developing your young talent who are the future of the team. He's had a good run, his 2011 Canadian race was probably one of the greatest performances in Formula One history, plus winning in the Honda in 06, and winning a world title. However he was beginning to overstay his welcome, same with Massa and same with Raikkonen at the moment

Last edited:
Wow, that's actually a genius bit of contractual negotiation. However I fear that Jenson will not get back into a McLaren seat in 2018 unless Stoffel moves elsewhere or gets dropped (which are both highly unlikely), because I'm pretty confident that Alonso will end up very much enjoying next season's regulations.

I feel that both Alonso and Hamilton were too critical of the new regs at the Spa press conference last weekend by saying things that were blatantly untrue (i.e assuming they still won't be able to push and the cars won't be all that much quicker), when Seb Buemi has come out and said that after testing what next years regulations are going to be like, the drivers had better get in the gym quick smart because these cars are going to be monstrous. AND Pirelli have said that they're vastly increasing the temperature operating window for next years tyres, meaning the drivers will be able to push very hard with minimal drop off in performance.

To me it seemed they (Ham & Alo) were intentionally downplaying next seasons regs, and I'm not totally sure why.

I'm very happy for Stoffel though. It's two years overdue, but it's great for F1 that he's finally getting a full-time race seat. :)

Last edited:
Button was the one driver I used to follow, but his FB comments became too much corporate mandatory happyness to bear. I would have enjoyed seeing him in an LMP1 (bonus points if there were a British team, like Aston or Jag or Bentley still around) but to stick with McLaren despite their abysmal performance of the last years... it's more of a sad story than anything else.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 319 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 219 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 161 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 279 13.5%