Jean Eric Vergne interested in IndyCar deal

Verizon IndyCar Series.jpg

After being left out in the cold by F1 and Scuderia Toro Rosso with the announcement of Carlos Sainz Jr, it now seems Vergne wants to turn his back on F1 and pursue a career stateside in Indycar for next year.

Whilst some thought Vergne would try and stay in F1 with a reserve driver role next year, or switch to the World Endurance Championship like what fellow Red Bull junior Sebastien Buemi did, it now seems Vergne wants to continue racing single seaters with a switch to Indycar.

Vergne commented in an interview with Racer magazine "I would be really interest in racing in America in IndyCar; I think it's a great championship, I'm working with a manager who works with a few drivers in America, Julian Jakobi, and at the moment, it seems like it is quite hard to go to a top team right away, but I am very interested to see what type of seats are available."

Vergne also commented on the challenges he would face by joining Indycar "I don't pretend I would win everything, or have an easy time on the ovals; it's a lot to learn coming from Europe, but many European drivers have become quite good on ovals with some experience, and with so many road courses and street races, I know I can be very effective. There aren't so many teams to go to that I can win a championship right away, but this doesn't stop me from looking and talking to team owners to see if we can do something together. I have always loved racing in America, and I have always been very interested in IndyCar. The timing is very good right now to make this happen."

Vergne clearly wants to try and race at the front for wins in the next phase of his career, which rules out a reserve driver role for next year and likely means his options are either a series like Indycar or joining the burgeoning LMP1 class of the World Endurance Championship.

In the same interview Vergne noted his desire to race at the front again in the next phase of his career. He stated "Toro Rosso isn't really a team where you can stay for a long time, even if you beat your team-mates, If I look at what Ricciardo is doing this year and what I'm doing this year, I'm confident I can do the same as him."

He also added "I'm not really bitter to leave Toro Rosso, I have some other options in Formula 1, but I want to get back into a series where I can win races and win championships. My target is to go for the IndyCar championship my first year."

It seems Vergne is happy to join a smaller team and learn his way in his first year, before eventually establishing himself as one of the premier drivers in Indycar over the next few years. This is a brave move for Vergne as he will have to learn the intricacies of oval racing next year, although over the next few years Vergne could become one of the best drivers in the series such is his talent. This move would seem beneficial for Vergne and once again shows the increasing significance of the Indycar series in attracting drivers.

What are your thoughts on this potential move for Vergne?

I always wonder how current IndyCar drivers feel reading such statements. But honest, JEV has the balls to speak about high ambitions. Like it.

Hope he gets a seat next year.
JEV is a strong driver as he has proven in F1, in my opinion he also has the talent to be able to back up his high ambitions.

I must admit, I didn't like JEV when he was first breaking into F1.
I thought he was a cocky little **** with his "I wouldn't have done any worse than Webber if I was driving this year" comments.
But he has been very convincing over the past few years and deserves to stay in the sport.

He's too young to go to Indycar. Its like the F1 graveyard where drivers go before retiring.

He's too young to go to Indycar. Its like the F1 graveyard where drivers go before retiring.

Whaaaaat? :confused:

You mean to tell me Marco Andretti, Ryan Hunter-Reay (Champion), James Hinchcliffe, Carlos Munoz, Jack Hawksworth, Ryan Briscoe, Tony Kanaan (Champion), Scott Dixon (Champion), Charlie Kimball, Carlos Huertas, Mike Conway, Ed Carpenter, Sebastian Saavedra, Graham Rahal, Josef Newgarden, Mikhail Alsehin, Simon Pagenaud, Helio Castroneves (Champion) and William Power (Champion) all raced in F1 before retiring to IndyCar?

I live an breath IndyCar like most people here live and breath F1, so I don't like comments like these one bit. ;)

On a bit more on topic note, it should also be mentioned that JEV is not alone in looking for an IndyCar ride instead of F1. Alxander Rossi has given up on F1, GP3 runner up Dean Stoneman is looking at IndyCar and Davide Valsecchi (GP2 champ from a few years back) is also another guy looking to make the switch.

I agree I think Indycar is definitely a series which is growing in interest in prestige, especially in Europe again amongst drivers as the Road to Indy scheme is a lot more realistic than F1 ATM. I hope the series can continue growing so it can reach a point where it's a prestige worldwide championship again like it was in the mid 1990's.

I agree I think Indycar is definitely a series which is growing in interest in prestige, especially in Europe again amongst drivers as the Road to Indy scheme is a lot more realistic than F1 ATM. I hope the series can continue growing so it can reach a point where it's a prestige worldwide championship again like it was in the mid 1990's.

However, Super Formula* have also gotten a fresh breath now. Fabio Leimer (GP2 2013 winner), Felix Rosenqvist (the Macau GP 2014 winner), Marvin Kirchhöfer (3rd in GP3 this year), Jolyon Palmer (2014 GP2 Winner) and Kamui Kobayashi are going to test/are in talks for a 2015 seat.

*Formely known as Formula Nippon, where drivers like Eddie Irvine, Pedro de la Rosa, Ralf Schumacher, Mika Salo drove full-time, but also a place where Michael Schumacher, Johnny Herbert, Heinz-Harald Frentzen, Roland Ratzenberger, Tom Kristensen, Ralph Firman, Esteban Tuero and Tom Coronel have spent time.

The thing in Japan is that it is easier to live from racing, compared to Europe and US. It's not as lucrative as it was in the 90's, but certainly not bad.

Whaaaaat? :confused:

You mean to tell me Marco Andretti, Ryan Hunter-Reay (Champion), James Hinchcliffe, Carlos Munoz, Jack Hawksworth, Ryan Briscoe, Tony Kanaan (Champion), Scott Dixon (Champion), Charlie Kimball, Carlos Huertas, Mike Conway, Ed Carpenter, Sebastian Saavedra, Graham Rahal, Josef Newgarden, Mikhail Alsehin, Simon Pagenaud, Helio Castroneves (Champion) and William Power (Champion) all raced in F1 before retiring to IndyCar?

No I just mean that the F1 drivers that normally move to Indy are the ones that are slightly passed their prime.

How sad can it be, that you eventually get into F1 and people give up on you so you end somewhere outside the place where you dreamed of since a kid. How difficult that can be, that you eventually must admit perhaps that you are not that good. Or perhaps thats how due to several other things not in our hands, turned out to be all but not good for us at a given moment, given time.

Not related to the subject, but just knowing how much he wanted to keep his place, this occurred to me, which is really sad!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 74 12.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 53 8.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 63 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 36 6.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 90 14.9%