Japanese Grand Prix to Become a Night Race From 2018 (April Fool)

Lol, shame on me, because you got me.

When I read this news, we were hanging around with the family. I told them about it and my wife startet laughing, telling me it's an April Fool joke. My wife!!! What a shame.

Nice one, had me going for a second! I think it works well because, given the current state of F1, it's not way outside of what they might try to pull!

Speaking for myself, Suzuka scares the crap out of me in the broad daylight - can't imagine what it would be like in the dark! :confused:

Do they run 24hr races at Suzuka? I know there are endurance races there, but can't recall the length.

What makes an April Fools joke work is plausibility, and boy did this hit the mark

What makes an April Fools joke work is plausibility, and boy did this hit the mark

But it has to have an element of 'daftness' to it too and this one doesn't really, apart from a significantly underestimated number of floodlights required.

This one was just a bit straight down the middle for me. In the age of the internet, any attempt at an April Fools joke is soon going to get found out, so you may as well go all out on absurdity so at least the readers get a laugh out of it.

Edit - no, I take it back. I like the Honda stuff. That's the kind of thing I mean. Inventive, completely unbelievable but fun to read.

Last edited:
View attachment 243565
Grand Prix chiefs have announced that the Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka will become the fourth race on the calendar held under floodlights.

The Suzuka Circuit has started installing over 230 floodlights around the track in preparation for this season's Japanese Grand Prix, held on 7th October. The race will start at 21:10 local time, aiming for mid-afternoon start times in the European market.

What do you think of this time change? Do you welcome more night races on the calendar, or is it a fad too far? Will Honda make it through their home weekend without reliability issues? Comment down below.

Once again the FIA and the Formula One Group that runs F1 have over complicated everything in the name of technology. Instead of installing all of those floodlights and their wiring, it would have been far easier and cheaper to simply install headlamps on the cars ... or maybe use the HALO divise as a light bar as seen in cars competing in road rallys, and turn OFF all of the flood lights except for those in the pits. IMHO this would make for far more interesting racing.

Once again the FIA and the Formula One Group that runs F1 have over complicated everything in the name of technology. Instead of installing all of those floodlights and their wiring, it would have been far easier and cheaper to simply install headlamps on the cars ... or maybe use the HALO divise as a light bar as seen in cars competing in road rallys, and turn OFF all of the flood lights except for those in the pits. IMHO this would make for far more interesting racing.
That's just plain silly. The night Grand Prix's are lit up well for us to see them. What use would it be watching from a seat there or on TV if all you could see is headlamps? :rolleyes:
Who's an April fool?:roflmao::D

radiation.jpg

Ha this is the April fool bit right? That's enough to light about a quarter of the circuit. Are they going to fit dipped headlights to the halo so they can see their way around the rest of the track?!
The article specifically says "over 230". A number like 721 is definitely over 230 :roflmao:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back