Cars Jaguar XJ13 [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I expect people to find it quite eventful, but not a killer.

But enjoy your Friday 13th with XJ13 responsibly :D And it should be quite eventful and rewarding with both versions.

I'm intrigued that there have been changes which you believe may get some people's undies in a twist.
I'm assuming it means physics changes which make it more tricky to drive. Not spent much time behind the wheel to make a judgement, so far so good anyway. SFX levels more pleasant too.

On the other hand, there do seem to be some odd changes regarding shader settings, fully intentional I''m sure - most evidently a strange lack of fresnel reflections, which results in a lack of contrast and depth between the top and bottom half of the car (same texture, just different shaders below):

Screenshot_jaguar_xj13_ks_silverstone1967_12-4-118-21-40-40.jpg

Below kinda shows the difference between stock shader (top) and more standard shader settings (bottom).
Screenshot_jaguar_xj13_ks_silverstone1967_12-4-118-21-19-44.jpg

Screenshot_jaguar_xj13_ks_silverstone1967_12-4-118-21-21-24.jpg

WvtSARh.png

This is the difference between v 0.97 and yesterday's update.
The old one has deep and luscious paint, like kunos cars and the real XJ13.
The new one looks like the skinner forgot to apply the AO layer. It's very flat, makes the color offensively red and honestly looks unrealistic, it barely looks like gloss paint.

This also depends on CM showroom settings.

AO is there, but fresnel value is slightly lower.

Thats my choice as a modder, and it looks to me more like the real XJ. It is far and far away from gloss paint. Also it is beyond nitpicking IMO.

This also depends on CM showroom settings.

AO is there, but fresnel value is slightly lower.

Thats my choice as a modder, and it looks to me more like the real XJ. It is far and far away from gloss paint. Also it is beyond nitpicking IMO.
but if you use the "standardised" Shader setting this is something you can control with the RGB map texture, while still keeping the standard and making it easier for others to make skins for your car.

Its a gorgeous model, but the current settings don't do it a favour

First of all I don't expect anyone making skins for it, it never happened, and it never would.

Yes Map texture is same as AO just with increased contrast, so it is white, which means that it is already maximum Red and Green and Blue. I could have used more fresnell and less Green and Blue.

Anyway skinners can skip this, first of all it should be British Racing Green, and it British Racing Green again.

UrjsoGG.jpg

RZZJnZx.jpg

wCMjs7C.jpg

Your interpretation of british racing green looks like a black shirt after it's been washed one too many times, the color is washed out.
It also doesn't reflect the sky like the real car (and kunos cars) do. No blue reflections anywhere on the paint in sunny pictures, zero clouds in the last picture.
If this truly is how the XJ13 is supposed to look in AC, then I'm the Queen of England.

UrjsoGG.jpg

RZZJnZx.jpg

wCMjs7C.jpg

Your interpretation of british racing green looks like a black shirt after it's been washed one too many times, the color is washed out.
It also doesn't reflect the sky like the real car (and kunos cars) do. No blue reflections anywhere on the paint in sunny pictures, zero clouds in the last picture.
If this truly is how the XJ13 is supposed to look in AC, then I'm the Queen of England.
You are not the Queen of diplomacy, that's for sure;)

Well you should at least try to have proper FOV, better matching cams positions, lighting..... Then you'd get more accurate pictures....

Also as for reflections, in AC position of the camera has a lot to do with them, you are using only default F5 camera. Which mostly doesn't make justice.

That particular showroom in AC is bad by default. It even looks too reflective there.
I have used second picture when I was modeling.
Third picture perhaps could prove something, but I wouldn't say that it is right either, at least right now, I have to test myself. It looks like waxed there. Kinda weird how extremely darker car looks there IRL.

If you think that my XJ13 is off then at least try to do properly matching pictures. Otherwise just don't use the mod if you think that it is as bad as you make it sound...

Last edited:
UrjsoGG.jpg

RZZJnZx.jpg

wCMjs7C.jpg

May I suggest you reading the last page of the mod request thread? It will maybe give you a better understanding of what modders do for the community for free. As a tip, make your first own mod, so you can estimate the work that goes into a mod like this.
(If you have already modded I don't understand your attitude)

Exactly how much work goes into adjusting the shaders? Can even do that with content manager, just adjust the values for 30 minutes or so and you're set.

I'm fine now thanks to CM, so on a positive note, the model is improved compared to the old one, the sound volume is now lower, at the level of comparable kunos cars, and the physics are as amazing as ever. Overall a nice update.

The nitpicking is crazy, to be honest the further this mod gets developed the worse it gets if it would be judged by the responses of community.

I am not saying that my car paint fresnelC parameter or some others which has effect on reflectivity (and there are few more, fresnel max, fresnelEXP and specularityEXP also somehow has an effect) are perfect but come on... I am paying more attention on it right now, I could agree that it could possibly lack just a little bit, but I would be happy with it as it is too. If you would take this seriously you would find out that it is not too difficult to get a shader for a single situation to look properly, but it takes tons of input to get it to work in all situations decently, and I have never used shader settings of other mods or Kunos cars.

You can't say that you topped my shader setting which I have spent lots of time on if you possibly improved one thing which was bothering you. I also have 1000 other things which needs focus.

And sometimes in reality car seems to be less sky reflective.
66-Jagauar-XJ13-DV-10-AI-01-800.jpg

I am glad that you at least like the physics, thats much more important to me than having a model "accepted".

I have played with CM shaders also, I can see tiny bit of room to get fresnelC up to 0.03 from 0.02, maybe fresnel expt down from 5.5 to 5.0, and perhaps fresnelEXP up from 0.18 to 0.25. Or something in that window.

Worth to mention that in showrooms rendering is not exactly the same like in game, especially in CM showroom.

The nitpicking is crazy, to be honest the further this mod gets developed the worse it gets if it would be judged by the responses of community.
you just need to learn to differentiate between nitpicking and constructive criticism. Of course, the further you go, the closer you get to "1.0", the more criticism you will get.

There's a number of people telling you the same "hey man, this is wrong", and all you do is say "NO", so people come back with support for their opinion (@Mirta27).
If people were ungrateful and ignorant for the modding community, they wouldn't care, change all the stuff in CM for their own enjoyment and keep quiet. But apparently they do not, people care for your car and its representation, live with it, appreciate the help and criticism you get, feel lucky that you get it at all.

You're posting about emotional intellect and how "consumers" lack it, but there is always two sides to that coin, you as a creator need to learn to live with the response you get

Frankly, I feel empty by now.

If thats how it is supposed to be then it is over.

I have no problem with criticism, but with the way it is brought. And it is brought poorly.

Also there are stabs in community, that everyone are following by now. You could find 1K more issues in the model if you go very picky, and all of them will be very tiny. Then you can humiliate the creator by pointing for each one, or one of them, and say that it is criticism.

Also modding by now is terribly biased towards the modeling. I don't see that having any good effects for simulation essence in future, hell it is happening already.

And to make a final point this is for free remember ? But it really doesn't matter if it is for free or not, does it ? I don't think so. It is cultural thing now... not to enjoy, but a find a reason not to enjoy.

Whats the point continuing with all this.

Last edited:
Frankly, I feel empty by now.

If thats how it is supposed to be then it is over.

I have no problem with criticism, but with the way it is brought. And it is brought poorly.
someone spending time finding photos, then compiling screenshots from the same perspective ingame is poorly?

Or rather, what would not be poorly in your opinion?

someone spending time finding photos, then compiling screenshots from the same perspective ingame is poorly?

Or rather, what would not be poorly in your opinion?
I think what @mantasig criticises is the attitude of the criticizing person towards the modder

Yes, I feel like everyone can argue, why must I just agree. This is not a stupid TV show where some mediocore artsists are giving pass/go to other mediocore artists. XXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 336 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 228 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 171 7.9%