Jaguar D-Type @ Hilltop - Thu 4th October 2012

flyer1genlm55.png

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GTL
Class: LM55 Jaguar D-Type ( V1.0 + Update + Collision fix + Mirror Fix )
Track: Hilltop Club Circuit ( Download )

-------------Race 1: D-Type 55' -------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 19.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 19.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 19.30 ( 14 laps)
-------------Race 2: D-Type 57' -------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 20.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 20.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.30 ( 14 laps)

Note 1: Only use skins that come with the mod.
Note 2: Race 1: 1955 D-Type / Race 2: 1957 D-Type
Note 3: We are using the SIMBIN lobby for this event. See here how to switch lobby
Note 4: Jaguar D-Type Mod install:
1. Install version 1.0​
2. Install Update​
3. Install Collision Fix​
4. Extract the Mirror Fix and put in this folder Gamedata/Teams/LM55/Jaguar D-Type​
5. Go to Gamedata/Teams/LM55 and delete the old folder "Jaguar type D" (keep the new folder named "Jaguar D-Type")​

Server password: click here
Racing rules: click here

Entry List:
  1. Knut Omdal Tveito
  2. Senad Subasic
  3. Rupe Wilson
  4. Warren Dawes
  5. Konstantin Paul
  6. Hans Sneep
  7. Bob Hutchins
  8. Stuart Thomson
  9. Jacob Boonstra
  10. Eck Simpson
  11. Driver
  12. Driver
  13. Driver
  14. Driver
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Driver
Rules:
This is being held in our Club, using Club Rules, and should be driven in that spirit.

[EDIT]I know I should have started earlier, but I've spent the last 45 mins. trying to get myself registered at this Altbierbude website.. unfortunately without success..
Nevermind, I got it to work.. A bit too late to come in cold though.[/EDIT]

Back in the old days the necessary mod content was always hosted here at RD. Any chance of those days coming back in the future?

You guys have a good one! I'll read about it later :) be there for R2

Back in the old days the necessary mod content was always hosted here at RD. Any chance of those days coming back in the future?
If we can host it (some people put "only host at x, y or z site"), we will, yes.

The downloads has been down for a long time, then when it came back it was really buggy, but now it looks better, so yes, you'll see more stuff coming here.

That was heaps of fun, great car, great track, good company :D .

This Jaaaaag is quite different to the "usual" GTL cars, if there is such a thing as usual in GTL. The best preparation / training for this event would have been a refresher course through the Richard Burns Rally School, drifting was the order of the day, even if you tried to avoid it. :p

I really enjoyed driving behind cars, the view of sideways Jaaaags was a pleasure. The sound of these old classics was impressive too, especially when you had a bunch of them together.

I had a small distraction, having a boa constrictor (BP Monitor) attached to my arm, and not knowing when it would activate. So I started both races from the back, in case I did anything nasty in a tight bunch. Knut decided to keep me company, so we had many laps together early on.
Hard to remember all of the highlights, but I know I had some good racing with Jacob, Hans, Knut, Roland, Senad, and Bob at various times through both races. :) I watched Hans do some very impressive sideways drifts through that long downhill lefthander, but unfortunately he occasionally drifted too far onto the green stuff. :laugh: ( a popular maneuver there though).

Grats to Stuart for the double win, and Rupe for the double runner up, you two guys look like you would fit nicely in RBR. Senad and I managed to use our RBR experience to sneak a podium each too. ;)
The Race 2 battle between Stuart and Rupe looked to be a cracker, nicely done guys.

Big thanks to Knut for unveiling the D-Type and the choice of track was perfect. :thumbsup:
Thanks to all who joined, hopefully you had as much fun as I did. :cool:

OK, so here's the deal - I really don't like cars that are too slidey, despite the results last night. Pretty much everything I did to my car, both setup and driving, was to try and alleviate all that sideways nonsense. It seemed to work well enough for me.

Quallied in P2 in the '55 car and got a good start, into T1 in first and from there it was pretty much a case of "don't drop it" and I slowly pulled away. I could see a Rupe & Senad battle behind me which looked a right old giggle - I think they were holding each other up a little bit because I managed to get home unmolested with a decent time cushion behind me.

I think I ended up Qualifying in P4 for R2, and another decent start got me into P1 again (I think). Had a bit of a "woah there" moment going into the slow last corner, not a full on spin, but a drift wide onto the grass. Managed to hold it and avoid any impacts - probably due to the low speeds involved, emerging back onto the track behind Eck and Rupe. Eck had his own turmoil a couple of laps later, but unfortunately for him, it was on the high speed T1, so he had to take extreme avoiding action to prevent coming to a sudden arborial halt, which left me to follow the flying Rupe. It was a slow process catching him up, as he was driving beautifully. The XD deltas were showing me where I was catching him, and so I just pressed on and waited my time. I finally got in front on about the 10th lap when Rupe had a little wobble, but he recovered immediately and was all over me, so I had to be mindful of my lines. On the penultimate lap I braked a little late into the long downhill left hander leading down to the pits, and Rupe was right on me, taking P1.
I managed to switch it back through the following tight right hander and got good drive along the pit wall section to take the lead back again, which I held to the end for a second win.

Excellent racing there Rupe, and I'm honoured if we helped to lighten the load a little bit.

This promised to be an interesting one from the moment Knut announced it, with the comments and Warrens vid adding to the suspense:) . Didn't expect to be home in time to make it though, so when I actually did I was ill-prepared, as in unable to DL the track from Altbierbude. Got it sorted eventually and made it in time to do a quick few test laps before joining for R2.

That race was very, very good fun. And I saw some people going very, very sideways indeed. Not sure if I did that as well, but my preferred strategy to make it through the corners was just going really slow:D, as various people found out when they got stuck behind me through the Essessesses.
Default setup worked quite OK for me, as quite a good start and no offroading until late in the race kept me in the top-5 for a long long time. The race leaders were much much quicker though :confused: and my corner entry speed was slower than everyone else's:p .

It was really great fun too, and I can only agree that this car + track combo was a really really great match!:thumbsup: Made me feel really stupid for missing the first race :(
Note to self: from now on I'll make sure to get all the DL stuff needed for every club event, regardless if I'll be home that day or not!

Thanks Knut for a really good one, and all others for racing,. Grats Stuart, Rupe and the RBR boys:D for podium finishes. And Rupe, I couldn't phrase my thoughts any better than Stu just did there...

OK, so here's the deal - I really don't like cars that are too slidey, despite the results last night. Pretty much everything I did to my car, both setup and driving, was to try and alleviate all that sideways nonsense. It seemed to work well enough for me.
It's the controllability (don't think that's actually a word) of the car for me. I know what it's doing and why it's doing it, and I know what will happen if I change the input. Just a fun, relaxing experience. Getting the perfect sequence of slides through the turns is the cherry on the top.

Reminded me of the Vintage in netKar Pro. Not a bad thing :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years