Jaggies and AA

I have to say that Wreckfest looks fairly poor on my system in terms of lack of effective AA (jaggies). I have all the settings in-game maxxed-out and have tried the following:

NVIDIA Control Panel Supersampling (4x)
NVIDIA Inspector settings (including trying to force SGSS - I know unlikely to work!)
DSR @ 4K resolution

None of these makes the slightest difference to the image quality. I think I can detect slower frame rates @ 4K, but any loss is not made-up with a smoother image, so I haven't continued with that.

Are the only settings that work those that are in-game? How do you get the equivalent of DX9-style SGSS or SS smoothness in this game?

I have to say that Wreckfest looks fairly poor on my system in terms of lack of effective AA (jaggies). I have all the settings in-game maxxed-out and have tried the following:

NVIDIA Control Panel Supersampling (4x)
NVIDIA Inspector settings (including trying to force SGSS - I know unlikely to work!)
DSR @ 4K resolution

None of these makes the slightest difference to the image quality. I think I can detect slower frame rates @ 4K, but any loss is not made-up with a smoother image, so I haven't continued with that.

Are the only settings that work those that are in-game? How do you get the equivalent of DX9-style SGSS or SS smoothness in this game?
I'll test this on Monday again but I used SGSSAA with this game since I've bought it.
Didn't run it for about 2 months though so maybe some of the latest updates killed it.

You should set ingame aa to 4x msaa, then go into inspector and put this for the anti aliasing bit:
0x000412C1
The settings to overwrite game settings.

4x msaa + 4x sgss. Transparency to disabled and it should just work...

However there's a bug with the vram then. 3-4 races and you'll hit above 8gb vram. Didn't slow down my fps though...
Nvidia inspector bit list for AA, ambient occlusion and sli:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...xBXoEfDuaDiiP--H4BJ-U/htmlview#gid=1911323755

The VRAM bug is if you use those settings? I used to get that (and the game looked better back then). Now I do not get it, post-major game update and driver updates, etc. I am guessing I used to have those Inspector settings and now do not...

The VRAM bug is if you use those settings? I used to get that (and the game looked better back then). Now I do not get it, post-major game update and driver updates, etc. I am guessing I used to have those Inspector settings and now do not...
Inspector settings stay mostly the same after driver updates but these important compatibility bits get deleted and set to Nvidia defaults!
So put the anti aliasing bit to the one I posted and it should be working.

Inspector settings stay mostly the same after driver updates but these important compatibility bits get deleted and set to Nvidia defaults!
So put the anti aliasing bit to the one I posted and it should be working.

OK...odd result. I put in the settings as above and voila, the horrid AA was gone and back to lovely visuals (as I had before I did the updating). Except, I can't even finish loading a single track (multiplayer is all I tried) before getting the memory errors.

I switched the 4xSGSS to 4xSS thinking maybe the SG was causing the problem--no difference.

Before I go on a goose chase, I am 100% certain that I did not have a bit for AA prior--I just made up a profile myself (I used SGSS as I typically do). Then, I would be able to play multiple rounds of track sessions before getting the memory error. Should I try using no bit? I had to put that one in manually because it was not in the list? Are you sure that's the right bit code?

I am so annoyed now because I realize the great visuals are a possibility, but I cannot use them at all and even if fixed, may have to accept the extremely unfortunate memory errors. Why can't all devs be like Reiza and just build in options for SGSS and SS right into the native graphics config!?!?! The image quality results of the "maximum-quality" in-game settings in Wreckfest are a joke.

Thanks for your help, though! You nailed it.

OK...odd result. I put in the settings as above and voila, the horrid AA was gone and back to lovely visuals (as I had before I did the updating). Except, I can't even finish loading a single track (multiplayer is all I tried) before getting the memory errors.

I switched the 4xSGSS to 4xSS thinking maybe the SG was causing the problem--no difference.

Before I go on a goose chase, I am 100% certain that I did not have a bit for AA prior--I just made up a profile myself (I used SGSS as I typically do). Then, I would be able to play multiple rounds of track sessions before getting the memory error. Should I try using no bit? I had to put that one in manually because it was not in the list? Are you sure that's the right bit code?

I am so annoyed now because I realize the great visuals are a possibility, but I cannot use them at all and even if fixed, may have to accept the extremely unfortunate memory errors. Why can't all devs be like Reiza and just build in options for SGSS and SS right into the native graphics config!?!?! The image quality results of the "maximum-quality" in-game settings in Wreckfest are a joke.

Thanks for your help, though! You nailed it.
What list do you mean? Next car game: wreckfest is in the linked Google sheet and I copied the bit from there :)
Weird though is, that you can't play with it. I mean I get the memory leak but there's no real problem about it. Fps stay the same and everything works normally.
What kind of error do you get? Maybe your pagefile is too small?
I'm not really sure what happens when the vram gets exceeded.. Whether the normal ram or the pagefile is used then but I never had a real error!

About reiza: they can't do it either. For windows 10 you have to either play in windowed mode (which is a mess for gsync, freesync or certain settings with/without vsync) or you have to type in a custom bit too to have sgss in fullscreen mode.

But yeah I'm very sure you had to use a bit beforehand too. I know I had to use it... And it's the only thing that would make sense if you didn't change anything else in the inspector when the jaggies appeared.

What list do you mean? Next car game: wreckfest is in the linked Google sheet and I copied the bit from there :)
Weird though is, that you can't play with it. I mean I get the memory leak but there's no real problem about it. Fps stay the same and everything works normally.
What kind of error do you get? Maybe your pagefile is too small?
I'm not really sure what happens when the vram gets exceeded.. Whether the normal ram or the pagefile is used then but I never had a real error!

About reiza: they can't do it either. For windows 10 you have to either play in windowed mode (which is a mess for gsync, freesync or certain settings with/without vsync) or you have to type in a custom bit too to have sgss in fullscreen mode.

But yeah I'm very sure you had to use a bit beforehand too. I know I had to use it... And it's the only thing that would make sense if you didn't change anything else in the inspector when the jaggies appeared.

I did not use the bit previously. And to prove that I am too dumb to use it or know where to look for it, I discovered the cause of my crashing :) I had put the bit in the wrong line: AA Behavior Flag instead of AA Compatibility! Now that I moved it to the correct slot, everything is working and I played 6 or 7 MP sessions in a row with no crash (exited before any occurred, so not sure how long it can go).

Since I have a 144 Hz monitor, I am willing to live with Windowed mode. But yes, you are also correct that the Reiza approach has its limitations. It's good enough for me and if Wreckfest had the same, I wouldn't need to fiddle with Inspector or all these arcane settings. You'd assume the devs would prefer that over the two alternatives: people mucking things up and causing crashes that they will assume are the game, or, the vast silent majority looking at sub-par image quality.

FYI, I switched to full SS (instead of SGSS) in Inspector because even with SS there are annoying digital artifacts. But the important part is that I have not experienced the memory crash, so I suspect it was SGSS-related. I was using SGSS all along previously when I used to get the crash. No AA Bit before and now I use one...that could also explain it.

Who has compared DSR via Control Panel with Inspector? Maybe it will look exactly the same, but skip all the Inspector hassle?

FYI, I switched to full SS (instead of SGSS) in Inspector because even with SS there are annoying digital artifacts. But the important part is that I have not experienced the memory crash, so I suspect it was SGSS-related. I was using SGSS all along previously when I used to get the crash. No AA Bit before and now I use one...that could also explain it.

Who has compared DSR via Control Panel with Inspector? Maybe it will look exactly the same, but skip all the Inspector hassle?
For me the normal super sampling doesn't do anything. Same jaggies as without SS.
Dsr... I don't really like it. For me it either has almost no effect or kills my gpu when I go too high.
I could set it to maximum smoothing and sharpen it again but since I don't have the memory crash bug, I simply use 2x sgss.

Still wondering why it crashes for you. Can you take a screen shot of your inspector settings?

For me the normal super sampling doesn't do anything. Same jaggies as without SS.
Dsr... I don't really like it. For me it either has almost no effect or kills my gpu when I go too high.
I could set it to maximum smoothing and sharpen it again but since I don't have the memory crash bug, I simply use 2x sgss.

Still wondering why it crashes for you. Can you take a screen shot of your inspector settings?

Well, first I will revert to SGSS and see if I get crashes predictably (as before). I also find that SGSS introduces some strange transparency issues under certain circumstances (distance, lighting, ???). But let me try it again because I agree that the SS or DSR is not working the way one would expect (i.e., IQ is poor relative to the settings).

Also, did you mean 2xSGSS or 4x as mentioned above. I know there is some magic formula to keep settings compatible. And does LOD Bias have to be aligned also? And does it matter if Enhance or Override is used? (I assume enhance since you talked about the in-game setting of 4x above, too.) Let's make sure we can compare apples and oranges :)

May I also ask is there a FPS counter in the game? That might help to figure some of this out, too.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 90 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing