It's Official ... I'm back at it again ... sort of ...

Been 3 years since I last played with BTB (Using v7.0.6) - Is the newer updates any better and worth the hassle to learn? The only thing that I would be greatly interested in would be a "terrain" editing improvement.

I am comfortable with my version and it seems to me something got broke between my version and the 8 series.
(I am curious with the latest eta - ut with all the stuff I read about being only able to use it for a month - upsets me and Piddy has been missing for so long it makes me concerned)

And so ... now it begins .... my first remake .... Bark River 2012

barkriver2012n1.jpg

And just to make it more interesting ... I found a topographic map of the area ...

barkrivertopo.jpg

barkriver2012n1topo.jpg

Get the regular version, not beta to continue your project. Get the beta for finishing touches since you can't use beta files in regular version.. There's not that much to relearn, afaik, between 0.7.x - 0.8.x Icons mostly.

are the differences between 8.0.3 and the version I currently have installed, have that big of improvements? I like my version as it is pretty stable IMHO. The new beta is only good for a month and no way to renew time (as far as I have read), that and Piddy has not been around much lately ... so, I don't know what to think about v8.9.1

Can the Beta import "Current" projects and export into rFactor?

The AIW seems to be better between v0.8.0.3 to v0.7.0.6 & I think there's also some improvements in the cross-sectioning tool as well & possibly the terrain tool as well...
There are some video clips available on the BTB site which show the 'new' features of 0.8.0.6...
I do prefer it myself & Im avoiding the beta until it finally is fixed....
v0.8.0.3 has not given me any troubles to speak of really, just the usual things that a noob would run into
Yes the beta can import current projects but they then can no longer go back into earlier versions from what I have read :(

Things that make you go ... Hummmmmmm ...

The AIW is not a biggie with me as I remake it anyway. The cross sectioning, I am somewhat interested, but usually I have to make adjustments in 3dSimed anyway, so not a big deal ...

Think I'll just stick with my current for this track ... I know what it does and not in the mood to experiment ... If Piddy was more active, I would consider upgrading ... but, I don't know how long I will last till my next burn out ...

OK, finally after having to modify and create a new set of surface textures (Xpack) that would fit closer to my aerial image ( which I will also blend into the terrain like I did with Crandonesque)

Here is what I decided to settle with ...

barkriverbtb4.png

This track will have 9 different surface types ...

barkriverbtb4a.png

(Grid is 10m x 10m layout - background image was 25m scaled aerial)

barkriverbtb4b.png

barkriverbtb4c.png

Next step ... adjusting the Track Width ...

Step 6 completed ... I'm happy with the way this track is progressing ...

barkriverbtb6.png

And the initial export into rfactor for elevation testing ...

barkriverbtb6a.png

Once satisfied, then the banking, berms, and terrain construction begins ... yuk!

The track just keeps getting MESHier!
it's important to have a well made mesh in order to have a good looking terrain, I like to think in terms of a topographical map layout, in the areas with major elevation work. It takes time and effort. And I prefer to dull my polys into place and noot use the Fill feature.

Still have a few areas I need to do some polyGONE clean-up work ... But, I am almost finally satisfied with the terrain ... ALMOST ...

brmesh15.png

brmesh16.png

Then, I need to think about proper textures for banners ... and find me some Tombstones for 'Cemetery Turn' (those will have to be added in SimEd) ... actually the finalization of the track will happen in SimEd ...

Here is a few snapshots of the current updates

rfactor2012111223493487.jpg

rfactor2012111223494098.jpg

rfactor2012111223495306.jpg

rfactor2012111223500454.jpg

rfactor2012111223501862.jpg

rfactor2012111223504600.jpg

rfactor2012111223504700.jpg

Just curious DDawg, will you later be adding horizontal randomness to the track edges to try & mask that clean smooth edge between it & the terrain?
With such a small track I'd personally be leaving the poly's in...
At least they're evenly paced & quite neat & it also helps keep such a nice smooth terrain too! ;-)
Besides, if you have a look at the 'Zaxxon method' computer generated terrain, it looks quite similar to your mesh & Ive seen that working fine in rF with larger tracks/terrain mappings...
It's all looking good so far, better than I could do...:thumbsup:

(My favorite pic', besides of your terrain mesh, is that one of the drainage ditch 3 up from here...:cool:)

I was not aware that it was possible to do tracks and terrain in this way. I've been struggling with BTB and never been a fan of it due to the fact that I can't ever get terrain to do what I want it to, especially with texturing. I always just add terrain to the track on either side but there is clearly a better method at work here.

If you could please explain what's happening or point me in the direction of a decent tutorial I would be forever in your debt

Just curious DDawg, will you later be adding horizontal randomness to the track edges to try & mask that clean smooth edge between it & the terrain?

Yes - the last action I do before exiting my terrain editor for the final time. Too many times in the past I have done stuff like that and 'ruined' my terrain and had to redo,or refer back to a earlier save ... so that is last action.

As far as Polys go ... I always strive on the side of "less polygons is better", attempting not to compromise the look I an after (But I am lazy and sometimes ... I just don't want to deal with the clean-up).

I am not familiar with the "Zaxxon Method", But I am not a fan of "Computer AUTO" Anything ... (this usually means ... more user intervention and correction later) ... If the Computer does it, you lose tract of what is going on, and can you loose the "feel" of what your trying to accomplish with your terrain. IMHO.

I was not aware that it was possible to do tracks and terrain in this way. I've been struggling with BTB and never been a fan of it due to the fact that I can't ever get terrain to do what I want it to, especially with texturing. I always just add terrain to the track on either side but there is clearly a better method at work here.

If you could please explain what's happening or point me in the direction of a decent tutorial I would be forever in your debt

Sorry, texturing is a "BLACK ART" ....:devilish: [joking]

All I did, is use the BLENDING feature of BTB. Piddy has a few tutorial videos posted on his BTB website worth watching.

I simply found myself a good aerial view of the background I wanted to use - and a lot of cutting and pasting in my 'photoshop editor' to get a image that I was happy with, then 'create' it into a DDS format (keep in mind that you 'must' use the proper size dimensions, or you will have issues later)

As far as the road textures - that is on you, I created and modified my own textures to use. This is to get me close during the BTB phase of the creation. Once I am done with BTB and export it for the final time, then the real fun begins ... I fine tune and resolve all remaining issues using 3dSimEd. I wish I was skilled and rich to afford 3dsMax - then I could really get 'creative'.

"Texturing" is all just a matter of 'how much effort you wish to devote' into your project.

I have 'created' more than one track ... it all comes from building upon the stuff you learned from the track before ... and applying it to the 'next' track.

That, and if I seen a track I like, I open it up in SimED and study it to see what tricks were used that I may learn from ... I always investigate "new methods" of doing things ... just to know ... being able to duplicate it is another story ...

Well, I think I am Finally finished with the BTB Phase of the Build ...
barkriverbtb9.png

NOTE: the candy-striped walls do not remain, nor do the cars in the pit road. The cars are to give me a general position when I am in the AIW editor to place the Pit Stalls, and the walls are to help Identify the track Corridors during the AIW creation. Both will be removed (remarked out) after the AIW is created and I am finished.

Here is a few screenies to see what it looks like after export ... the next time you see it I will have started refinements in 3dSimEd and did some texturing touch-up and renaming of Materials to create my Custom "TDF" ...

rfactor2012111716443464.jpg

rfactor2012111716480232.jpg

rfactor2012111716492114.jpg

rfactor2012111716492265.jpg

rfactor2012111716493059.jpg

rfactor2012111716493278.jpg

rfactor2012111716493734.jpg

rfactor2012111716494693.jpg

rfactor2012111716500935.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes