It's actually quite liberating to have limited content

As a quite committed Assetto Corsa player with over 500 hours of (mainly online) play under my belt, I read with interest the press releases around the new 'Competizione' title.

One of the first things that struck me was the limit Kunos were immediately placing on the amount of content - cars and tracks - that would be available in the game.

One series, no mods.

As something of a collector of mods, good and bad, for Assetto Corsa - especially old 80s and 90s F1 cars - this struck me as something of a potential issue.

I tried to think of what the original Assetto Corsa would have been like without all those mods. Would it have been boring without them? The answer, when it dawned on me, came as a bit of a surprise.

I don't know.

I don't know, because I haven't actually driven more than 2 laps with some of the stock cars in AC. And I probably haven't driven most of the cars that were in the DLC.

With such choice, such quantity, available to choose from, it was always difficult to actually make a choice. And when I did make a choice, 3 laps in I'd start thinking about the 100 cars / tracks I didn't choose, get distracted, crash, then go and pick something else.

Rinse and repeat.

So, having waded through all that content, good and bad, for the last 4 years, what I actually LOVE about Competizione is the far more restricted choice.

I have no guilt about driving 10 online races in a row using the BMW. I have no guilt about trawling various websites of questionable morals in case I've missed a better version of the Abu Dhabi F1 track which I'll never actually get around to driving.

And my driving skills appear to have improved far more in the few weeks I've been driving ACC than in the years I drove AC.

Being forced to drive the same car on the same tracks means I'm getting far more consistent practise.

Modded content can, of course, be of the highest quality and provide experiences that we otherwise would never have. I'll be eternally grateful for countless hours of work from so many individuals that put me in my favourite F1 cars of all time. The Jordan 191. The Williams FW14. And in VR too. The closest I will ever be to actually sitting in those cars.

But now, it's time for all those cars to get locked away in their fancy showrooms, polish the bodywork, shine the tyres and put them on display. Museum pieces from a different era. My racing is focused now.

And I'm becoming a faster, more consistent, more competitive driver for it.

Same for me actually!
I have so much awesome content in assetto corsa but due to mainly being an online racer who doesn't practice a lot I stick with some few cars I like. Meaning I only used these cars across all Sims:
- tatuus F4
- mclaren 650s + 720s GT3
- Lamborghini gt3
- Porsche gt4
- Mazda mx-5
- BMW 235i racing
- abarth 500/mini cooper/btcc mod

Now with acc I actually change the car more often, it's a lot easier to check them out one after another for each track. The field is a lot more consistent! Each car has its own character but in ac1 you basically need to learn how to drive again if you change from the mclaren gt3 to the lambo! In rf2 the amg is broken, in raceroom the top speeds are very different and the controllable rear wing level is too.

In acc you can just jump from one car into another. The base setups are all pretty similar! You won't be extremely fast with each but you can at least drive safely at a normal pace.

In the end, when all cars will be released, I will actually have "more choice" than in the other sims, lol.

But I'm also a gt3 class lover. Formula cars are too light and quick and require very fast reflexes. Gt4 mostly feels heavy and slow and the slower categories are just not exciting most of the times.

That said, I also love to have the choice. But for my "main competitive sim", which acc might be in the near future, I don't need to drive a different category every week. But a different car to choose from and easily adapt to it is awesome :)

Same here.
I really liked the idea of them releasing one track and one car at a time. It has forced me to play and learn tracks and cars I probably never would have if they all came out at the same time.

Last edited:
In the same boat here too. I always run a few races in my Lambo before getting the urge to jump in the 488, or the Bentley etc.
The tracks are really well done and the racing online very close. With the safety rating servers it's actually getting nice and polite out there. Fair and hard racing.
Once the new content arrives we'll actually be more spoilt for choice than ever. More tracks to learn well and a bunch of new cars to try out.
This could easily be my new sim of choice for the foreseeable future.
And, if they end up adding Blancpain USA and Asia as downloadable content, or GT4, Lamborghini Super Trofeo etc, then I'm all up for it with wallet ready and open.

It's reassuring that I'm not the only one who thinks the AMG is broken in rf2.

I can't wait to drive the AMG in ACC but I have to admit I've been using the Audi more and more in AC and I'm actually faster. It suits my style. May have to switch preferences. I'm Gt3 all the way. I no longer find time to race any other car types.
I've been racing mostly in the Lamb but really looking forward to the new cars too. GT3 all the way for me. When I sit down for the brief hour or so I may get in the morning or evenings I just want to jump in to a server with a quick car of the same spec and BoP and have a good race. ACC is giving me that already so who knows how much better it will be in just 5 days time with all the extra content and potentially more players too.

It's interesting. I was indifferent about the GT3 cars in AC, they didn't appeal much. I have some of the s397 GT3 cars in rF2 but never got along with them at all.

So I was a bit sceptical about whether I'd like ACC at all, but as it turns out I love it.

The FFB seems far more communicative to me (Thrustmaster T300GTE) and it's been a much ore rounded driving experience.

It's interesting. I was indifferent about the GT3 cars in AC, they didn't appeal much. I have some of the s397 GT3 cars in rF2 but never got along with them at all.

So I was a bit sceptical about whether I'd like ACC at all, but as it turns out I love it.

The FFB seems far more communicative to me (Thrustmaster T300GTE) and it's been a much ore rounded driving experience.
I have the same wheel. Maybe you could pm me your settings please? I like how it feels now but I'm always looking.

Couldn't agree more with the OP, Early Access has been a fun ride. Like getting a lovely gift to unwrap once every few weeks rather than getting the mother-lode on Christmas Day. It helps that every track and every car has been beautifully crafted though. The cars all share similarities and have very usable stock setups (thank you, thank you, thank you) but they're all distinct from one another. And the tracks are the definitive versions of them so far. I hate Monza in every other sim, but it's great in ACC. Zolder is even better.

That said, I am very excited indeed for 1.0. Bring on the AMG round Brands :)

No, you dont understand. You dont go to Mcdonalds and select all burgers. You have so many options because this make easier to Mcdonalds find all consumers. There are options for who likes bacons and who doesnt. There are options for who likes chicken and for who likes fish.

It is hard to go to Mcdonalds and dont find an option. You dont have to taste all burgers, you eat just what you like.

A sim racing with only 1 option, GT3 cars in this cas, it is like to go a Mcdonalds and have only 1 option, like for example, Big Mac. Dont like Big Mac? Them, go to the Burger King and they offer more options.

You dont have to drive all the cars from Assetto Corsa. But, if you like F1, you have options from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 2000s and 2010s, if you like road cars, you have options like the Miata and have hypercars like La Ferrari and Mclaren P1 too. Do you like vintage race cars lke GT40? Or do you prefer modern race cars like GT3?

It is hard not find a car you like on Assetto Corsa. But, on Competiozione is very easy to find people who will not like any car. This is will be a problem with sales.

@Trezoitao38 I would go as far and say that ACC potentially attracts a different crowd compared to AC (and R3E, rF2, AM...).

If you want max flexibility with cars, championships, tracks, rules....ACC is not your sim. There are other sims out there just doing that and very well I have to say.

I wanted an elaborate representation of just one championship ever since ADAC GT Masters was released in R3E years ago (but came a bit short in my opinion).
So far not one sim came as close as ACC ... and with the full version, championship mode, career and so on it will be as good as I hope it to be.

And I have to repeat myself, I completely agree with the OP. I even discovered just recently that after the Ferrari, then Nissan now the BMW might be much more suited to my driving style. In R3E I never touched the BMW, because other options were readily available and more obvious choices (maybe wrong in hindsight).
Also now I managed to even get a good feeling on Paul Ricard and Misano, which I hated before ACC. And I think this is mostly attributed to me trying explore the early access version more thoroughly due to limited availability of options.

No, you dont understand. You dont go to Mcdonalds and select all burgers. You have so many options because this make easier to Mcdonalds find all consumers. There are options for who likes bacons and who doesnt. There are options for who likes chicken and for who likes fish.

It is hard to go to Mcdonalds and dont find an option. You dont have to taste all burgers, you eat just what you like.

A sim racing with only 1 option, GT3 cars in this cas, it is like to go a Mcdonalds and have only 1 option, like for example, Big Mac. Dont like Big Mac? Them, go to the Burger King and they offer more options.

You dont have to drive all the cars from Assetto Corsa. But, if you like F1, you have options from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 2000s and 2010s, if you like road cars, you have options like the Miata and have hypercars like La Ferrari and Mclaren P1 too. Do you like vintage race cars lke GT40? Or do you prefer modern race cars like GT3?

It is hard not find a car you like on Assetto Corsa. But, on Competiozione is very easy to find people who will not like any car. This is will be a problem with sales.

I don't agree.
Looking at your way of describing it then ACC is McD with all the options (different cars, tracks, burgers, chicken etc), but its STILL McD (still ACC).

My favorite car from Assetto Corsa is Lotus 98t. Am I would like to have a F1 1986 season focused racing sim? This is obvious, I would love it. But if you think about that for a second, them we need too many sims focused to please everyone and that is not possible.

It is obvious who prefer GT3 cars will love Competizione. And the rest? And the people who hates these cars?

Lets see the number sales tomorrow and how will be compared to the original Assetto Corsa.

My favorite car from Assetto Corsa is Lotus 98t. Am I would like to have a F1 1986 season focused racing sim? This is obvious, I would love it. But if you think about that for a second, them we need too many sims focused to please everyone and that is not possible.

It is obvious who prefer GT3 cars will love Competizione. And the rest? And the people who hates these cars?

Lets see the number sales tomorrow and how will be compared to the original Assetto Corsa.
You are correct. We will see. AC also got big because people love mods. I may be the odd one here. ;-)

Other championships could be done as DLC or as separate games with same framework. As GT3 is THE thing at the moment, the possibility that you will attract the biggest crowd with that is pretty high. Especially since they feature the game/sim at the racing venues.
With the whole Blancpain GT universe being this big at the moment, maybe ACC was also an obvious choice for Kunos?
[EDIT] Maybe licensing a class of cars is also easier with a big backer like Blancpain than for other developers trying to get them one by one?

Not so sure on popularity of 80's F1 cars. Maybe it would be more obvious for a DLC for the current F1 game? Don't get me wrong, I also love to race some vintage metal from time to time, maybe not open wheelers though.

This isn't about multiple choices... this is what a lot of people in the sim racing community were asking for. A single make series, executed to the highest standard, solid online with ratings and an offline single player championship mode etc. People wanted a GTR2 successor. People like GT3 cars as the Blancpain series IRL has been growing in popularity for the last few years.
If you want choice you already have AC, rF2 which is coming along nicely, Raceroom, PC2 and AMS with number 2 on the way. People who complain about choice when speaking of ACC are missing the point of it by a country mile. Sorry.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 132 13.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 95 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 70 7.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 139 13.9%