It's actually quite liberating to have limited content

As a quite committed Assetto Corsa player with over 500 hours of (mainly online) play under my belt, I read with interest the press releases around the new 'Competizione' title.

One of the first things that struck me was the limit Kunos were immediately placing on the amount of content - cars and tracks - that would be available in the game.

One series, no mods.

As something of a collector of mods, good and bad, for Assetto Corsa - especially old 80s and 90s F1 cars - this struck me as something of a potential issue.

I tried to think of what the original Assetto Corsa would have been like without all those mods. Would it have been boring without them? The answer, when it dawned on me, came as a bit of a surprise.

I don't know.

I don't know, because I haven't actually driven more than 2 laps with some of the stock cars in AC. And I probably haven't driven most of the cars that were in the DLC.

With such choice, such quantity, available to choose from, it was always difficult to actually make a choice. And when I did make a choice, 3 laps in I'd start thinking about the 100 cars / tracks I didn't choose, get distracted, crash, then go and pick something else.

Rinse and repeat.

So, having waded through all that content, good and bad, for the last 4 years, what I actually LOVE about Competizione is the far more restricted choice.

I have no guilt about driving 10 online races in a row using the BMW. I have no guilt about trawling various websites of questionable morals in case I've missed a better version of the Abu Dhabi F1 track which I'll never actually get around to driving.

And my driving skills appear to have improved far more in the few weeks I've been driving ACC than in the years I drove AC.

Being forced to drive the same car on the same tracks means I'm getting far more consistent practise.

Modded content can, of course, be of the highest quality and provide experiences that we otherwise would never have. I'll be eternally grateful for countless hours of work from so many individuals that put me in my favourite F1 cars of all time. The Jordan 191. The Williams FW14. And in VR too. The closest I will ever be to actually sitting in those cars.

But now, it's time for all those cars to get locked away in their fancy showrooms, polish the bodywork, shine the tyres and put them on display. Museum pieces from a different era. My racing is focused now.

And I'm becoming a faster, more consistent, more competitive driver for it.

GTR 2 had two classes, not 1. And one with 600 hp cars (that brakes 300 km/h wall) without ABS and traction controll. In my eyes ACC dont have the same appeal.

"this is what a lot of people in the sim racing community were asking for." This is people on forums. Well, I already said that, it is better wait and see how the game will sale.

So, you prefer keeping not understand.

You have to be one of these guys that only read things you like and agree.

You're entitled to disagree with someone's opinion - that's all I posted - an opinion. You're entitled to provide an opposing one. Any and every opinion is valid.

But to simply state that someone 'does not understand' is offensive and tantamount to claiming your opinion is somehow more valid, or somehow 'more right'.

Neither of which it is.

tenor (26).gif

You're entitled to disagree with someone's opinion - that's all I posted - an opinion. You're entitled to provide an opposing one. Any and every opinion is valid.

But to simply state that someone 'does not understand' is offensive and tantamount to claiming your opinion is somehow more valid, or somehow 'more right'.

Neither of which it is.

I am sorry if I was offensive. But, you dont understand a simple fact. If you want to drive only GT3 cars on Assetto Corsa 1 you can. If I want to drive a Lotus 98t on Competizione I cant.

You dont have to drive all the cars. To me this seems the guys that hate the Nintendo for put 900 koroks on Breath of the Wild, or achieviments on other games. But you dont have to do that, only if you want. If you want to focus on only one car on Assetto Corsa you can do that.

That is why I am saying you dont understand. Because you are bring a false compliment to Competizione. Competizione is not better because forces you to do a thing you cant by yourself.

It is interesting to Kunos developing the game focus on the GT3 series, because this way they can do their best. But, why not allow for modders to do the complementary job with other series?

If Competizone failure means Kunos allowing moders, them, I will hope to fail, be sure of that. It is a good sim, the best features. And is a shame I cant experiment these features with my favorite car and I have to do that with cars I dont like. It is like many people say, a waste.

I am sorry if I was offensive. But, you dont understand a simple fact. If you want to drive only GT3 cars on Assetto Corsa 1 you can..

Do you really think I don't understand that? Did you even read my post?

Again, ignored the rest of your post if you're going to start it with something as utterly pointless as that sentence.

GTR 2 had two classes, not 1. And one with 600 hp cars (that brakes 300 km/h wall) without ABS and traction controll. In my eyes ACC dont have the same appeal.
I don't care if GTR 2 had two classes. It was still GT... or was it not?
ACC is based on Blancpain, I.e. it's the official Blancpain game simulating GT3 machinery. In which case, it only has GT3 cars. It really is that simple. Some people fail to grasp this simple premise. ACC doesn't have the same appeal to you. That's fine. But does that also mean you don't like GT3 racing? Do you watch Blancpain at all?
If not, it's like saying you don't like F1 and buying an F1 game expecting to race Minis in it. Seriously? Thought process... where is it?

"this is what a lot of people in the sim racing community were asking for." This is people on forums. Well, I already said that, it is better wait and see how the game will sale.
Yes that is what I said. For my many years on sim racing forums a lot of members from many different sites have been wishing for a GTR2 successor. They wanted things that title did well, and that title did it well by concentrating on GT machinery, I.e. a single, or is it double, class. Not open wheels, tractors or lawnmowers, just GT spec.
Why is it better to see how the game will sell? Your last comment makes no sense to me so apologies for missing your point.

I don't care if GTR 2 had two classes. It was still GT... or was it not?
ACC is based on Blancpain, I.e. it's the official Blancpain game simulating GT3 machinery. In which case, it only has GT3 cars. It really is that simple. Some people fail to grasp this simple premise. ACC doesn't have the same appeal to you. That's fine. But does that also mean you don't like GT3 racing? Do you watch Blancpain at all?
If not, it's like saying you don't like F1 and buying an F1 game expecting to race Minis in it. Seriously? Thought process... where is it?

Yes that is what I said. For my many years on sim racing forums a lot of members from many different sites have been wishing for a GTR2 successor. They wanted things that title did well, and that title did it well by concentrating on GT machinery, I.e. a single, or is it double, class. Not open wheels, tractors or lawnmowers, just GT spec.
Why is it better to see how the game will sell? Your last comment makes no sense to me so apologies for missing your point.
Kunos should probably have left out the words 'Assetto' and 'Corsa' and called it something different haha maybe people would eventually understand the concept of what this game is supposed to be :roflmao:

It isn't and was never going to be AC2. I personally think it's great that they don't want to pigeon hole themselves and want to try different things. I didn't realise that AC self destructed on everyone's systems on the 29th just when ACC dropped??? :p

All I'm pissed about is not having enough time to play! :mad:

Last edited:
Kunos should probably have left out the words 'Assetto' and 'Corsa' and called it something different haha maybe people would eventually understand the concept of what this game is supposed to be :roflmao:

All I'm pissed about is not having enough time to play! :mad:
Yeah, I know what you mean. But I think they created the brand of Assetto Corsa and it was so well received that they wanted people to know that this new title, although more focused in scope to a single series, still has the DNA of the first title they created under that name.

I'm in the same boat as you... desperately want my time in the seat but just can't right now due to family commitments...

Yeah, I know what you mean. But I think they created the brand of Assetto Corsa and it was so well received that they wanted people to know that this new title, although more focused in scope to a single series, still has the DNA of the first title they created under that name.

I'm in the same boat as you... desperately want my time in the seat but just can't right now due to family commitments...
Yeah Definitely which makes perfect sense. I honestly don't know how hard it is to understand really, it's not like there's been a shortage of information is it? haha I get people are eager for AC2 and I'm almost 100% sure that will come, but just not now. I for one am ready for a more focused game as there are plenty jack of all trades sims out there.

Some people sound like they're held against their will to play games they don't like :roflmao:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back