Italian GP: Hamilton, Mercedes escape Phantom Menace

100% should be disqualified.
Let's go back to 1976 when James Hunt was going for the championship with McLaren. The car was disqualified for being 0.1cm too wide in the wet stripping him of a race win. Harsh but 100% fair providing that the decisions remained consistent.
I think Hamilton should have been DSQ on the basis that the rules were broken, clear or not, they were broken. 1 win wouldn't affect Hamilton at this point anyways. The championship has been a blowout of boring processions with mostly 2 silver cars in the top 2.
I bet if Ferrari had won and was down on tyre pressure then they would have been DSQ but who knows because that didn't happen.
Agree. If its checked and its false, no matter what, there should be a penalty. We have had many cases like this, 2011 in melbourne with two Saubers, Schumacher had it for the underbody in 1994 i believe, Honda had it with their tank.

The Mercedes haters in this thread are funny. No rules were broken, there's an official statement already stating such. Clearly there was a misunderstanding in the testing of the tires which led to this discrepancy. There was no cheating.

The Mercedes haters in this thread are funny. No rules were broken, there's an official statement already stating such. Clearly there was a misunderstanding in the testing of the tires which led to this discrepancy. There was no cheating.
Clearly it said that the pressure indeed WAS too low at both Mercs, right?
That was proven by the FIA, right?
There were even numbers of psi given.
This low pressure was disallowed and it was said throughout the weekend, right?

-> Even if it was due to the heating of the tyres, its still something inconsistent. If they measure it, if they give recommendations like that before, why dont ive a penalty when the value is incorrect?

-

Still, a penalty because of that would have been ridicolous, too, but the problem of the situation lays somewhere else as i mentioned in another post already.
Nothing to do with hating Merc, it just bothers me that it was handled like that. Unprofessional.

You're saying Mercedes should be penalized because the testing was performed incorrectly. Do you not realize how ridiculous that sounds?

You're saying Mercedes should be penalized because the testing was performed incorrectly. Do you not realize how ridiculous that sounds?
the testing was done correctly, they just took the energy out of the tyre warmers afaik which lead to reduced pressures.

Of coure. But due to that, the tyre presure was enough anymore when it was tested, right?
I'm not gonna repeat my arguments from before.
Yes and that is exactly why teh stewards have told the FIA and Pirelli to get their act together and devise a definite set of rules for the pre-race check of tyre pressures. Because as it is right now nobody knows how or when it will be done and all you can do is get the pressures right when you put the wheels on the car under Pirelli supervision, what MGP did. So no blaming them so much as blaming the FIA.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back