It took me a long time to discover AC

I got started in sim racing with GTR2, then moved to rFactor. Eventually i got the iRacing bug, which ultimately turned me off of sim racing in general. Nothing against iRacing, but it was more an exercise in frustration as i found it hard to push the car without uncontrollable spins.

I had pretty much written off the genre when i upgraded my monitor to 1440p recently and decided to try out a few games. I already had pc2 but after a hour or so decided not much had changed since the last time i fired it up. Then i read a lot about ams2 so i took a look at that. That sim sort of changed my attitude about sim racing, as i was actually having some fun with it. After about 10 hours of driving i decided to uninstall the other driving sims, including iRacing. I noticed Assetto Corsa was in my steam library so for the heck of it i fired it up.

I bought AC many years ago but was very unimpressed tbh. I had a decent graphics card but got nothing but jaggies, and my g27 wheel felt bad. I really didn’t give it a chance, as i was a bit jaded at that point.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, when i reinstalled AC. My first go wasn’t much better as i had picked some random F car and gave it a spin. The same clunky ui was still there. My wheel did feel better, but then i had upgraded to a T300RS. After playing ams2 for a while i almost uninstalled it again. But i had just setup trackir so i figured i would give it one more go with the Lotus 125 at Monza.

That practice session was a game changer. I finally was able to see the potential of this sim. Unlike iRacing, i was able to really push the car, and feel exactly what it was doing near the limits. And that is the key. Knowing what the car is doing at or near the limit, and being able to correct it without uncontrollable spins, is one of the many things that AC gets very right.

I now have CM, Sol, Crew Chief and the RSS F1 2020 hybrid mod installed, plus a ton of tracks, and can say conclusively that AC was the sim i had been waiting for. AC gives you excellent ffb, great visuals and sounds, amazing content, and most importantly it is super fun.

My race at Monza last night was the most fun i had ever had in sim racing. It was 25 laps with the RSS 2020 F1 hybrids, and 18 of those laps were spent battling the same 3 or 4 cars. It was offline sim racing at its best, at least as far as i am concerned.

So if you have written off AC or are not enjoying your current racing sim, i strongly recommend you give AC a go. This sim is a true work of art. Just make sure you install the Content Manager, Crew Chief and Sol. It is worth the effort.

Also, huge plug for Race Sim Studios 2020 F1 Hybrid. Well worth the few dollars they are asking.

Last edited:
I only recently migrated to PC from a PS4 and I have to say AC is wonderful step-up from GT Sport. I don't get the full benefit of the visuals as I'm in VR, but it's still far superior to the PSVR mode. And the mods... oh boy did I forget about that aspect when I moved to console two decades ago... fancy racing on that obscure track from the 70's? - there's probably a mod for that....

I recently joined the casual racing organised via peeps from this site 2-3 times a week. Great fun and I'm learning loads, especially with the variations in tracks and cars of the Wednesday night ones

I'm late to the party as well. I only started playing it a few weeks back after recently dabbling with F1 2019 causing me to buy my first wheel (Thrustmaster TX).

My initial install and first play of AC was a bit underwhelming but I stuck with it and then I found the feel and started to understand how it played.

I got hooked into driving the Maclaren P1 GTR in races around Brands Hatch and Donnington, getting into close battles with the AI.

I love the game now. I've found all the resources that are available eg. CM, Sol, PP filters, tracks mods, cars, skins, sounds. This is what makes the game for me. All the content and effort by all the users and all the youtube content. It's endless.

I've paid for mods like the URD ones of note T5 DTM pack, Bayro 2018. I love these cars.

I've done endurance racing, start in the afternoon, race through the night, see the sunrise all in the mist / fog. I've definitely fell down the rabbit hole.

I'm now determined to get a better graphics card to see it in all it's glory. I have a top PC build minus the GPu (currently RX580).

I've recently been throwing myself at the Nordschleife to try and perfect every corner. A bit more learning to go I think!

Anyway thanks to Kunos and especially all the modders that have made this game so great.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back