Issue with animations

Hi. I've tried installing animated flag marshals into my tracks. I couldn't find any tutorials on how to do it so this is what i did.

Using 3DsimEd imported as objects the .gmt flag marshals from the GTR2 game animations folder.
Placed the objects in correct locations.
Copied and paste the .ani file from a track with animated flag marshals
Edited the text, adding the WXY positional data, removing any irrelevent text. (Crowds, Fans, or excessive marshals)
Ensured objects and textures were packed into the .gtr and map.gtr

the track crashes 3/4 into loading.
Last few lines of text from trace

game.cpp 726: Entered Game::Setup()
hwinput.cpp 6541: Entered HWInput::Setup()
options.cpp 1657: Entered Options::Setup()
specialfx.cp 3583: Entered SpecialFX::Setup()
steward.cpp 4718: Entered Steward::Setup()
dynman.cpp 609: Entered DynMan::Setup()
sound.cpp 723: Entered Sound::Setup()
onscreen.cpp 3161: Entered OnScreen::Setup()
vidman.cpp 1152: Entered VidMan::Setup()
plrfile.cpp 3793: Entered PlayerFile::Setup()
plrfile.cpp 2936: Attempting to save to USERDATA\my name\my name.TMP
plrfile.cpp 2959: Retcode: 0 for renaming to USERDATA\my name\My name.PLR
game.cpp 770: Entered Game::Init()
vidman.cpp 1205: Entered VidMan::Init()

Can anyone advise what's causing the crash OR the correct way to install animated flag marshals into the .trk

also. The start lights have stopped working. They were working perfectly fine, but i needed to move them, when i replaced the original lights with the new lights they stopped working. All the STlite and STLightglow objects/materials are there, and the pitlane lights arer working. But the start lights just stopped coming on entirely.

One last thing. How to insert crowd noise into the track?

Advice / solutions greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Not sure if anone can help me figure this out. After inserting multiple flagmarshall.gmt into the .trk i subsequently deleted them.

1. There are NO flagmarshal.gmt in the .trk but ONE flag marshall appeared in game play.
2. the track ran perfectly fine with one flagmarshal (LEFT 2). appearing, but since i moved his XYZ it now crashes
3. I've tried with all Flagmarshal_4.gmt only
4. I've tried with all Flagmarshall _1.gmt only
5. and I've tried with both _4 and _1.gmt.
6. It crashes on a specific corner each time but that corner is NOT the location of the flagarshal which had appeared
7. the track can be driven in reverse, through the problem corner, without it crashing.
8. No flag marshalls are appearing in the Gameplay INCLUDING the one which had appeared before i altered his XYZ

As mentioned before, I had inserted flag marshall .gmt and the text into the .ani but the game crashed on loading

Then i opened the .trk and deleted all the Flagmarshall.gmt from the .trk ( or so i thought ) but left the .ani as it was in the track location folder.

I reloaded the track in GTR2 and it ran no problems, BUT there was one flag marshall trackside and he was working correctly. I checked b driving off track and slowing beside him, and both yellow and blue flags were waved appropriately. Odd. Because i thought i had deleted all the flagmarshall.gmt from the .trk

I then opened the .trk in 3Dsimed But in the .trk there was no flagmarshals visible, i zoomed in to the specific location he had been waving the flags in the game play and NOTHING there. I checked the objects inventory and no flagmarshall.gmt showing in the .gtr or objects listed. Opening the .ani in notepad I was able to trace which flagmarshal.gmt it had been from the XYZ. . Left 2 in the text below

I thought that perhaps, given one flag marshal had appeared in gameplay, i did not need to actually insert the flagmarshal.gmt into the track, but the .ani file text was sufficient. So i altered the XYZ of the flagmarshall i believed to have appeared in game, (LEFT 2 in the text below) to see if he would move to a new position.

Loading the track in GTR2, everything was fine. But driving out on track, there were NO flag marshals at any of the positions associated with the .ani text XYZ. Half way round the track, the game FROZE on a specific corner, then crashed. I tried four times and each time at the same corner the game crashed. I then drove around the track reverse direction with no problem, passing that corner in reverse direction, no problem, i then did a U turn and went the correct way through the corner without problem.

I Returned to pits. Drove back out again and at the same corner as before, Froze and crashed.

So i removed the .ani file from the track location folder, and ran the game without problem. That corner no incidents.

Pasted the .ani back in the track location folder, ran GTR2 and game crashes again when at the same specific corner.

pasted below is the .ani text perhaps someone can look and see if there's anything that seems obvious that i'm missing.

// Long Sleeved Males :-
// M-Crowd_Bloke-1.LMA = M-FanBloke-1.gmt - WC_FANBLOKE01
// M-FanBloke-2.gmt - WC_FANBLOKE02
// M-FanBloke-3.gmt - WC_FANBLOKE03
// M-FanBloke-4.gmt - WC_FANBLOKE04
// M-FanBloke-5.gmt - WC_FANBLOKE05
//
// Short Sleeved Males :-
// M-Crowd_Bloke-2.LMA = M-FanBloke-6.gmt - WC_FANBLOKE06
// M-FanBloke-7.gmt - WC_FANBLOKE07
// M-FanBloke-8.gmt - WC_FANBLOKE08
// M-FanBloke-9.gmt - WC_FANBLOKE09
// M-FanBloke-10.gmt - WC_FANBLOKE10
//
// Females :-
// M-Crowd_Female-1.LMA = M-FanFemale-1.gmt - WC_FANFEMALE01
// M-FanFemale-2.gmt - WC_FANFEMALE02
// M-FanFemale-3.gmt - WC_FANFEMALE03
// M-FanFemale-4.gmt - WC_FANFEMALE04
// M-FanFemale-5.gmt - WC_FANFEMALE05
// ____________________________________________________________
// Camera Men :-
// M-Crowd_Cam.LMA = M-FanCam-1.gmt - WC_CAM_01
// M-FanCam-2.gmt - WC_CAM_02
// M-FanCam-3.gmt - WC_CAM_03
// M-FanCam-4.gmt - WC_CAM_04
// M-FanCam-5.gmt - WC_CAM_05
//
// Anims for CamerMan :- A-Idle_CamCrouch-1.LMA (short version)
// A-Idle_CamCrouch-2.LMA (Longer version)
// A-Idle_CamStood-1.LMA (short version)
// A-Idle_CamStood-2.LMA (Longer version)

Motions=FLAGMOTIONS
{
Files=A-FlagMarshal-Idle.lma|||A-WaveFlag-L.lma|||A-WaveFlag-R.lma
}

//----------- Flagmarchalls -------------

Object=FLAGMARSHAL // ONE
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-4.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(-100.5000, 76.0000, 0.6000) AutoRotate=along
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // TWO
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-4.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(136.000000, 98.500000, 1.200000) AutoRotate=along
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // THREE
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-4.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(111.000000, -180.00000, 3.700000) AutoRotate=along
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // FOUR
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-4.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(156.000000, -476.00000, 1.00000) AutoRotate=along
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // FIVE
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-4.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(-206.0000, -396.0000, 2.0000) AutoRotate=along
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // LEFT 1
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-4.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(-150.760315, 282.500000, 0.550000) AutoRotate=along
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // LEFT 2
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(161.000000,302.000000, 2.8000) AutoRotate=along
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // LEFT 3
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-4.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(-25.0000, -225.399994, -2.8000) AutoRotate=along
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // LEFT 4
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-4.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(8.0000, -62.0000, -0.8000) AutoRotate=along
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // LEFT 5
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-4.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(21.7999, 48.0000, 1.0000) AutoRotate=along
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // LEFT 6
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-4.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(116.0000, -332.0000, 2.0000) AutoRotate=along
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // LEFT 7
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-4.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(-61.0000, -401.0000, 0.4000) AutoRotate=along
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // LEFT 8
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-4.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(-227.0000, -303.0000, 0.8000) AutoRotate=along
}

Thanks to Zwiss, this problem is now solved. Job Done :thumbsup:

Two Errors. First, the pos data has to be X, Z, Y. (above is X, Y, Z)
Secondly. ani files require two lines of empty text at the end before the final }

My Tracks now have (successfully) animated flag marshals installed. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 419 16.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 281 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 276 10.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 192 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 324 12.8%