Issue configuring Fanatec Mclaren Wheel in AMS

I hope one of you AMS fans can help me out. I haven't run AMS in a while. Started it up and for the life of me I cannot set up my pedals nor any buttons. Every time I click on an entry - e.g. brake, throttle, clutch, pit limiter - AMS always wants to assign a button to it (B54 if it matters). It is recognizing the wheel okay in terms of turning l/r but I can't do anything with the pedals. The closest I've gotten was the throttle worked reversed. I have a CSW v2.5 and CSL Elite pedals. I did recently update the firmware on the wheelbase due to my new McLaren GT3 wheel so I'm guessing it has something to do with that.

I've tried uninstalling the sim and reinstalling. Re-booted after the re-install. I seem to have lost pre-configured set ups. Don't understand why those didn't come back after the re-install. I've done a bunch of searches and found one suggestion about the controller setup in Big Picture Mode. Checked that. Another user noticed their H shifter was in gear and when he put it in neutral, he was able to configure. My shifter was in gear but did nothing when I put it in neutral.

I have not tried switching USB outlets. Trying to avoid it due to the other sims I frequent. Thought I would reach out to you all for any other ideas first. NOTE: No probs with AC,R3E, iRacing with this current wheel/pedal set up.

Thanks!

I know what the problem is! It's the McLaren Wheel's Rotary dials.

Each position on the rotary dial is a button, so Position 1 on the left dial might be Button 54 for example, Position 2 is button 55, and so on...thing is, the wheel presses that position all the time, so it's impossible to map buttons using the default setting (12 position mode). There is a 11-Position mode you need to set in order to configure buttons using this wheel.

In Windows, open game controllers and go into the CSW settings. Follow the pictures below:
mcl1.jpg
mcl2.jpg

Click OK on everything, set both dials to Position 1 and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Sorry that you had to uninstall AMS (and lose your setups) to try and fix this...and it's weird that you didn't run into this problem in the other sims. Maybe they have a different way of recognizing button presses when mapping commands. I hope the solution above fixes your problem.

Hi guys.
I have this wheel as well but i dont know how to set those rotary switches for traction control and brake bias or anything else in iRacing.
Thanks

They don't work for AMS or iRacing, or at least not the way they are intended. It is 12 separate buttons for each rotary, not a +1 or -1 operation like rotating the Funkyswitch. In iRacing, i've heard the only thing you can use them for right now is for the black boxes (relative, radio, view settings, tyre temps, etc). The game has to be programmed to use this feature, but every sim released so far is programmed to do a +1 or -1 system with TC, ABS, etc because there weren't any steering wheels using a true rotary dial like Fanatec is using now.

There is some hope, as Assetto Corsa Competizione is the first game that uses the rotary correctly. It works so well there that I have to make sure I set my TC and ABS to match the car setup before going on track, or it will change the settings to whatever the wheel is set to. It's quite awesome when it works right.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 90 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 8.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 72 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 45 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 99 14.0%