Isolation for rig on wheels in apartment block inc tactile feedback

Hi All

My rig is on wheels (and has to stay on wheels) and I also need to be nice to my neighbors.

Rig is on a tiled concrete floor, though I can put an ikea rug down as an option over rubber matts?

I have a buttkicker mini LFE on the pedal deck and one on the seat. (2 x mini LFE)

Behringer NX1000D Power Amplifier 1000W with DSP (overkill?)

NLR Next Level Racing GTtrack Simulator Racing Cockpit.

I am thinking of using these to isolate the seat and pedals from the rig

to isolate the seat and the pedal deck from the frame and now considering the below to provide some immersion but also not annoy the neighbors.

Any feedback would be great, I went down the hole of more transducers then thought of my neighbors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would be very concerned that the seat mounts would be destroyed and come loose if they had a dynamic load where the threaded inserts are laminated into the fiberglass. They are designed for a static flush mount. Fiberglass is very brittle around a metal connection like that, and putting a lever arm on it that vibrates seems like asking for trouble.

I started typing this a while ago and by the time I posted it, I just repeated what @blekenbleu said.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would be very concerned that the seat mounts would be destroyed and come loose if they had a dynamic load where the threaded inserts are laminated into the fiberglass. They are designed for a static flush mount. Fiberglass is very brittle around a metal connection like that, and putting a lever arm on it that vibrates seems like asking for trouble.
Though you´re reasoning is valid, I wouldn´t be too concerned about the rigiditiy of FIA seat mountings.

Even seats tested to the older, now obsolete FIA 8855-1999 will have been tested with much higher forces than what you and I can throw at them.
Some of us don´t buy these seats new so it would be prudent to search for crash damage as tears around the mounts or broken fiberglass parts.

As long as the seat is structurally sound I don´t see a problem there because the direction of tactile vibration transmission is the same as the crash forces tested.

But I´m with @blekenbleu here, the "bobbin" kind of isolators does´n react to well to radial loads. An old motorcycle of mine ( BMW R80 GS) had an exhaust hanger like that which didn´t have to carry a lot of load, it was more to stabilize the last silencer against horizontal movement. I had to repair that thing about every two years ( around 20-30 kkm)

MFG Carsten

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

After riding on semi flexy rubber bobbins for a few months replaced them with much harder neoprene spacers that can also get pre-torqued to different stiffness level. Much better stability almost if not the same as bolted directly to the profile but isolate just as well as rubber bobbins.
1111211619.jpg

1111211757.jpg

Parts to use:
Neoprene isolators
M8 washers
M8 Locking nuts, amazon ran out of stock on those.
M8 bolts

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 1
Maybe I'm a bit late to this discussion, but have you considered the hard rubber foam interlocking mats that you can get for kids play areas in Ikea, or for use in garage floors in Ace Hardware? They are about 15mm thick, and the ones I got from ACE were about a meter square. By putting the entire rig on that it isolates it from the floor, plus makes the rig super stable - and it's cheap

this is a similar but thinner version from Home Depot

Mats

Cheers

Les

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

If that bolt goes all the way thru,
it would seemingly compromise vertical isolation;
two-piece elastomer bushings are wanted:
Don't want to argue, you are the expert, just saying that I have zero vibration transmitted to the rig itself.
It worked even better than I expected, I got into seat, leaned back and torqued out all remaining slack as it still compresses a bit under heavy load, nothing like like rubber bobbins but still some give.
100% happy, just wanted to share as seems like the area of seat to rig isolation after so many years is still based on very subpar bobbins solution compromising stability for isolation, this one seems to have the best of both worlds.
Just wondering why nobody came up with something simple like that before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Maybe I'm a bit late to this discussion, but have you considered the hard rubber foam interlocking mats that you can get for kids play areas in Ikea, or for use in garage floors in Ace Hardware? They are about 15mm thick, and the ones I got from ACE were about a meter square. By putting the entire rig on that it isolates it from the floor, plus makes the rig super stable - and it's cheap

this is a similar but thinner version from Home Depot

Mats

Cheers

Les
You want rubber, not foam.

Upvote 0
You want rubber, not foam.
Surely you want whatever works, and this does for my rig - it sits firmly into the top of the foam (it isn't soft stuff, it barely compresses by a millimeter with the rig sitting on it) and supports the rig evenly over the whole of the underside frame.

I won't argue that what you use doesn't work, but hard rubber foam mats also do a good job, at least in my experience, and with very little in the way of expenditure and effort

Cheers

Les

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

If it is as hard as vulcanized rubber, it won't matter, I just haven't seen any. My experience was with interlocking colorful mats for kids play area (they supposed to be soft by design to prevent injuries) and home gym foam mats that I had to return, they all were soft and would sink heavy rig like P1X to the floor.
Just my experience with similar but not necessarily same products.

Upvote 0
The ones I got were from ACE hardware and were very definitely purposed and sold as 'garage floor' mats, not kids play area mats, so your comment about the softness may be applicable in this case - as I had the ones I bought I didn't do a working comparison to other ones.

However re-reading some of the thread, I spotted a very pertinent point that would definitely negate the use of the mats for some people. My rig had the entire bottom frame resting on the mat, so the weight of the rig is spread over a very large surface area. As I said, my rig doesn't push further than about a millimeter into the mat.

In the case of the OP, he was using his on wheels, or feet in other cases quoted. As they would be point sources, or at least very much reduced area contacts, they would definitely sink further in to the mat than my use.

Nonetheless, for using the mat in the way I did it was a good solution for me. I removed the foot blocks from my frame exactly for that, so the entire frame would be supported evenly

Cheers

Les

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 164 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline