Isolation for rig on wheels in apartment block inc tactile feedback

Hi All

My rig is on wheels (and has to stay on wheels) and I also need to be nice to my neighbors.

Rig is on a tiled concrete floor, though I can put an ikea rug down as an option over rubber matts?

I have a buttkicker mini LFE on the pedal deck and one on the seat. (2 x mini LFE)

Behringer NX1000D Power Amplifier 1000W with DSP (overkill?)

NLR Next Level Racing GTtrack Simulator Racing Cockpit.

I am thinking of using these to isolate the seat and pedals from the rig

to isolate the seat and the pedal deck from the frame and now considering the below to provide some immersion but also not annoy the neighbors.

Any feedback would be great, I went down the hole of more transducers then thought of my neighbors.

Last edited:
Thanks @Andrew_WOT for sharing your build. I see you have installed the isolators between seat and slider rail assembly - does it create any issue when sliding the seat?
You can see on the picture above with the bolt through the rubber that he is using a rather flat head bolt.
As long as this bolt doesn´t come in contact with it´s counterpart on the other side of the slider it should not be a problem.

Also you could use hex head bolts which heads are thinner.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Thanks @Andrew_WOT for sharing your build. I see you have installed the isolators between seat and slider rail assembly - does it create any issue when sliding the seat?
No, it's just one inch, so slider handle just a bit lower, for my setup it actually worked better as it gained extra clearance between bottom of the seat and handle to fit transducers. You can also use them between chassis and sliders, if you prefer, it doesn't matter really.
But setup is super stable, esp. after you torque bolts down to remove slack when you sit in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Video of isolators in use, getting in the seat and applying hard braking. As you can see there is very minor squatting under load but no lateral movement whatsoever.
Hey mate, can i ask how heavy are you ? Just curious as im a big unit and wonder whether i would have too much movement when i get in and out of the rig. I wonder whether some larger diameter units with washers would add a touch of stability?

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Hey mate, can i ask how heavy are you ? Just curious as im a big unit and wonder whether i would have too much movement when i get in and out of the rig. I wonder whether some larger diameter units with washers would add a touch of stability?
210lb, after you sit in, you will see if there is any slack due to compression and just torque bolts down to remove or reduce it, they will stay slightly compressed but it works the best this way.

Upvote 0
Just bought these.

1641069914557.png

Planning on mounting them on the seat bracket and since I only got transducers on my actual seat I expect this to work out pretty good. Got some anti vibration pads on the floor but they did jack ****. Hoping this works because the missy just complains when I try to use them..
1641070017048.png

Upvote 0
@Andrew_WOT

Hey this looks like a very elegant and simple solution. Nice job! A few questions:
What exactly are the purpose of the washers? Do you think they're really necessary?
I assume you've mounted the bass shakers/tranducers directly to your seat? Was trying to figure out if there's a way to utilize this without mounting directly to the seat. I suppose one way to do this is to use your isolation solution between the seat rails and rest of rig then attach the bass shakers to the seat rails (via some cross bars between them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

My seat has mounting posts at the bottom, so I didn't have to drill anything.
Washers to protect rubber at contact points as it gets compressed under load. Same reason rubber isolators (bobbins) typically use metal where rubber comes in contact with mounts.

Upvote 0
really nice solution, Andrew! bookmarked it in case I will not be happy with my setup. Was going to get those rubber bobbins and glad I saw your post they add flex. I read someone else used Nylon spacer from Lowes with the same success. I was a bit skeptical since energy still going through the bolt but glad it actually works!

Upvote 0
Hey @Andrew_WOT your solution looks pretty slick so I’m going to try it out in an upcoming tactile build with some beefier transducers (TST-429, LFE, some K-woons). I was wondering how you pretorqued the bobbins evenly?

Also I’m thinking of making a pedal mount and use the neoprene bobbins to isolate that as well, I don’t see why that wouldn’t work.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I was wondering how you pretorqued the bobbins evenly?
Not super scientific, just matching the length of exposed threaded bolt part. Of course you can use torque wrench if you have access to one.

Upvote 0
After riding on semi flexy rubber bobbins for a few months replaced them with much harder neoprene spacers that can also get pre-torqued to different stiffness level. Much better stability

Parts to use:
Neoprene isolators
M8 washers
M8 Locking nuts, amazon ran out of stock on those.
M8 bolts

@Andrew_WOT are you happy with your Neoprene isolators?

I'm gearing myself up to go down the rabbit hole of improving my tactile setup, and isolating my seat with these spacers is where I'm looking to start.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

@Andrew_WOT are you happy with your Neoprene isolators?

I'm gearing myself up to go down the rabbit hole of improving my tactile setup, and isolating my seat with these spacers is where I'm looking to start.
The best thing that I've done to tactile to date, kicking myself in the head for not figuring something simple like that earlier.

Upvote 0
The best thing that I've done to tactile to date, kicking myself in the head for not figuring something simple like that earlier.
That's great to hear, especially after a year of testing!

My seat is different from yours. It is side mount, so my rig is something like the following:
  • Seat, sidemounted to bracket
  • Bracket mounts to seat slider
  • Seat slider mounts to rig base
I intend to mount the isolaters between the bracket and the seat slider. There should be plenty of room for the bolthead, isolator, and nut. Is there any reason this shouldn't work, despite my seat mounting differently from yours? I can't think of anything, but figured I'd ask. :)

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

That's great to hear, especially after a year of testing!

My seat is different from yours. It is side mount, so my rig is something like the following:
  • Seat, sidemounted to bracket
  • Bracket mounts to seat slider
  • Seat slider mounts to rig base
I intend to mount the isolaters between the bracket and the seat slider. There should be plenty of room for the bolthead, isolator, and nut. Is there any reason this shouldn't work, despite my seat mounting differently from yours? I can't think of anything, but figured I'd ask. :)
Between side bracket and seat slider is how it's mounted on mine.
1672429529156.png

You can probably see it better on video.

Upvote 0
Ordered a set of Andrew’s isolators ahead of putting tactile gear on my rig. Couldn’t find anything directly similar on Amazon Uk but shipping was cheap and it probably won’t be more expensive than trying to find the right thing over here. Thanks for the tip Andrew.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back