Upcoming Events

AC events on Simracing.GP ACC events on Simracing.GP R3E events on Simracing.GP Weekly rFactor 2 events

What racing gear do you use while sim racing?

• Gloves

Votes: 249 19.1%
  • Boots

Votes: 59 4.5%
  • Gloves + Boots

Votes: 124 9.5%
  • None

Votes: 873 66.9%

Isolation for rig on wheels in apartment block inc tactile feedback

Hi All

My rig is on wheels (and has to stay on wheels) and I also need to be nice to my neighbors.

Rig is on a tiled concrete floor, though I can put an ikea rug down as an option over rubber matts?

I have a buttkicker mini LFE on the pedal deck and one on the seat. (2 x mini LFE)

Behringer NX1000D Power Amplifier 1000W with DSP (overkill?)

NLR Next Level Racing GTtrack Simulator Racing Cockpit.

I am thinking of using these to isolate the seat and pedals from the rig

to isolate the seat and the pedal deck from the frame and now considering the below to provide some immersion but also not annoy the neighbors.

Any feedback would be great, I went down the hole of more transducers then thought of my neighbors.

Last edited:

blekenbleu

Premium

RCHeliguy

Premium
I would be very concerned that the seat mounts would be destroyed and come loose if they had a dynamic load where the threaded inserts are laminated into the fiberglass. They are designed for a static flush mount. Fiberglass is very brittle around a metal connection like that, and putting a lever arm on it that vibrates seems like asking for trouble.

I started typing this a while ago and by the time I posted it, I just repeated what @blekenbleu said.

Last edited:

stigs2cousin

Premium
I would be very concerned that the seat mounts would be destroyed and come loose if they had a dynamic load where the threaded inserts are laminated into the fiberglass. They are designed for a static flush mount. Fiberglass is very brittle around a metal connection like that, and putting a lever arm on it that vibrates seems like asking for trouble.
Though you´re reasoning is valid, I wouldn´t be too concerned about the rigiditiy of FIA seat mountings.

Even seats tested to the older, now obsolete FIA 8855-1999 will have been tested with much higher forces than what you and I can throw at them.
Some of us don´t buy these seats new so it would be prudent to search for crash damage as tears around the mounts or broken fiberglass parts.

As long as the seat is structurally sound I don´t see a problem there because the direction of tactile vibration transmission is the same as the crash forces tested.

But I´m with @blekenbleu here, the "bobbin" kind of isolators does´n react to well to radial loads. An old motorcycle of mine ( BMW R80 GS) had an exhaust hanger like that which didn´t have to carry a lot of load, it was more to stabilize the last silencer against horizontal movement. I had to repair that thing about every two years ( around 20-30 kkm)

MFG Carsten

Last edited:

stigs2cousin

Premium
As always it depends on the hardware ;).

As stated above I think an automotive grade seat should take the forces, but there is only one way to find out for shure.

MFG Carsten

Andrew_WOT

Premium