Isle of Man TT: Matsushita Killed In Qualifying

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Yoshinari Matsushita, a Japanese motorcycle racer, has sadly died after a crash during qualifying for the Isle of Man TT on Monday evening.

Yoshinari was a member of the Tyco Suzuki team, and was only formally added to the team on Monday morning. He joined Josh Brookes & Guy Martin, and was set to race in Supersport events this year; and was riding a 600cc Suzuki at the time of his accident.

Matsushita-san was killed at Ballacrye, to the north of the island between the 17th & 18th milestone. The session was red-flagged immediately. The 43 year old is the 240th rider to lose their life on the Snaefell Mountain Course.

ACU Events, the organizers of the Isle of Man TT, released the following statement:

"ACU Events Ltd regrets to announce that Japanese rider Yoshinari Matsushita, was killed during the qualifying session at the 2013 Isle of Man TT Races in an incident at Ballacrye in the North of the Island. The session was immediately red flagged following the accident."

"Yoshinari, from Saitama in Japan was an experienced racer who first competed at the TT Races in 2009. As well as competing regularly in the Superstock and Superbike classes he also finished 5th in the 2011 TT Zero for electric bikes. He was also 2008 Motegi Endurance race winner."

"The ACU wishes to pass on their deepest sympathy to Yoshinari’s family and friends."

Matsushita-san began competing in TT in 2009, and also raced in both the Superstock & Superbike classes. Yoshi won the 2008 Motegi Endurance race.

Gary Thompson, of ACU, said "Yoshi was a really popular competitor who had a large number of friends in the TT Races paddock. He was a genuine and friendly character who always had time for everyone. He will be sorely missed.”

"The Coroner of Inquests has been informed and an investigation into the circumstances of the accident is underway."
View the Post on the Blog

R.I.P Yoshinari Matsushita-san.
I hope it was quick & as painless as possible & that Brooksie & Guy Martin manage to make a win for you.
You will be sorely missed.

Hi Lee, i saw the crash from a video, it looked liked he passed away a few seconds after the crash happened, and it was quite a big crash :(

i was watching one of he's interviews, what a great fun guy! R.I.P

R.I.P Yoshinari Matsushita-san.
I hope it was quick & as painless as possible & that Brooksie & Guy Martin manage to make a win for you.
You will be sorely missed.
Even Guy could be the next one. I can't get it. That's no modern sports but watching gladiators die like they did thousands of years ago.

240 riders have died! that's crazy... why do they keep this running?

They keep it running because people still wish to race there, no-one is forcing them too.
Isn't that what real freedom is, to make your own choice rather than some safety-crat knee-jerk reaction-ist deciding on your behalf?
When I finally go I hope it's quick & doing something I love, not bed-bound incapacitated by age after years of being a burden on family &/or the state....
Besides, you should remember that that figure of 240 people (which a large percentage of were not racers but tourists over stepping their personal skill levels) came about over a 100+ year period & I doubt that any one of those that have passed away would have wanted the race stopped just because they themselves had died- including the spectators in that figure.

They keep it running because people still wish to race there, no-one is forcing them too.
Isn't that what real freedom is, to make your own choice rather than some safety-crat knee-jerk reaction-ist deciding on your behalf?
When I finally go I hope it's quick & doing something I love, not bed-bound incapacitated by age after years of being a burden on family &/or the state....
Besides, you should remember that that figure of 240 people (which a large percentage of were not racers but tourists over stepping their personal skill levels) came about over a 100+ year period & I doubt that any one of those that have passed away would have wanted the race stopped just because they themselves had died- including the spectators in that figure.

Your argumentation makes sence and I can't see anything wrong with it. Nevertheless I think that some too dangerous things shouldn't be allowed anymore even if people like to do that by free will. Or are you still allowed to drive a car without using a seat belt, because you like to do so?

It's not that these guys don't take precautions, nor take risks that they don't feel comfortable taking, it's just that -as in any other form of motorsport- there are risks involved & each form has it's own inherent risks & occasionally, no matter how well prepared, some thing WILL go wrong (Human, mechanical or otherwise).....
It's just that they choose to specialize in this type of racing....
How about Taga's, Rallying in cars or Endruo Motorcross riding whether it's sate forests or the Hasburg (or whatever it's called)?
These are similar forms too.
So if we ban the IOM & other real road races, then why not rally's, Targa's, Enduro....
Hell, folks still die in F1 & MotoGP, lets ban that too!
What's next, you want to race at all besides sitting at home in front of a computer?
Well then, how about just to driving a go-kart or a 'pocket' mini-bike around a specially certified race center that costs you the best part of 2years wages in track fee's, qualification courses & tickets before you even purchase your vehicle?
Think Im kidding?
Take a look at what it takes to just legally discharge a firearm of some sort at a target club in most countries (IF they have any) these days!
And this is just one example I can think of.
Racing at the IOM & similar can in no-way be compared to driving without a seat belt either.
You have an accident most places around the world & they prove your not wearing one?
Your not only no longer covered by insurance, your also liable weather it was your fault or not!
Most if not all riders on tracks such as the IOM are covered by some form of insurance & which is accordingly much more expensive.
If your sensibilities can't take what these guys are doing then why not just respect their wish to pursue their life their way just as I'm sure they would yours...
After all, racing against the clock on real roads is the most pure form of racing & where virtually all forms of terrestrial based motorsports have derived from, it might be a bit of a romantic notion but why can't we still accept & nurture it for it's pure form. ;):thumbsup:
Long line events & places such as the I.O.M, Nordschliefe, Dundrod, the Dakar & too many more to list!

R.I.P. :(

The TT is run every year because men and women want to race there irrespective of what anyone else thinks or believes. More people die from horse riding accidents than at the TT so should amature horse riding be banned too?

I just found this fresh on the IOM's Facebook news feed posted by Matsushita-san's wife...

Dear all my TT friends, Manx friends and FB friends
Thank you very much indeed for your condolence for Yoshinari Matsushita.
And also thank you very much for your concern and sympathy for me.
I am very sorry for I could not reply for all of them.
We could not face this huge tragedy, but we had to keep going to sort things out for him.
It has been very very difficult and hard time for me.
But because of your all supports helped me to do it.
I don't know how to thank all of you.
But I really appreciate it from bottom of my heart.
It's very very sad, but I know he really wanted to compete and he tried his best for Isle of Man TT what he loves.
Tomorrow I will fly back to Japan with him.
Please remember him as he always had a big smile.
Once again Thank you.
Best Wishes
Asa in Douglas Isle of Man.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back