Isle of Man Mountain Course for GTR2 3.1 - reworked by BenMK1

Isle of Man Mountain Course for GTR2
reworked by BenMK1
Version : 3.1
View attachment 281680
View attachment 281678
View attachment 281676 View attachment 281677
I have reworked Isle of Man
PHILROB (IOM GTL v2) and MotorFX (IOM GTR2) gave me permission to make the best with here versions.
Version 3.1 - updates by BenMK1 :
• GMT: Track, Gravel, Curb, Green reworked and set better LodOut values. So you see no longer the complete track in the air.
• Skyboxi and...

Read more about this resource...

Sorry I off my meds mate

DD

Here is the read me if you want to include it ;)

COPYRIGHT

All original work in this release, including track file, 3do and original textures, is copyright Jim Pearson July 2003. All rights reserved.

The track, its files and Course Guide are made available for individual private use only. They are not to be copied, or used in full or in part for any commercial purpose, converted to other simulations, or mirrored on other sites without my specific written permission.

ISLE OF MAN MOUNTAIN COURSE...Difficult, bumpy, narrow, insanely fast... Stone walls, sandbags, curbs and hedgerows.

In use for 100 years. Surtees, Agostini, Hailwood, Sheene, Dunlop, Hislop, Fogarty, Jefferies....

Manx TT and Manx GP

Arguably the most thrilling, dangerous and best road racing track in the world.... SERIOUSLY!!

This is my GPL representation of it. Not a 'team project', but my own concept and work, from drafting and track construction, making most of the textures, the A.I., groove, default setups for F1, F2 and F3, Cameras, etc. etc. So make some alowances if everything is not perfect.

633 track sections, 5130 objects, 15.4 miles/24.7 km, 198 turns, double, triple and quadruple apex corners like the real thing, bumps and jumps, Mountain views! A very enjoyable and satisfying drive if you spend the time to learn it properly.

I had a ball making it, despite many setbacks and frustrations.

I think I've come up with a 'cracker' of a GPL track. ( Well, at least I still 'crack a grin' every time I drive it! :)

However I did have some valuable 'outside' assistance in two specific areas.

JOHN BRADLEY, BAPOM, ... programme maps, cover, news photo and colour correction of my sky/horizon. Superb work. Thanks John.

KEN MURRAY, GPL driver/real life TT and Manx GP bike racer... 8 years racing over the real Mountain Course. Assisted fine tuning of routing and bumps, improving feel and authenticity. We are all indebted to him. Thanks Ken.
Ken's record/ action photographs of him at the Isle of Man are on my site.

SPECIAL NOTE ON TEXTURES AND A FRIENDLY CAUTION!

The sky/horizon..16 bit for clarity as it has to be stretched around a large 'skybox'. The rest is in 4 bit with a good number of sub images. I tried hard to make textures that looked good and performed well at high speed.

This 4 bit/lots of sub images formula, although harder to make well, is IMHO better than 16 bit/few sub images for a graphically intense track. The smaller size of 4 bit textures maximises frame rates. A good number of sub images provides a smooth, pleasing, less tiring driving view. Speckled lighting effects are common with fewer sub images, something that doesnt show in screenshots.

'Add on' textures can be very good. Often use them myself. But if alternatives are made for this track which detract from its harmonious look/lighting, dont improve or preserve authenticity, reduce my hard won frame rates or produce 'speckled' lighting effects, they are not worth having.

So please, make careful comparisons. 16 bit/newest texture 'packs' are not ALWAYS going to be better for you!

WHAT I HAVE MADE

1) The track... ISLE OF MAN MOUNTAIN COURSE

2) AN ISLE OF MAN MOUNTAIN COURSE GUIDE containing

. a detailed section by section analysis of how to drive it;
. details of the real track; and
. details of track construction/acknowledgements.

3) An alternative dramatic/stormy sky/horizon

4) Alternative track.ini to easily install A.I. of different speeds

5) A 'server version' of the track.ini, for those wishing to host on line racing with pit stalls that allow for 'flying lap' qualifying, as you can do at the 'Ring'

PLEASE DO NOT LINK TO ANY PAGE OTHER THAN THE LINK BELOW

It took me nearly a year of hard labour to make this track. If people want to download these files, I would like to be paid the courtesy of entry to my site through the main page. From there, navigation is dead easy. [ BTW there is no advantage for me in that, other than the pleasure of showing visitors all the site has to offer! ]

While you are downloading, why not have a look at the Course Guide?

I HOPE YOU ENJOY THE ISLE OF MAN MOUNTAIN COURSE

Be patient, and watch for those yellow 'SLOW' signs.

Have at look at the mountain through the TV2 view!

Cheers

Jim

Go here to download.. kindly hosted by M4Driving ...http://www.jrpearson.homestead.com/index.html

EDIT

You probably don't know history jon..........

A Nascar 2003 League asked Jim if they could convert IOM for private use

Jim agreed on 2 conditions
1. They show him the work first before he gave final approval
2. They never give to people outside the League or link anywhere

Well they did both and to top it off did a shoddy conversion as well

Jim never allowed a conversion again
He also said even if he finishes Full IOM to his satisfaction he may never release it
Check the latest video
http://jrpearson.homestead.com/LatestNews.html

Now you tell me, who paid for one groups belligerence

We all did :(

Last edited:
Added rest of readme. Yes I can see why it would be annoying, this is a large track and a lot of work went into it, and would not exist on any sim if not for Jim pearson.

I confirm what I have already told you.
There is no difference between this "new" version 3.1 and the "old" version 2.0 I downloaded one year ago.
I have red the "readme" file as you suggested, but the only difference is the number of version.
Then I checked every single file (.aiw, .gdb, .gtr, etc.). Every "new" file has exactly the same size and the same date of the corresponding old file. Also the content is the same.
Finally I tried to drive on both the versions.
They are absolutely identical...!!!

Well you are entitled to your opinion. Regardless, neither version 2.0 or 3.1 was available on this site, so it sort of makes your 1 star for a perfectly good track a bit pointless, when its for that reason. Others may not want to download elsewhere, some sites are not trusted by everyone!!

:p

GTR2-IOM.jpg

These issues were already in the v2.0...

There are a couple of corners where you might, if you don't brake early, cross the audience and land in a grassfield behind the houses. You cannot get back on the track because there is a tiny wall all around, so you have to *drive through* the spectators once again.
Not very nice - a barrier there would have been a proper fix imho...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 205 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 148 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 109 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 208 14.2%