Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Both Pimax and Varjo benefit from OpenXR (also open composite and FSR) improvements for high resolution, high frame rate performance,
which help HP Reverb G2 less (my interpretation).
I have a MASSIVE benefit by using OpenXR toolkit/OpenComposite with my Reverb G2 by enabling Fixed Foveated Rendering + FSR. It feels like a new GPU for free, the difference is really huge for all sim racing titles that I play(AMS2/DR2/RF2/AC).

Maybe you look only at OpenComposite? This is not enough, you really need to use OpenXR toolkit and then enable Fixed Foveated Rendering + FSR (first FFR ring 100% res ~30% percent, second 1/2 resolution until ~50-60%, last ring 16th resolution and don't use more then ~40% sharpness on FSR). Once you do that you have almost double performance with the Reverb G2, this depending on the title but the difference is really massive.

I have a MASSIVE benefit by using OpenXR toolkit/OpenComposite with my Reverb G2 by enabling Fixed Foveated Rendering + FSR. It feels like a new GPU for free, the difference is really huge for all sim racing titles that I play(AMS2/DR2/RF2/AC).

Maybe you look only at OpenComposite? This is not enough, you really need to use OpenXR toolkit and then enable Fixed Foveated Rendering + FSR (first FFR ring 100% res ~30% percent, second 1/2 resolution until ~50-60%, last ring 16th resolution and don't use more then ~40% sharpness on FSR). Once you do that you have almost double performance with the Reverb G2, this depending on the title but the difference is really massive.
Which GPU do you have?

• Deleted member 1066209

Thanks for the tip! I've been using SteamVR for awhile, after a little bit of disappointment with OpenXR, and your advice has greatly improved my VR performance with minimal cost to image quality. I'm also using the Reverb G2.

A little late to the party for a video released Sept 18, 2022, but maybe not.

So even today nearing the end of production there is a lot futzing around, crashes, and tweaking needed to get the 8 KX to work and the headphones, microphone and controllers still suck compared to the Index.

He says that 200 degree FOV is great and someday he hopes a company will sell a better headset with that FOV and he hopes Pimax doesn't repeat all their mistakes with to next headset they are getting ready to release.

He seems to think that Pimax may step up if they are held accountable for their mistakes. Good luck with that!

Last edited:
So even today nearing the end of production there is a lot futzing around, crashes, and tweaking needed to get the 8 KX to work and the headphones, microphone and controllers still suck compared to the Index.
For me with PiMax the issue was always the distortion. They have a solution that only really works for 60% of the users and the rest get vomit inducing image distortions. Until they develop a good Z movement system and a way to set it correctly I can't see this being successful. But as a company they have very much made their reputation as being as scummy as possible and denying this basic reality is a big part of it so I don't see them addressing it. The fundamentals of their tech just doesn't work and then all the rest is bad too but if the image was good and worked for everyone they would at least be doing better than they are.

• Deleted member 197115

Hi
Can you please post your openxr toolkit setting screenshots ? Would be great for me ( rfactor2). Thanks

Lenovo ThinkReality VRX headset
enterprise all-in-one VR solution with pancake optics, full-color, high-resolution stereoscopic pass-through, using Qualcomm's Snapdragon XR chipset, connecting wirelessly or tethered.
Early access to select partners by the end of 2022,
followed by availability in select markets worldwide starting in early 2023, with price disclosed on availability.

Specs as yet unavailable

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Their WMR Explorer headset was pretty junky even by that time standards, can't imagine them releasing anything advanced or revolutionary, more like inferior clone of Quest.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back