Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
So full FOV with no distortion such that you can't see black on the edges of the screens and nice automatic IPD adjustment. Quite a bit smaller than the Pimax with better FOV and lighter than both the Index and Pimax, of course without headphones, but still with those huge lenses that is impressive.

However the resolution is still less than a Valve Index, never mind a Pimax 8 series. As he metioned this is a 2 year old product. They got the optics right and the quality is great, but no audio and the resolution is now dated and it costs $3200.

As I've said many times, it would be great if another company could get their optics and go from there.

The StarVR sounds glorious although for sim racing I am not sure I would want the apparent resolution drop that this comes with. Having complete vision sounds amazing and very immersive but I am not sure fewer pixels per degree is a good idea in VR it's marginal already at 1440x1600 per eye for 110 degrees and has noticeable aliasing artefacts into the distance. The dials are readable at less and I doubt its an issue since it has that resolution but its going to obvious it has less resolution.

Good stuff if it means reuse of existing designs that work well and increasing volume. I love the Index headphones and the comfort and ergonomics of their headset are excellent. Hopefully the new Reverb will be a great product. It will also be interesting to see what Valve has up their sleeves for their next headset.

Oh man I dont like all this teasing - because all the comming VR gadgets presume that you are running Win10.
And eventhough I could make the plunge almost for free - I dont want to.
Except for this VR thing Im fully satisfied with my personal and not mandatory trojan horse infected Win7.:roflmao:

trojanHorse.png

Oh man I dont like all this teasing - because all the comming VR gadgets presume that you are running Win10.
And eventhough I could make the plunge almost for free - I dont want to.
Except for this VR thing Im fully satisfied with my personal and not mandatory trojan horse infected Win7.:roflmao:

I had a development box running Win7 for almost 10 years and I understand where you are coming from. I did finally break down and upgrade it a few months ago. I had no choice.

For the record Windows 10 does do a few things better than Windows 7. In fact I noticed that even the abomination known as Windows 8 recognized USB devices much faster than Windows 7 and runs USB 3.0 data devices faster. Windows 10 is a bit quicker than Windows 7 in many operations and has better native support for a number of devices. Overall I would even say it is more stable.

Yes, it reports back to the mother ship about a lot of things, but Win 10 has recently started to allow users more control over their incessant updates that could hit you at the worst possible moment.

So at this point you are just fighting a losing battle for no reason. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!

BTW I've not had one issue with any of the 4 Win 10 computers in my house (2 x desktop, 2 x laptop ) being infected by anything.

BTW I've not had one issue with any of the 4 Win 10 computers in my house (2 x desktop, 2 x laptop ) being infected by anything.
Haha. Good one :thumbsup:
By "infection" I just ment having a computer infected by someone who decide what changes should be installed on my computers OS.
And also decide that Im only allowed to postpone this uninvited interuption up to a certain date.

I also have to admit that I consider it a positive sign that so many worldwide still refuse to install this "forced update machine" - because the only reason MS extremely slowly are lightening the forced and mandatory update regulations is because there is still a lot of resistance.
If there hasnt been that then MS would just have rolled all their good ideas out like as example scanning all Win10 computers for socalled illegal software.
And a lot of other good ideas.:roflmao:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Just to your story (that I believe) about zero problems with all your Win10 install - then I can say that Im still running my orig Win7 install with more or less no problems since 2010(?). And when I often see people begging for help after one of the mandatory Win10 up/down grades then Im having a rather good time because I dont get into similiar problems:whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Just to your story (that I believe) about zero problems with all your Win10 install - then I can say that Im still running my orig Win7 install with more or less no problems since 2010(?). And when I often see people begging for help after one of the mandatory Win10 up/down grades then Im having a rather good time because I dont get into similiar problems:whistling:

My Win 7 development system worked great for 10 years. I'm not complaining about Win7 at all. I simply had no choice but to install Win 10.

Win 7 is no longer being kept up to date and I had to update my VPN clients for my customers some clients would no longer work with Win 7. On top of that if I could VPN in, Windows Servers would not let me remote into them because my computer was now considered a security threat.

MS has now given you control over the installation of their service updates, so that issue has been resolved.

However, in my case I have to maintain my updates because if I fall behind my customers servers I can no longer connect. I've had this go the other way as well where I had to roll back an update because my customer hadn't patched their servers yet and my computer considered their server a security risk.

The bottom line is that I do work with large corporations and sometimes the government and Win 7 is not an option.

Hahaha. I suddenly understand that my wording about "mandatory trojan horse infected Win7" is completely whacky.
Completely braindead chosen:sleep:
And I understand fully that such wording was doomed to be misunderstood.

I cant even excuse myself that english isnt my 1st language - because when I searched for the pic of the trojan horse I completely forgot that we also use this name for nasties on computers which have no connections to MS.:roflmao:

I gonna kill myself:rolleyes:

Some exciting news

Looks like more info on Thursday!

Just hope it is real info and not some more photos.

• Deleted member 197115

Wow, so not just fake 'leak'. If it's new WMR 2.0 we'll probably see Samsung joining the party sooner or later.

• Deleted member 197115

Let the hype begin. No real new info, unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the headset looks upgraded in some very useful ways. IPD adjustment, I love the off ear headphones on my Index, so those should be excellent. The stock face plate is extremely comfortable and I have 3 face places on hand so I can swap them out in a couple seconds between sweaty players. The hand controllers look MUCH more ergonomically friendly. The old ones pretty well sucked in my opinion. I hated them.

The extra face cameras hopefully will hopefully be combined with better tracking.

I know all you want to know is what the display resolution, FOV and type is, but these look like important improvements towards breathing life back into WMR so it doesn't fade from existence without a whimper.

From the recent interview it seems they handled a lot of issues.
1. They are suggesting that the hand tracking is twice as good.
2. It is more comfortable.
3. They are now maximizing the quality of the display
Removing moire' looking effect
Edge to edge clarity
Less persistence.
4. Better cable 18' long!

The only non-feature is the FOV at only 114 degrees, same as last headset.
They do claim that their headset is lighter than the Index because they didn't expand the FOV.

The fact the MS is in fact evolving WMR, is also a pretty important thing for many.

I guess some of you will be happy that the hand controllers are not bundled in to keep the cost at $600.

This looks like it will be a great dedicated sim headset, and more usable for room scale.

I'm impressed and like what I see so far.

What I would like to see is the next Index headset to be at least 150 degrees FOV and 8K continuing to use my existing base units and hand controllers. Sell that for $600-750 by itself next year and I'll be a happy camper.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

I guess some of you will be happy that the hand controllers are not bundled in to keep the cost at $600.

As well as coming bundled with the headset, HP plans to sell the new controllers separate from the G2 and they are backwards compatible with earlier WMR headsets. Older WMR controllers aren’t compatible with the G2, according to HP, so you’ll only be able to buy the G2 headset as a package with the new controllers.

More curious if this is one off deviation from WMR or new WMR 2.0 standard with 4 cameras and new controllers as someone like Samsung can definitely make a better product.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 138 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 192 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 377 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.8%