Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Speaking of hot weather VR, I don't have a fan or AC, I'd rank heat build up and fogginess in my 3 sets as such:
- Pimax 5k+ breathes really well and no issues likely due to the cheap strap housing lol
- Rift fogs up but you can blow air into it on a straight and get it cleaned up. does start sweating though
- OD+ lots of sweat and heat build up but no fogging so it's a trade off

Great... FOV is so much bigger that now I can occasionally see through the roof of my car in AC. Maybe my helmet is too big? Can I turn off helmet? How about 'near plane clipping' or so in CM somewhere?

Edit: found it in Custom Shaders Patch —> Graphics Adjustments —> 'Adaptive clip planes'
Turned it off and now all is well. Still wondering what performance impact that setting has though..

I've just done a 1 hour race with the Index in room temperature 30 degrees Celsius (86F) and actually find it feels less hot than with my old Rift CV1.. Maybe because my ears are now free and the ventilator that's blowing on me can now cool off my ears too.

• Deleted member 197115

Reason Fennec fox has huge ears, to release the heat. :)

Untitled-1.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-2_18-14-7.png
    upload_2019-7-2_18-14-7.png
    266.6 KB · Views: 92
I've just done a 1 hour race with the Index in room temperature 30 degrees Celsius (86F) and actually find it feels less hot than with my old Rift CV1.. Maybe because my ears are now free and the ventilator that's blowing on me can now cool off my ears too.

Are you just taking one for the team playing at that temp for information?

Yesterday when I was playing Beat Saber. (The new Imagine Dragon's pack is EXCELLENT !!!) My headphones on my RIFT were SOAKED!!!!!

I could see a serious cooling advantage with the headphones being off my ears!!!!

When passing around a headset my 3 face shields get swapped out between players, BUT the headphones just go on WET! I hadn't even thought about the fact that would no longer be an issue!

The Index is sounding better all the time! I also can't wait to hear the new audio.

Just got off my sim rig and was having a blast, but still thinking how much better things will look in a month.

I've got a 7.1 sound card arriving today so I can play with having sound coming from my 5.1 AV system instead of or in addition to the headphones. Should be interesting. This is mostly for having friends over and being able to hear what is going on. I expect to mostly mirror the headphones at a lower level that's just high enough for everyone else to follow along better.

Last edited:
Things will look better... by quite a margin actually :)

I'm absolutely loving the Index, just can’t stop racing and marveling at the graphics. But like everyone, what impresses me most is the improved audio. I didn't know I was missing out on audio details and body with my CV1, I can now hear soft turbo's better, I can hear what my tires are doing better, it's like going from cassette to CD! The first time I went off track and caught some dirt/stones in my wheel wells, I could hear them so clearly I thought my rig was loosing screws or so:cautious: Engines have much more depth to them. I can hear the wind whistling past the car at high speed with such clarity.

Index screen/optics: It's better than my Rift CV1 of course. I only have experience with my Rift CV1, my Vive and Vive with GearVR mod.

SDE: on the Index I can still see it, but only when looking for it, not like on Rift CV1 or Vive where it's a constant overlay on everything. I was expecting to not see it at all, but this was too much to ask for, I guess only Reverb can really defeat SDE. But it's no longer an obvious hindrance, as long as you just forget about it you won't actually be reminded by it. With my CV1 I always saw it, wherever I look, there was a real fly stopper door in front of my face! With the Index it's just a slight 'sharpness' of the world which disappears when you start enjoying VR.

Colors: nice colors, cooler than Rift CV1 and less saturated, less bright than Vive, but fairly natural I'd say.

Blacks: Havent played any space games so can only comment on sim racing: I can't see any difference with my busted old Rift CV1 (which if anything had some serious grey smear anyway), Vive does still seem better here, but this needs more testing.

FOV: a lot bigger than Rift CV1 (I had VRCover super thin). With my Rift CV1 I cannot see my left mirror when looking straight ahead (in the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio), with the Index I can see it completely. I have the eye relief turned in so far that I can't see the edges of the screen, this is maybe 2 degrees less than fully pressed against my eye balls. My Vive with VRCover 6mm also feels slightly smaller.. but I need to do the TestHMD FOV test to objectively measure this. I think it's because of the high quality optics that there is a better awareness of the world. And it's very well calibrated, there is no warping or distortion, the whole screen feels natural to the eyes. I'd say the Index is big enough for me, it will bode me through to the next generation (StarVR?).
Edit, did a test:
-------------------------------
Rift CV1 (VRCover super thin)
VFOV: 114°
HFOV: 84°
Vive (stock lenses, VRCover 6mm):
VFOV: 126°
HFOV: 98°
Index:
VFOV: 130°
HFOV: 108°

Clarity: using the reading test in TestHMD with the Index I can clearly read the whole oval arrangement at a distance of 5 meter, all words are completely sharp and readable evenly. With the Rift CV1 I can clearly read it at 3.25 meters, but the edge words are a bit blurry. HTC Vive (original lenses) at 3.5 meters, but the edge words are very blurry. For info, it's this test:
IMG-2019.jpg

Eye Box: it's definitely bigger than Rift CV1 and Vive, but not as big as I was hoping. It's not corner to corner, there's still a large portion blurry at the sides. I'd say the 'eye box' is about double the size of the CV1. I can identify cars in my left mirror and inside without moving my head. With CV1 I couldn't even see the mirror. Good enough for me.

Hertz: at the moment I've found 90Hz and SS 130% to work best for me (Titan X Pascal, 6850K). With 120Hz I needed to lower SS all the way down to 80%. Or at 100% but with lowered MSAA from 4x to 2x and shadows and reflections down two steps. With 120Hz, looking out to the side, objects and curbs flying by are definitely smoother, less choppy. The whole world feels more solid, I feel more like driving a real car as opposed to watching a movie of driving a car. This has given me the taste, now I really want the 2080Ti:O_o: Actually, I'd go so far as to say, don't buy the Index if you're not prepared to buy the 2080Ti and 9900K.

God rays: no god rays, absolutely none for me. Also, I don't see anything like fresnel rings, it's an absolutely clear optic, kudos to Valve. But.. I do see the kind of flares that people talk about, in the far corners of my vision when there is a high brightness area in an otherwise low brightness scenery. It's not in any way a hindrance or disturbing, but it's something I could do without. These flares would be in the absolute lower corner of the screen if the sky is bright on a dark cockpit. This flare then blurs the contrast of the lower cockpit and moves around when you move your head. This is something new that I haven't experienced with any other HMD and people have been complaining about it, some even stating they will return their Index because it's a deal breaker. For me it's fine, it's really the only thing reminding me I'm looking through glass and not directly into the racing game :) I guess there's always a compromise somewhere.

Stereo overlap: I can see they are canted, but the whole middle part of the screen is overlapped, only the outer left and right edges are not overlapped, but this is in the area that is blurred anyway, so actually looking there with your eyes doesn't make sense anyway. I guess they chose a bit more peripheral awareness without compromising stereo vision, it's a good balance, I'm glad they did.

Build quality: it feels like a Glock. It feels like a Mercedes. It smells like a new car. Very, very solid, no play in any parts, no flappy stuff, no squeaking, no rattling, no cheap materials. It's executive class build. This thing feels like it will outlast a few VR generations, far beyond where anyone still needs it.

All in all, it's a keeper for me. Next gen GPU/CPU will help me SS up and maybe hit 144Hz soon, this will definitely carry me on until next gen HMD's become mainstream.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

MRTV review after 3 days, comments on image quality and through the lens pictures are the best part.

The index looks good and I am getting the feeling that I might get an upgrade from Oculus CV 1. But by judging the price I have some questions:

- Is the Index worth the price over Rift S?
- Will the Rift S fit my IPD of 67 mm or is this another plus for Index? I tried to run my CV1 with IPD of 64 and it wasn't comfortable. But I don't know if this was realistic test, because it has no Software-IPD adjustment.
- Is it possible to get index before end of september?
- Is there some cheaper way: I don't really need roomscale, only simracing. Maybe no controllers and old used lighthouse equitment would also do it? Or are the cameras of the index sufficient enough for tracking (are they even used for tracking?)?
- Will I have fun with my 1070 or do I have do upgrade to 2070 Super or even 2080 Super. CPU ist 9600K @4,8GHz and should be fine. Maybe a 1080 TI could be an option (second hand for 400 €). I have also concerns about my PSU (500W Bequite).

Could overall be very costy update :rolleyes:
Rift S = 450€
Index = 1100 € + 600 € + 100 € (Index + GPU + PSU)

Sorry for all the questions, but I really like to hear your opinions.

Thx in advance.

With IPD of 67 mm I would not buy a HMD without adjustable IPD unless trying it out first.
My neighbor also got an IPD of 67 mm and can't get a clear display on my Lenovo nor on a Rift S a friend brought over for a weekend.
For me the Rift S was a fine headset didn't have issues with the 80 hz but that is something else to try before buying as some find it less smooth.
Check out Samsung Odyssey+
In my view a better headset than Rift S and on sale it is a lot less. But understand it is harder to get in Europe?

I agree with @Bjarne Hansen about getting a HMD with physical IPD adjustment . Rift S lenses are fixed at 63.5mm and Oculus says it is "Best for users between 61.5 and 65.5mm". I have IPD of 61 and get eyestrain with the Rift S.

The index looks good and I am getting the feeling that I might get an upgrade from Oculus CV 1. But by judging the price I have some questions:

- Is the Index worth the price over Rift S?
- Will the Rift S fit my IPD of 67 mm or is this another plus for Index? I tried to run my CV1 with IPD of 64 and it wasn't comfortable. But I don't know if this was realistic test, because it has no Software-IPD adjustment.
- Is it possible to get index before end of september?
- Is there some cheaper way: I don't really need roomscale, only simracing. Maybe no controllers and old used lighthouse equitment would also do it? Or are the cameras of the index sufficient enough for tracking (are they even used for tracking?)?
- Will I have fun with my 1070 or do I have do upgrade to 2070 Super or even 2080 Super. CPU ist 9600K @4,8GHz and should be fine. Maybe a 1080 TI could be an option (second hand for 400 €). I have also concerns about my PSU (500W Bequite).

Could overall be very costy update :rolleyes:
Rift S = 450€
Index = 1100 € + 600 € + 100 € (Index + GPU + PSU)

Sorry for all the questions, but I really like to hear your opinions.

Thx in advance.

I only got the HMD, so 539€. Still had some old lighthouses, only needed one, maybe you can find one used somewhere. You don't need any controllers.
I'd get the Index, even if you can't drive it to its full potential now, you might get a good deal on some new PC parts later on. The Index also looks great at 80Hz with SS 90%, still way better than the Rift S. The audio is miles better, from what I understand. And IPD adjustment makes a lot of difference if you aren't at 62-64.

Thx for your replies. Reserved an index now :D. in the meantime I can search for an used lighthouse. Whats a reasonable price? Saw one for 80€ but I think its to much - maybe 50€?

Meanwhile I've put in an Oculus Support ticket for the Left headphone issue so I can hopefully get the free RR1 headset fix from Lucky Palmer before I give my Rift to my daughter. I don't like the idea of giving her a headset with a wire dangling off the back that is a temporary fix at best.

To echo @HoiHman's comment re. audio, I use a 5.1 system for external audio (and I like to crank it up) and headphones for Crewchief. I was worried that the latter would be drowned out, with the speakers being off the ear. Not a bit of it and if anything the immersion is increased as the external sound isn't being muffled any longer. Very clever. :thumbsup:

I just added an Audio card to my PC configured as 5.1 with Optical connection to my AV receiver. I can make that work with some things like Beat Saber.

I read that to get headphones and working 5.1 simultaneously that I would need to use the Audio mixer in Windows. Apparently the Rift Devices for the headset used to have a "mirror" feature but it is no longer there.

Does SteamVR still have the Mirror audio feature?

So currently
  • Rift headphones
  • motherboard audio -> 4 transducers
  • audio card -> AV reciever
Is Crewchief is a separate program that you are mapping to your headphones and then have the rest of the audio going to your 5.1 system?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 333 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 224 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 169 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 289 13.4%