Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
I do not think it is dead or dying but for sure it is struggling, compared to expectations!
And the headset manufacturer's might manage to kill it before it reach a self substantiated level.
We got Oculus going closed software and WMR forcing Windows 10!
Both Cliff house and Oculus home are complete pointless except for locking people on to a in-house store.
Like a mad dogs fighting over some small scraps, while if they worked together they could all fill their stomachs.
SteamVR is the closest we got to a standard right now and quite frankly it isn't doing a good job except locking people on to Valve/ Steam.
The PC connected headsets should be plug and play like any other device we got.
The stand alone HMD will never take off unless they figure out a standard.

Next Gen headsets might come out with great resolution displays, but if there isn't better interfaces/ drivers then the hardware will not help anything.

Agree it is a nice article!

• Deleted member 197115

That the first thing that came to my mind after reading the article. How come they didn't mention market fragmentation and the complete lack of common standards across manufacturers.
Latest exclusive deal of Codies with Oculus for DR 2.0 is a prime example of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
People is impossible to be 100% satisfied...
I mean look at FFB feeling and review...
Some guys dont like AC FFB :O_o:.

Its the same for VR.. difference fittings, material, sensibility, etc

I think there is two big problem whit VR right now...
1- no games that are really good/popular
2- way to hard to set up for most people

Totally agree with the Market Fragmentation, although the same can be said for the PC Game Market in General (Steam, Origin, Epic etc), it hurts VR more because of the lack of high quality games & apps of course.

That being said it's easy to forget that VR is still relatively new, in the Age Scale of things it's barely a toddler struggling to learn how to walk let alone run. Proper Gen2 is still yet to surface unless you include the Pimax in that, Vive Pro is Gen 1.25, Rift 'S' will be Gen 1.5 perhaps, we're yet to truly see the big companies go for the crown of the next Best HMD. Pimax are doing a good job, but to me they're mix match of current tech bundled together without any proper foresight as to what can be properly achieved.

It's become apparent that Mobile VR has been the attention in the past couple of years, PC VR is more expensive and caters to a much smaller crowd, whilst the Business Market with VR for Hospital Staff Training and the like is where the current Big Bucks are made, PC VR is being left behind but it will get "there" one day I'm sure.

No killer app? He obviously didn't try VRBangers

...and there was me thinking there was a UK Short Oval Banger Racing Game....dammit! :D

I do not think it is dead or dying but for sure it is struggling, compared to expectations!
And the headset manufacturer's might manage to kill it before it reach a self substantiated level.
We got Oculus going closed software and WMR forcing Windows 10!
Both Cliff house and Oculus home are complete pointless except for locking people on to a in-house store.
Like a mad dogs fighting over some small scraps, while if they worked together they could all fill their stomachs.
SteamVR is the closest we got to a standard right now and quite frankly it isn't doing a good job except locking people on to Valve/ Steam.
The PC connected headsets should be plug and play like any other device we got.
The stand alone HMD will never take off unless they figure out a standard.

Next Gen headsets might come out with great resolution displays, but if there isn't better interfaces/ drivers then the hardware will not help anything.

Agree it is a nice article!

I guess it depends on the source of the expectations. It seems that the sales are right in line or even surpassed the expectations by the hardware developers.

https://www.roadtovr.com/what-vr-he...-have-actually-said-about-sales-expectations/

• Deleted member 197115

How much time any of you spent in VR outside of your favorite sim.
If it wasn't AC mine would grow mildew already as every other genre works much better on flat screen.

I use VR mainly for rF2 and Pc2.
But pretty annoying with rF2 that they can't provide two log-ins so you could just click rf2-VR.
I do use it to get older programs working in VorpX.
None race/ flight sims, is very limited. But Google Earth , James Webb space telescope and a a couple of museums simulation gets some use.

I do like and enjoy VR a lot. But by now I had hoped we would be much further along with integration.

I'd love to try it before I buy it, tbh. It would mean a significant financial investment for me to move to VR for AC, and the uncertainty over image quality, FPS and compatibility with glasses makes me very reluctant to make that leap :( (although it does look really cool!)

I'd love to try it before I buy it, tbh. It would mean a significant financial investment for me to move to VR for AC, and the uncertainty over image quality, FPS and compatibility with glasses makes me very reluctant to make that leap :( (although it does look really cool!)

Your logic is fair on all points and the reason for a lot of people being reluctant to get into VR for sure.

I love VR, for sim racing and for other VR gaming too. With VR your not just playing the game you're 'in the game', it's a massive difference.

While I am not a fan of AC! It is one of the newer race sims that works well one less than stellar hardware.
Used to run it on a GTX 970 and an i5 7400. Somewhat reduced settings but it still looked good on my Lenovo headset 1440 x 1440.
Now with a RTX 2070 and a 4.9 Ghz i7700k with a lot of the newer shader mods it runs pretty much at full graphics settings.

How much time any of you spent in VR outside of your favorite sim.
If it wasn't AC mine would grow mildew already as every other genre works much better on flat screen.

Hundreds if not thousands of of hours.

Elite Dangerous
Beat Saber
Echo Arena
Golf Club VR
Subnautica VR
Skyrim VR
Fallout 4 VR
Chronos
Every title I listed above I have 50+ hours in. The list could go on and on for non sim racing games.

When you count the hours in iRacing, Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa, pCars2, RRRE, rFactor2 alone the price of the Rift becomes pennies per hour.

I understand if you think the resolution is too low or that the headset isn't comfortable or that you don't have a dedicated play space and you have to set it up/tear it down each use. Given those conditions I would probably agree.

For me, my first console was a nes in 1991 and since then I have been dreaming about VR. Having played with shitty resolution nearly half my life, I can deal with VR resolution but I know It will get better. I also bought a third party facial interface from VRCover so that it would feel better against my face.

I have a dedicated man cave/ game room where my system is always set up so I don't need to go through setup and deal with the extra "barrier" of getting into VR.

I have 200+ games in my steam library, a PS4 pro and all of the major titles. I play in VR 2x - 3x more than pancake games.

I originally bought the DK2 when it was released and then got the Rift CV1 at launch and have been using it since. I still haven't burned out on it.

Maybe right now, at this moment, VR isn't for everyone. I think the future is bright and many more people will come around when the tech gets better. Right now it is enough for me and I am excited about the future.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 172 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 337 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 467 39.0%