Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Not sure what to think about this product. Guess for people that needs adjustable IPD rang this is a good product.

It is an evolution of an existing product that has a lot of improvements.

Headset
  • Better comfort
  • IPD adjustment
  • Better audio
  • Moire' look issue resolved
  • larger in focus area
  • Longer single cable with better mount point on the headset
  • lower persistence
  • better brightness and color
Hand controllers
  • Better hand tracking if you need it
  • Much improved ergonomics for hand tracking if you want it.
  • Likely better battery life since it doesn't need illumination anymore
Those are all things that should improve the VR experience. I don't see a downside.

It's alive!

Order going in as soon as I can. I have an original Reverb and the resolution is astounding, so much so that going back to my Rift S is kind of jarring. I'd say it's the VR equivalent of gaming at 1080p on a regular monitor, and not 480p like on most other HMDs.

The only thing I hope is that they've managed to do something about the chromatic aberration, either with better lenses a'la Oculus, or with software a'la PSVR.

The downside for many will be that a 1080 ti/2080 super is an absolute minimum spec for this HMD to get the best out of it, and from my experience even a 2080 ti can't cut it at full resolution all of the time, but I'll be replacing my 2080 ti cards anyway as soon as the 3080 ti comes out.

These are all solid improvements and good things. The entire VR headset market is maturing.

I'm happy to see all VR Headsets moving towards better comfort and optics.

The first Pimax 8K headset was mostly for bragging rights, but didn't look as good as the Pimax 5K Plus and still had screen door. The Reverb gave us 8K that looked crisper, but had image issues, Moire' or Chromatic abberation etc, and it had a very small in focus area.

With the new Reverb we are seeing an 8K headset that actually delivers a clean sharp display.
The Pimax 8K+ will also have much improved optics, better comfort etc..

So good progress is being made on many fronts.

• Deleted member 197115

The whole 8K/4K designation is confusing.
Reverb officially refers to their headset as 4K, 2160x2160 per eye.

I'd say it's the VR equivalent of gaming at 1080p on a regular monitor, and not 480p like on most other HMDs.
To understand you right.
You are not actually saying that Reverb looks like 1080p - but more like your oppinion is that just like 1080p is the lowest acceptable res in monitors then the res in these Reverbs is the the lowest acceptable res in VR.
Right?:thumbsup:

It’s not properly a next gen headset. It will have some improvements but the resolution andFOV is the same and for us sim racers this is what does really count . I was hoping for a real 8K oled and 150-180 degrees of FOV.

To understand you right.
You are not actually saying that Reverb looks like 1080p - but more like your oppinion is that just like 1080p is the lowest acceptable res in monitors then the res in these Reverbs is the the lowest acceptable res in VR.
Right?:thumbsup:

Actually my lowest acceptable resolution in monitors is 720p. Framerate above everything else.

But OK as you ask for clarification the reverb is like a 65 inch 4k monitor being viewed from 1 meter away - that would equal a 32 inch monitor at 1080p from one metre away minus the FOV. Clear?

I think I'm going the get one and the by the launch there will be info on the 3080 (whatever) model that is required to run it, going to get one of those too. My rig is now good, my main priority is upgrading from the 2080/Rift S that I have now. No, it's not a bad setup, but I feel like I'm ready for the next step.

Hmm, decisions decisions. I've currently got a regular Reverb on order from Amazon for £530 that for some reason has been listed as "we'll email when we have a delivery date" for a week even though it was showing in stock when I ordered it. I knew this new one was on the horizon but suspected it might be more expensive given the leaks suggesting it shared various Index features etc and/or might go even higher resolution in which case it would need a monster GPU to run, but sounds like its going to be about the same price for what appears to be a lot of nice improvements whilst presumably no additional demand on the GPU given its the same resolution.

Having borrowed a friend's Rift CV1 for a couple of weeks I'm not sure I can wait until autumn to get my own headset but now thinking I might be better off cancelling the Amazon order and picking up a second hand Odyssey + or Rift CV1 for a few months then upgrading when this comes out.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

And first hands on review of Reverb G2

And the reviewer answering questions on reddit

Last edited by a moderator:
I might be better off cancelling the Amazon order and picking up a second hand Odyssey + or Rift CV1 for a few months then upgrading when this comes out.

That's exactly what I would do if it were me.

Your other option is to use the original Reverb for a few months and sell it on once you can get your hands on the new one. The problem with this option is you'll know it won't be as sought after once the G2 is out and might have to take a hit on the price.

Windows 10 May 2020 Update is publicly available with some WMR updates
You can force update via Update Assistant without waiting for your roll out turn if you are impatient and brave. :)

Still can't get rid of that damned virtual home by the looks of it. What the hell is it about VR soft/hardware producers and their bloody virtual homes - at least with oculus and steam you can turn these resource sapping eyesores off.

That's exactly what I would do if it were me.

Your other option is to use the original Reverb for a few months and sell it on once you can get your hands on the new one. The problem with this option is you'll know it won't be as sought after once the G2 is out and might have to take a hit on the price.

Yep, as you say I think I'll take quite a hit buying the Reverb brand new now then trying to sell it when the new one appears given its RRP will be the same, especially if the VR headset supply chains sort themselves out and other headsets like the Rift S etc become available again at ~£400 brand new as they were a couple of months ago, because at the moment secondhand prices seem to be inflated due to that lack of supply.

I had a rummage around on eBay and Facebook marketplace last night though and think I've found a couple of Windows MR headsets costing less than what I'd likely lose selling the new Reverb in a few months ago I've already cancelled the Amazon order as something like a Lenovo Explorer will do me fine for a few months and anything I get back reselling it will be a bonus.

Last edited:
I might consider switching to Reverb G2 from RIft S once it's available and reviewed. Couple of months ago I was considering switching to Reverb G1, but now I'll wait. Perhaps other companies will come out with something new as well. The price is also OK.

• Deleted member 197115

Still can't get rid of that damned virtual home by the looks of it. What the hell is it about VR soft/hardware producers and their bloody virtual homes - at least with oculus and steam you can turn these resource sapping eyesores off.
If you use Steam WMR it doesn't even load.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 496 39.2%